Family Campout Menu Ideas

I thought that barbeque was whenever you cooked using a grill.  If I invite people over for a barbeque they expect burgers and hot dogs. :D

nah, that's grillin'

BBQ is when you slather on sauce...

seriously though, I'm not sure if this is the book definition, but I've always thought of it as this

grilling = cooked on a grille over high to med high heat, fast cooking (i.e. steaks, chicken, burgers, etc...)

BBQ = lower heat and slow cooking, sometimes smoked cold or smoked warm, usually over a grille but not necessarily.... and always served with sauce cooked &/or slathered on or sauce on the side

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not Hebrew National brand. They answer to a Higher Authority.

Have you considered foil meals?  We have done hamburger, turkey burger, chicken burger with hash browns, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cheese or whatever veggie you like wrapped up in foil and p

I'm not a fan of foil meals It's a cool novelty & I know there are ways to do them better, and a lot of the result is in the ingredients.... and you have to have the proper heavy duty foil and

nah, that's grillin'

BBQ is when you slather on sauce...

True story... I went to college in Virginia.  At parent's weekend they had a barbecue with shredded pork sandwiches.  Afterwards, my parents said, "the food was good but there was no hamburgers or hot dogs... how could they call it a barbecue?"  

blw2 and Hedgehog: Just like some other terms, it depends on what part of the country you grew up in. My definition of "a barbecue" is the pretty much the same as Hedgehog's. Under our meaning, the term really describes a type of event; the food could be anything you could cook on a grill, usually hamburgers and hot dogs but there could be other stuff in addition, i.e. chicken, sausage (for sausage and pepper sandwiches), etc. It seems that in the South and maybe some other parts of the country, "barbecue" means the food itself. There, people say "We are eating barbecue." Where I'm from, people say "We are eating at a barbecue."

Edited by NJCubScouter

That is NOT Barbecue!!

That brisket stuff is smoked beef.  It's not bad, but it's not Que.  If it has BBQ in the name, it has to start with a curly tail.

Man, I'm sure not going to let this guy near my dog!

I'm with blw2. It's food. Sauce. It could be road kill porcupine but as long as it's been grilled and slathered with sauce, maybe even flavored with some hickory smoke, the food is called barbecue.

So far we have at least THREE different (though overlapping) definitions of "barbecue".

By the way, I just Googled "barbecue sauce for chicken." I think it is safe to say that a lot of other people share my belief that an animal need not have a curly tail to be barbecued.

Barbecues have multiple meanings where I am from.  

Barbeque can mean an event where grilling is involved and a sandwich also known as a Sloppy Joe.  It's made with hamburger, not pulled pork.  If one wishes the latter, then need to order a pulled pork sandwich.  :)

BBQ is more of what people would refer to as an adjective to ribs and would necessitate the slathering of sauces to be good.  Still this would not involve pulled pork, but usually smoked pork ribs.

Of course people else where would not necessarily know what brats, cheese curds, lefse, are nor pasties for that matter.

'Barbecue' can also be a verb, the process of producing barbecue. It is one of those wonderful all-purpose terms: noun, verb, adjective, product. [We went to the barbecue to watch them barbecue a goat and it turned out be some of the tastiest barbecued goat barbecue ever]

As for the hot dogs, (frankfurters, I mean, not literally hot 'dogs') Aaron's are pretty good too and they answer to that same high call. But I will always, always defer to those delectable, tender, tasty ribs.

Edited by ya lazima vumbi

Interesting re the consideration for picky eaters.

I guess I'm old.  I would never have a plan B for picky eaters.  

If a scout doesn't like what is being served, he can bring his own.   Or go hungry.    Usually, hunger will induce a picky eater to try something other "chicken" nuggets and other "food" of like kind.

Naturally, if a scout has a bona fide food allergy/medical/religious concern, I'll go the extra mile to accommodate.   But Johnny doesn't like stew because it has carrots in it?    Sorry.   Johnny can work up some courage and have some stew.   Or watch everyone else eat.   His choice.

BBQ comes from the Carribean barbacoa which traditionally is smoked goat, not smoked pig so I think we can safely say that the type of meat is not as important in BBQ as the process.  Heck, in eastern Kentucky, the choice of meat for true BBQ is mutton and in Kansas City, as famed for BBQ as Texas, the South and Chicago, is quite cosmopolitan about their meat choices for BBQ accepting pork. beef, chicken, turkey, smoked sausages and even fish.  For those down in Texas and down South now fighting off high blood pressure for the addition of Chicago to that list, it is there because BBQ Ribs is more of a Chicago tradition than anywhere else.

It's the process that's important.  In the US, BBQ refers to meat cooked slowly over indirect heat on a BBQ Grill or meat that is cooked by high temperature smoking.  Grilling is cooking directly over coals on a BBQ Grill (though in England, what we call grilling is what they call barbeque but since barbeque is a new world cooking process, we can just smile at them and say "bless their hearts").

BBQ sauce, while certainly an important condiment to serve with BBQ does not make barbeque BBQ.  Meat cooked via the BBQ process served without BBQ sauce is still BBQ (I realize this will be controversial for many BBQ lovers but there it is).  Other than the meat, there is only one other flavoring agent that is required for something to be BBQ - it is not the sauce, it is not a rub, it is not herbs and spices and salt and pepper.  The only other flavoring agent required for something to be BBQ is...Smoke.  Smoke flavoring is why we often add chips of hickory, apple wood, cherry wood or mesquite to our grills. 

I like all BBQ.   I've had good BBQ in the midwest, deep South, and even NJ.   Yes, NJ.   I was shocked.   Darn good flavor, and even a little zing.

Korean BBQ:   love that too.   The Koreans have so many different seasons, spices, and peppers that make all of their cuisine unique.   Wonderful!

Interesting re the consideration for picky eaters.

I guess I'm old.  I would never have a plan B for picky eaters.  

If a scout doesn't like what is being served, he can bring his own.   Or go hungry.    Usually, hunger will induce a picky eater to try something other "chicken" nuggets and other "food" of like kind.

Naturally, if a scout has a bona fide food allergy/medical/religious concern, I'll go the extra mile to accommodate.   But Johnny doesn't like stew because it has carrots in it?    Sorry.   Johnny can work up some courage and have some stew.   Or watch everyone else eat.   His choice.

The standard answer from my Mom who always like to experiment with new recipes... "You can try next door to see if what they are having is any better.  Otherwise there's peanut butter in the cupboard."

I learned to eat a lot of different things or go without supper.  Always my choice.  Never had the courage to see what the neighbors were having.... :)

The standard answer from my Mom who always like to experiment with new recipes... "You can try next door to see if what they are having is any better.  Otherwise there's peanut butter in the cupboard."

I learned to eat a lot of different things or go without supper.  Always my choice.  Never had the courage to see what the neighbors were having.... :)

Good memories, Stosh.

I recall my first summer camp.   At that particular age, I "thought" I didn't like eggs.

One day at camp our troop was scheduled for an early morning hike.   The camp cook got up before normal breakfast time, and with us scouts gathered around the griddle in the kitchen, cooked us fried eggs to order.

I had a choice.   Eat the eggs or go on the hike without breakfast.   So I ate them.   They were sublime!    First of many great life lessons I learned as a scout.

That same camp had the peanut butter plan that you mentioned.   At each meal, there were tins of USDA-issue peanut butter and jelly on each table.   And a loaf of white bread.   Don't like what's served?   Make a sandwich.   But in that crisp mountain air, we'd eat dinner till nothing was left, then have a couple sandwiches for dessert.

Edited by desertrat77

I thought that barbeque was whenever you cooked using a grill.

The word “barbecue†comes from the Caribbean word “barbacoa.†Originally, a barbacoa wasn’t a way of cooking food, but the name of a wooden structure used by Taino Indians to smoke their food. Due to the known diets of the Indians in question, it’s likely that the first barbecue consisted of some sort of fish, creatures from the sea obviously being plentiful in the Caribbean.  Besides used for cooking, the structure of sticks could also be used as an area for sleeping, storage, and shelter. 

Today ther are general two styles of  BBQ'ing...Smoking and Grilling

Smoking is done Low and Slow (usally 145-220) and usually Indirect Heat

Grilling is Done over High Heat..Direct Heat

Everyone Has their Style...

Dry Rub vs Sauce

Pork vs Beef

Ketchup vs Mustard Base Sauce ( refered to as a Carolina Style Sause)..

Wood vs Propane vs Electric

Ribs (Memphis vs Kansas City Style)

Brisket can be BBQ'ed either way..Low And Slow results in a juicer roast like cut..High Heat results in a Drier cut great for Dipping