Family Campout Menu Ideas

The last 3-4 years we have had Grilled Cheese, Hot Dogs, Chili and Dutch Oven Desserts for our Saturday night dinner at our Family Campouts.  We average 20-25 boys (and siblings) and about the same number of adults.  Any thoughts on different menu items that would feed that many and keep the majority of people satified with the menu?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not Hebrew National brand. They answer to a Higher Authority.

Have you considered foil meals?  We have done hamburger, turkey burger, chicken burger with hash browns, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cheese or whatever veggie you like wrapped up in foil and p

I'm not a fan of foil meals It's a cool novelty & I know there are ways to do them better, and a lot of the result is in the ingredients.... and you have to have the proper heavy duty foil and

Woks are bigger than DO's so we do a lot of stir-fry.  Do up big batch of minute rice and all the prep for the stir fry can be done up before going on the activity.  Just dump into hot wok and stir around until hot and it takes about as long as minute rice to cook.  

As an adult, if I were attending this campout, I'd be getting in my car and finding the nearest restaurant, pub or supper club.  Grilled cheese and hot dogs?  Obviously catering to the boys and their siblings without much thought to the parents and chili is just not enough to hold my interest as an adult.

What time of year are your family campouts?  Fall?  I'd be cooking up a big pot of stew, or a hearty spaghetti or pasta dish.  No grilled cheese (that's a lot of work for 70 people or so without a restaurant griddle).  I'd still keep hot dogs for the finicky kids (though if their grilled until just blackened, I'd snatch one up as a snack - don't want anyone to think I'm too good for a dog).

Spring/Summer?  BBQ - pulled pork or chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, brats - there are times of year where grilling up hot dogs makes a lot of sense, but you still need to add something for adults - Pulled pork or chicken, grilled chicken, hamburgers, bratwurst - these are things that are more likely to please the adults in the group.

Not saying what I would do, just saying what we have done...

Our pack's camping menu has historically been driven by a parent/scouter that likes to smoke meat.

and supplemented by a mom we used to have in the pack that owned a restaurant and bought stuff wholesale...

the smoked BBQ was good, but only if you like that sort of thing.  I do, but not all the time.

generally he's smoke up some pork butts, chicken, and maybe some ribs.  Sometimes supplement with grilled burgers and dogs for the picky kids... burgers would be the store bought patties....

this is generally done up on one of several tow behind "whole pig sized" grille/smokers that we have access too. (check your bank, sometimes they have them available, or your CO)

For breakfast  we'd heat up some restaurant bought pre-cooked sausages, eggs, bacon, and prebaked biscuits.... ok, but not great IMO

breakfast the last day would be single serving size cereals

lunches would be cold cut sandwiches.

Other ideas

a lot of folks like the "tin Soldier" foil packets thrown in the fire.  We've done it several times, with hamburger patties and other stuff thrown in.... personally I really don't like it..... but it is a novelty for most folks.  Maybe with better cuts of meat and proper ingredients I'd like it better....

I'd throw it out to the pack parents for favorite big group recipees..... since you're plop camping most likely, with the right equipment you can cook pretty much anything you would do at home, or in your church's activity hall for a large group.  Grille, bake, fry, whatever....

If you made this statement in Texas you might not make it out alive. ;)

As a Texan I completely agree.  The traditional Texas menu is Breakfast Tacos, Tex-Mex, BBQ (Brisket!), Pecan Pie.  The BBQ and Tex-Mex can be swapped between lunch and dinner.  Chili on Fritos can be a cheap easy substitute in an emergency  :-)

reminds me of another novelty,

taco in a bag

individual sized bag of fritos corn chips

to which you'll add browned ground beef, diced tomatoes, cheese, spices, etc....

eaten with a spoon right out of the bag

not my thing, but its a novelty

reminds me of another novelty,

taco in a bag

individual sized bag of fritos corn chips

to which you'll add browned ground beef, diced tomatoes, cheese, spices, etc....

eaten with a spoon right out of the bag

not my thing, but its a novelty

I like it and will have to mention it to my son for our next backpacking trip.

When I was a Cubmaster, the Pack grilled everything.  Usually hamburgers and hot dogs but you could do chicken (barbque sauce, teriyaki sauce, etc.), sausages, bratwursts and serve them all up on a bun.  

You also can do Dutch Oven pasta as a side -- easy and delicious.  Just throw in 2 pounds of ziti, two jars of pasta sauce and two jars of water -- stir, cook with 12 coals underneath and 15 on top for 45 minutes, add mozzarella cheese and cook for 5 minutes more.

That is NOT Barbecue!!

That brisket stuff is smoked beef.  It's not bad, but it's not Que.  If it has BBQ in the name, it has to start with a curly tail.

I thought that barbeque was whenever you cooked using a grill.  If I invite people over for a barbeque they expect burgers and hot dogs. :D

That is NOT Barbecue!!

That brisket stuff is smoked beef.  It's not bad, but it's not Que.  If it has BBQ in the name, it has to start with a curly tail.

Those are fighting words in Texas.  Wars have been started for less......