Colonial Va Council troubles

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All those big salaries will really eat up the program dollars....

@@gumbymaster professionals are not spending their time chasing donations. To think that way and to spread that assumption is harmful to Scouting volunteers and employees alike. Also I’d suggest cal

Actually, @@Krampus, we used to do this in our district and we got a lot of Webelos this way.  Most of the troops would actually have an activity for the boys to do rather than just talking at them an

@@desertrat77

:) That's not a fair question.... Ministers work for the Lord but get paid by the people...   Most of them don't think or act that way, but that's the theory....  :)

I'm thinking that according to no-for-profit corporations the employees are answerable to the BOD's.

@@Stosh, that is a good point.   I understand org chart/wiring diagram/chain of command.   But when the leadership of a non-profit org collectively starts conveying a disdainful attitude towards their very people that are a) executing the mission and b) raising the money to pay pro salaries, it signals something is wrong.   A disconnect.

I totally agree, there are churches and not-for-profits floundering and collapsing every day. 

Once the Ivory Tower becomes disconnected, the program will fail.  

One never seems to realize the dynamics that make a for-profit business successful are NOT THE SAME dynamics that will make a not-for-profit business successful.  They have different missions and different functional expectations to accomplish those missions.

A for-profit organization exists for only one reason to make a profit.  Wow, now there's a profound statement.

A not-for-profit organization exists for many reasons but one of them is not to make a profit.....

And yet there are those out there that think that both organizations can be run effectively under the business dynamics of just one business philosophy.  It ain't never gonna work, people!  :)

The Board of Directors of a for-profit corporation exist to please the stockholders.

The Board of Directors of a not-for-profit corporation exist to fulfill the mission of it's existence.

There are no stockholders in the BSA and when the BOD no longer remembers the mission of it's existence, then no one really knows why it is justified to continue existing.  Once there is a complete disconnect, the last remnants of the original mission will die off due to the lack of support.  From the comments of some of the forum, this disconnect has already happened.

Hah. Imagine if full-time Council employees were required to camp a weekend every month.  :D

I actually got in trouble when I was a DE because I camped a lot. In addition to district and council camporees,  I did OA events and IOLS training, or whatever the outdoor portion was called at the time. But I was single at that point.  Like ProScouter06 above, once you start spending 12 to 16 hour days, longer if you are assigned summer camp duties, you need time to away from Scouting. Especially if you have family.

BUT there are pro's out there who care and go above and beyond.  I have a picture to prove Hell froze over because a SE was in work clothes and actually doing cheerful service at an OA event. Blew a lot of people's minds.

<<I actually got in trouble when I was a DE because I camped a lot. In addition to district and council camporees,  I did OA events and IOLS training, or whatever the outdoor portion was called at the time. But I was single at that point.  Like ProScouter06 above, once you start spending 12 to 16 hour days, longer if you are assigned summer camp duties, you need time to away from Scouting. Especially if you have family.>> 

My personal aim is for district volunteers to do all the things they can do,  so the DE only has to do the things only he can do.

My theory is that it's important for DEs to have free time to socialize so we can look forward to a new generation of Tigers in a few years.

Regrettably,  we are quite a long ways from achieving that aim....

I worked with a DE for 2 years part time.  I was responsible for the Exploring program  in his district.  At first I thought that being an "assistant" while going to school full time would be fairly easy.  Well, it wasn't I was doing more than my 20/week and expected to do things way beyond my scope of job description.  I was given credit for starting 43 different Explorer Posts.  My work brought in enough scouts to cover the shortfall of scouts both in the Cub as well as Boy Scout quotas.  This was the era of declining membership struggles of the mid 70's.  I was also corralled into working on the council Bicentennial observances as well.  Like I said, 20/week would have been a nice job, but the pressure to perform coming from above the Council kept everyone pretty busy. 

Fortunately for me I did have volunteers that bailed out my butt on many an occasion.

As a non-profit corporation aren't they chartered with one of three specific purposes: 1) to serve a public interest, 2) to serve a specific group of individuals or 3) the non-profit's membership?

So wouldn't we (members) be in category 2 or 3?

Krampus:  Are you a Chartered Organization Representative?

If yes, you are a voting member.  If not, you're not.  You're a member of a unit chartered (licensed) by the local Council.

Words have meaning.

Krampus:  Are you a Chartered Organization Representative?

If yes, you are a voting member.  If not, you're not.  You're a member of a unit chartered (licensed) by the local Council.

Words have meaning.

Then why does BSA count me as a member? They should more correctly count my CO as a member, and me as a member of the chartered unit.

Words should have the same meaning, not just be convenient when someone wants to count "members" to artificially bump up their numbers.

Edited by Krampus

Yes, words have meaning.  But sometimes, they have more than one meaning.

I was an IH of a chartered organization.  As such, I was a voting member of the council.  

For those of you "members" who have never had a vote in the council, I can honestly say that you haven't missed much.  I can also assure you that the execs display exactly the same level of disdain to us as they do to all of the other volunteer scouters. 

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

You are describing Scouting in N.E. Ohio for the four years before B.S.A. arrived, finding ninety-nine troops --- and in Orange County, California in the twelve years before B.S.A. arrived.

So does this Council have training?  If so, no big deal.