Jamboree..&..scouting magizine

Ok..first off. I was at the 2005 Jamboree website, and the attendance requirements include:

"Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts must be at least First Class Scouts. They must have completed the sixth grade or be at least 12 years of age by July 1, 2005, but not have reached their 18th birthday by August 3, 2005."

What about Venture Scouts?? I am a Venture Scout age 19, and hopefully will attend Scoutmaster training soon for my troop but not sure since I'm away at school. Anyway just wondering...

My other question:

I want to recieve Scouting Magizine but can find a place on the web site to subscribe..only a change of address area..any thoughts..thanks !!

Yours in Scouting

VentureScoutNY

Scouting Magazine is for adult scouters and unlike Boys' Life, is paid as part of the annual adult registration fee.

Jamboree is an activity held for members of the Boy Scout Program, as opposed to the Cub Scout or Venturing Program. There is a special Venturing program area that will be staffed by a group of Venturers however no Venturing Units or Venturers will be at the Jamboree as participants.

Hope this answers your questions.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Hi

Sad as it may seem the Jamboree is a Boy Scout event. You can apply to attend as a Staff Member.

The best way to find out about Scouting Magazine is through your council registrar. It has to do with what and how you are registered.

Hope this helps.

Eamonn

In answer to the Scouting magazine question, call your council service center and speak to your DE. I recommend registering as College Scouter Reserve. Paying the registration fee will continue your Scouting magazine.

Did I say that out loud? ;) Back to looking for an apartment in Cleveland.

DS

Thanks for the tip on the Magizine DS. I will look into that today.

I'm surprised that the Jamboree is just a Boy Scout event. I would think it would be great to see all branches of Scouting represented. I have always loved reading up about Sea Scouts. In years past I thought that all branches did attend, like the Air Exploreres of the fifties etc.. Maybe if it were open for some cubs, they would be able to see a much bigger world of scouting than what they normally see at pack nights. As we all know Scouting is a huge Movement..i Feel like it doen't get the positive Publicity it deserves sometimes.

VentureScout,

Including Cubs would not be pratical. The Jamboree is expensive to attend ($1900 per person in our contingent), lasts for 10 days, requires using the patrol method and patrol cooking in the campsites. Flying a bunch of 6 to 10 year old Cubs a thousand miles from home for 10 days to live in BSA wall tents without parents would be asking for nothing but trouble. A contingent is made up of troops. The size of the council determines how many troops are in your contingent. My council will have 4 troops. There will be 4 patrols of 8 boys each and 4 adult leaders per troop. Cubs just don't fit into the mix.

In the past visitors have been allowed at jamboree however the 2005 jamboree may be different . The event has been held at Ft. A.P. Hill Army Base since 1980. Because of the current political climate it is possible that the base will be closed to visitors. I do not know that any final decision has been made this early by the military. But be aware that there is the possibility that the Jamboree could be closed to visitors.

It's possible that a decision will not be made until shortly before the event.

Bob White

This is from the Senior Scouting Web Site:

"Venturing will again be represented at the upcoming 2005 National Scout Jamboree. I again expect a big Venturing/Sea Scout exhibit of some kind, but am also hearing that there will be a Venturing subcamp! So prehaps finally Venturers can be Jamboree participants."

This is the link:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/8826/overview.html

I have a few questions for you:

1. Are you also an ASM with a troop? (if yes, disregard the other questions)

2. Why are you attending Scoutmaster training?

3. As a youth Venturer, why do you want Scouting magazine?

That being said, you should recieve Scouting magazine automatically if you are registered as an ASM.

Oh, for male Venturers in the proper age range for attending as youth they can likely go as a part of the council contingent.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

I am registered as an Assistant Scoutmaster in my troop, as well as a youth member in a Venuture Crew. I was thinking about attending scoutmaster training with a friend...but I just added that in there..i guess I didnt have to say that, it was just ramble. I want to recieve Scouting Magizine because I enjoy reading that compared to a younger Boy's Life.

But I did recently talk to my DE and he said I would be recieving Scouting Magizine soon since, they thought I was just a youth in a crew, and wasn't aware that I was a leader in my Troop.

But what I am still interested in is the Jamboree info concering Venturers.

Here is a good rule of thumb. If you want answers about the scouting program go to BSA resources. There is an awful lot of wrong info on the internet. The Jamboree is for participants from the Boy Scout division, that means Troops and Teams. Regardless of what the Senior Forums say, read what the BSA has to say after all it is their program.

http://www.scouting.org/jamboree/attend.html