How to manage a growing pack?

Hi, I am a new Cub Master in Minnesota.  Was a Tiger den leader last year.  We had 7 scouts in the Tiger den and had a great year last year.  Looking to this year, we have had a good recruiting season so far and have gained 9 new Wolf scouts - a total of 16 wolf scouts in the pack.  I would like input about having two dens this year and how to make the roster for each den.  Should I "shuffle the deck" and start with two totally new dens, or should I keep last year's den mostly as is and have the new scouts form their own new den?  Two parents from last year's den have told me their preference is to keep our den together in order to allow the scouts to continue their friendships.  However, my first inkling has been to shuffle the deck for the reason that I am concerned a totally new den may feel left out a bit.  For reference, the original den has good den leadership in place, and there is a new parent who has expressed interest to be a new den leader.   I would like more input to how to manage the rosters if anyone on this forum can give any guidance..  Thank you.  

@@WinonaPack9

Welcome from the next town down river.

I would tend to want to keep the old gang together for a couple of reasons.  The parents will be happier (that's important) and their rational of bonding from the year before is valid.  

New guys with a new DL.  No problem, everyone starts fresh and it's no big deal.  If the newbie DL needs guidance, the old DL is just a phone call away.

Hi, I am a new Cub Master in Minnesota.  Was a Tiger den leader last year.  We had 7 scouts in the Tiger den and had a great year last year.  Looking to this year, we have had a good recruiting season so far and have gained 9 new Wolf scouts - a total of 16 wolf scouts in the pack.  

16 boys in one den is waaay to many to handle even with 2 adults.  

I would like input about having two dens this year and how to make the roster for each den.  Should I "shuffle the deck" and start with two totally new dens, or should I keep last year's den mostly as is and have the new scouts form their own new den?  Two parents from last year's den have told me their preference is to keep our den together in order to allow the scouts to continue their friendships.  However, my first inkling has been to shuffle the deck for the reason that I am concerned a totally new den may feel left out a bit.

First of all the new boys don't know what they're missing because they weren't with the program last year.  The parents recognize the bonding going on and have said so.  Your first inkling doesn't count, this is FOR THE BOYS.  Always remember that.  When in doubt ask the boys.  The new den won't feel left out unless they are and are shunned which isn't going to happen.

For reference, the original den has good den leadership in place, and there is a new parent who has expressed interest to be a new den leader.   I would like more input to how to manage the rosters if anyone on this forum can give any guidance..  Thank you.  

Just train your DL's and trust their judgment.  As long as they have the boy's best interest at heart, things will go well.  It sounds a bit like you're too worried over nothing.  The new leader and new den will do just fine on their own, bond like the first den and a year from now you'll wonder why you bothered to put this on the forum.  :)

I agree to keep the plank owners together... UNLESS there's a friend in the new group of one of the old boys.....

In my son's den, of what's left of the original tigers.... there are really two groups of friends.  It would be a non issue to split these groups if there was a mutual friend in the new group.

Also, our den has been big, almost that big in the past... I suggested to the DL that we consider splitting it but he wanted to hold off....many of the boys turned out to be very inactive, some eventually dropped....

Almost every den has had some small percentage of inactive and drops... they join but reality doesn't match the promises of the DE at the school presentations

I'd almost suggest waiting a couple months to see who sticks.... maybe one den will do in the end.  Just maybe

It's a lot tougher to plan a den meeting than it is to conduct one.

I'd identify one person who is willing and able to organize den meetings, and another couple of people who will present the den meeting program to two dens.  The person planning the den meetings could conduct one of the program meetings if they wish to do so.

I think there's no right answer ... all Scouting is Local.

Keeping the old gang together might work ... if the new gang has decent leader resources.  

Doing a new mix of new and old might be better, depending on the kids and parents.

When I had 8 Tigers turn into 16 Wolves in 2005, we actually did a full mix, in order to (1) split up some friends who, uh, probably needed some "separate from each other time", and (2) split up the leader resources so that there would be a good mix of leaders and assistants, and the "new" leader would have a bit more "assistant" help.

We've had other dens grow to double the size where the "new guys" had a good set of potential leaders and did just fine with little mixing.

I haven't had to deal with this issue yet, but our Pack has been growing and I can see this becoming an issue in the near future.  I've been putting some thought into it, and here are a few things I've been pondering:

• If the parents are interested, have the two dens meet on different nights.  We've lost some Scouts because they have a conflict on our traditional Den Meeting night.  Having a second night might be a recruiting/retention tool.
  • Ultimately, see if the boys/parents have a preference.  This could backfire if they all want to be in one den, but at the same time if two friends want to be in the same den (one old scout, one new scout), you'll probably lose one or both if you force a split.
  • Give the Dens some identity beyond just a Den number.  Den yells/cheers, etc. can help them establish their own identities.
  • I like the idea of having one person plan the meetings for both dens, and the other den leaders execute the plans.  This could really help the new Den Leader since many are overwhelmed at first and don't know where to start.

We recently split up our wolves into two dens. We were at 12 as tigers and held off splitting until this year. We thought they would naturally lose boys over the summer. Instead they recruited friends to join. We worked with the den leaders for the wolves. Mixed it up some. We figured if you recruited a friend to join then that friend should get to be in your den. Spilt up some who behave better when apart. We tried to keep existing pack friendships intact. It seems to be working well so far.