Do you repeat requirements?

In our Webelos den we have 9 boys.  We usually have about 7 in attendance at various meetings.  We have changed days to accommodate what we believed to be the most people. (We had a couple complaints a month after the fact....they had a chance to speak up but did not.)

So this weekend is the big pack camp out and we plan to do some of the Cast Iron Chef and Webelos Walkabout requirements, such as cooking a meal and completing the 3 mile hike.

Only 6 of the boys are coming.  So do we repeat the requirements at a den meeting or just tell them to complete them on their own?  

What do you usually do in your group?

We've done both approaches.  Some things have a "with your den" requirement which essentially requires a repeat.  Now there will come a point where you can't rearrange everything for a small number of kids and they may just need to lose out.  In your example, since there was a date change, I think you should repeat as a courtesy.  One approach might be having a special meeting for just those who missed the first time around.  We've done that before.

I took over a Webelos 1 program because there were no Webelos 2 boys.  The first year we went through as many of the pins as possible and most of the boys did just fine, a couple missed the meetings for whatever reason.  So the second year we did them again but at a more intense level to keep the repeaters interested.  Communications pin we did some flashlight Morse code and a little flag work from two remote areas, etc.  Kids loved it and when we were done, everyone was very happy with the pins and program.

So stop an think a moment, what's wrong with two outings of fun rather than just the one?  I don't think one will get any complaints when it is announced that the den has to go on another outing so the other boys can get their pins.  At least I never had any of the boys complain about having to go have fun twice.

• Upvote 2

A lot of the Den leaders in my pack will focus one getting one time through the required activities (requirements, adventures, pins, etc.), and making sure the parents of Scouts who miss the material know what to work on from home.

Once the required elements have been gone through, they will, to the best of their ability, go back and work on filling in the missed activities with the boys who need it; this is also an ideal time to put skilled parents to work, and a den chief - if you have a good one; as there are many boys, and what they haven't done is all over the map.

As a pack, I also try to design our group activities to cover wide ranges of rank requirments, thus providing one more opportunity to (1) work on the skill, or (2) reinforce what was learned; without explicitly repeating the way it was done the first time.

I should clarify - we changed the day we meet as a den this year to try and accommodate more boys due to sports and the amount of homework in 4th grade, and the den leaders work schedule.

The camp out we are having to finish several of the activities has been set in stone for months.  We have a few kids that miss meetings however due to being at the other parents house (and the parent with custody will not allow the other parent on the e-mail list) or they chose a family outing instead. 

For the most part, we don't mind repeating requirements, as long as the kids / parents are making a true effort to be there most of the time. 

However, we did the shopping requirements for cast iron chef yesterday and only a couple showed up.  We will have them do on their own as it should not be difficult.  (I know several of the kids had a bunch of homework last night...including mine, but he went anyway.  Some of the parents won't bring them if they have a lot of homework.)

Get out of the habit/mentality of one and done.

It will be GOOD for the boys to repeat requirements, but doing them in a different way the 2nd time, so anyone who has already done it won't be bored, and anyone who hasn't done it yet will be able to finish the adventure. Have the boys that already did it one time work to teach it to their buddy that missed out whenever possible, which will help them take over the boy lead of boy scouting.

Of course, sometimes you just don't have time to get everything done twice.  So focus on repeating parts of required badges often enough for completion, if you leave one thing or so to be done at home, that's fine.  And electives become just that, don't repeat electives unless it's a useful scout skill like knots or cooking or hiking and camping or first aid

• Upvote 2

Get out of the habit/mentality of one and done.

It will be GOOD for the boys to repeat requirements, but doing them in a different way the 2nd time, so anyone who has already done it won't be bored, and anyone who hasn't done it yet will be able to finish the adventure. Have the boys that already did it one time work to teach it to their buddy that missed out whenever possible, which will help them take over the boy lead of boy scouting.

SO VERY TRUE!  ( Emphasis, OK maybe a little shouting in joy ;)  ) 

• Upvote 1

At what point do you draw the line?

We are planning to repeat the 3 mile hike and cast iron cooking during a regular (extended) den meeting.  But I guess my thought is if they miss it a second time, they need to do it on their own.  After another month or so, the weather here will be rather unpredictable.

We also only had 2 scout show up to do the grocery shopping portion of the Cast Iron Chef.  I think for that they can make it up with their families.  That should not be difficult for anyone.  

Of course, sometimes you just don't have time to get everything done twice.  So focus on repeating parts of required badges often enough for completion, if you leave one thing or so to be done at home, that's fine.  And electives become just that, don't repeat electives unless it's a useful scout skill like knots or cooking or hiking and camping or first aid

You do things, sometimes repeat them adding to the expereince, as time contraints allow.

I am very patient and I repeat the requirements as many times as necessary for the boys to understand them. I want to make sure that when they DO whatever the requirement 'requires', they do it right so they don't have to do it again.

We are planning to repeat the 3 mile hike and cast iron cooking during a regular (extended) den meeting.  But I guess my thought is if they miss it a second time, they need to do it on their own.  After another month or so, the weather here will be rather unpredictable.

We also only had 2 scout show up to do the grocery shopping portion of the Cast Iron Chef.  I think for that they can make it up with their families.  That should not be difficult for anyone.  

I think you draw the the line at 2 attempts, definitely no more than 3.  At some point there needs to be the expectation that kids will make the effort and/or commitment to attend events if scouting is a priority.  It's perfectly ok for kids to prioritize other things (sports, music, family time, etc), but they need to recognize the pack can't rearrange for them.  There's nothing wrong with participating when you can and just not earning the rank.  Scouting does not have to be about earning rank and checking off requirements.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies.  We are doing the cooking and hike twice and repeating several others.  Some of the ones I find to be a struggle are the ones like the fitness trail / obstacle course where they are supposed to repeat it twice and show improvement.  It is hard when there are 3/4 of them at the first meeting and 3/4 at the second, but not the same ones...then half are done, the other half are only half done.  Sigh.  We had a third day we were going to do it and it rained.  Of course, we also had some really bad behavior and one of the boys broke one of our stations (he knocked it over and jumped on it.)

I love scouts so much, but after 8 years of volunteering I am starting to get frustrated.  I totally understand kids missing meetings (mine have due to sports!) but when the kid misses and the mom says she "forgot" it just wears me out.  Oh well.  We will get through it!!

I love scouts so much, but after 8 years of volunteering I am starting to get frustrated.  I totally understand kids missing meetings (mine have due to sports!) but when the kid misses and the mom says she "forgot" it just wears me out.  Oh well.  We will get through it!!

I think you've found where you draw the line. ;)

The physical fitness follow-up can be done at home, if they missed. One of the other parents could plan a hike and cook-out for the boys who missed both days ... if they cared. Them not caring is not your problem.

Getting back to the point where you're happy that a few boys nail down the program for advancement and the rest just tag along for fun, that's the only problem you have.

So, new to the forum, but a situation came up recently where we were doing the sporting event thing for Games Tigers Play (cub scouts Tiger requirement).

One of the parents disagreed with the sporting event I chose (asked for input multiple times, didn't get any) and decided not to show up.  Now her son is in jeopardy of not receiving his belt loop.  Do I just ask them to go to an event of their choice and do A B and C or is this a situation where I need to bring the whole den again?

It seems unfair to the kids who took the time to meet to have to meet again due to this one parent's decision.

So, new to the forum, but a situation came up recently where we were doing the sporting event thing for Games Tigers Play (cub scouts Tiger requirement).

One of the parents disagreed with the sporting event I chose (asked for input multiple times, didn't get any) and decided not to show up.  Now her son is in jeopardy of not receiving his belt loop.  Do I just ask them to go to an event of their choice and do A B and C or is this a situation where I need to bring the whole den again?

It seems unfair to the kids who took the time to meet to have to meet again due to this one parent's decision.

First, welcome!

There is more "follow-your-heart" stuff to this than the program would lead you to believe.

First, there is no harm in not getting a belt loop.

Second absolutely encourage the parent and child to pursue this on their own.

Finally, no, you don't have to bring the whole den again, but keep an open mind. If that family is into some sport that would be really fun for the boys to see, and few of you could make the time to join him, go for it!