Brand Brand new to scouts

my 9 year old joined the scouts and at the first meeting they signed me up as a den leader! Wow, I never saw that coming! That was in December 2004. I've only had a handful of meetings but so far everything is going smoothly (fingers crossed so i dont jinx myself) I only have 5 bears. And I'm having a good time, they are having a good time and we'll see. We are in Grants Pass, Oregon.

Hi Singmee,

Welcome to the "campfire". I like this forum. It has answered a lot of my questions and are very welcoming--I am just extending what I received. I have a first-year webelo and am on the Pack's committee.

Good luck to you and your bears,

Sylvia

Welcome! Alot of us started out the same way ;) Don't expect to know everything at once... it's a process. If you're having fun, and they're having fun, your doing great! It's when all that stops you should worry. I'd like to recommend any training you can get (packs usually pay for it). I've done all training except for Okpik and Woodbadge. Enjoy the scouting trail with your son... you won't regret it!!!

Hi Sparkie,

I am all for training as well. It adds to the support you feel when you hear similar stories and can even help the next person. Please enlighten me, I have heard about the greatness of the Woodbadge training but what in the world is Okpik?

YIS, Sylvia

Hi Encourager, Okpik is the Inuit (Eskimo) name for the Arctic or snowy owl. It's the BSA's cold-weather camping program started at Northern Tier National Adventure Base in Ely, Minn. Here's a link if interested... www.ntier.org/okpik.html. My significant other is on staff at our council.

Hot diggety! We got another one!

Welcome aboard. Welcome to Scouting. Based on your search and find that led you to us, I'm willing to bet that you're going to be an outstanding leader.

These forums can give you access to a lot of knowledgable people, but don't forget that your own best resources are local -- district volunteers, roundtables, the council office, etc.

Have fun in Scouting.

Unc.

Welcome and good luck, Singme!!!

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions -- these guys are all about answers!

Make sure you get your hands on a Program Helps!! And ditto on the training!

Bears only need to do 12 out of the 24* Handbook Achievements, so don't think you need to be everything to everybody. Plan Den activities that are fun and purposeful and help parents see that the family has a share of the responsibility and the fun activities -- some of those Bear requirements must be done at home!

Try to keep parents informed about what you're planning and accomplishing as a Den so they can plan what they need to do to help their son succeed.

Good Luck and visit often!!

jd

*The 12 Achievements not used to earn the Bear Badge can be used as Electives for Arrow Points.(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

I would also like to welcome you. I started as a Weblos Leader. Now my husband is a SM and I'm involved in troop, distrtrict and Council committees. Looking back at my time as a weblos leader and later a cub master. The training is so important ,,, so are the other resourses, Go to the roundtables if you can, Stresses from personality diffences and differences of oppionion may come upon you for awhile. I Some of it can be ridden out with the advice and encouragement found from frllow scouters you meet in real life and on the net.

Most of us are here becuse we beleive in scouting, want to do the best we can for the scouts we serve and we also has fun whlle were doing it,

May God bless your efforts,

and may the wind be always at you back.

spinnaker