Scoutmaster lost sons Blue cards (4 of them, 2 Eagle)

FYI @@Stosh I own the "right" color blue cardstock myself so I can print them the "right" color. ;)

But it's not necessary.

I hope you're printing them in black ink!

and do you have one of those paper cutters that cuts them squarely?

Oh, and is your nickname "Monk"?

Okay, okay, his is my 3rd edit.  But did anyone check to see if these cards are copyrighted?  :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well ... At least the guy's consistent. So, son should call his Cit. Nat. MBC and ask if he/she wouldn't mind sending a copy of his record. Lacking that record, son can ask him if he/she can sign if s

I don't usually post a lot. I read a great deal. I get confused sometimes in this forum because most of the time I have learned that consulting the official scout documents is always the way to go. La

If it helps, we have our new scouts use the baseball card holders you can get at Hobby Lobby to store their rank and blue cards. My son got in the habit a long time ago of using the iPad to take pics

@

We have had a few scouts in our district show up to their Eagle BOR with the blue cards for merit badges that had not been entered into internet advancement yet.  And they still got their Eagle, cause the paperwork part screw up is an adult thing, and adult screw ups shouldn't hold up a boy from advancement. 

I think you need to request a copy of your son's advancement report directly from council office.  Call them up and see if they will email you a pdf of it.  That can be very useful so you can see how far back you need to go to get the troop records, the internet advancement records and your son's records (book + blue cards+ mb/rank cards given at CofHs) to totally match. 

Sometimes when people get behind on the paperwork, they enter advancement into internet advancement cause they need that report to buy the badges, and figure they'll enter stuff into Troopmaster later.  Most do it the other way around, enter it in troopmaster, cause then they can upload the report to internet advancement, but sometimes the auto upload doesn't work cause names and identifying info doesn't match exactly or some other glitch.

I hope you're printing them in black ink!

and do you have one of those paper cutters that cuts them squarely?

Oh, and is your nickname "Monk"?

Okay, okay, his is my 3rd edit.  But did anyone check to see if these cards are copyrighted?   :)

We don't normally print blue cards, cause it is less expensive AND less time is involved to just buy them than to buy the blue cardstock, pay to print them(or buy ink) and then to cut them apart--and then you have to cut them apart as completed into each of the three segments as well.  It's a bit of a hassle.  Our council camp does like it when we print our own for summer camp, cause the three segments don't get separated as easily during summer camp stuff when there is a lot of wear on blue cards.

Someone thought it was such a good idea to print them that they bought a box of blue cardstock and donated it to the troop. So we  occasionally print blue cards but most of them we buy.  If bsa would sell them three on a sheet so we could run them thru the printer with a template to fill in name of scout and unit number etc, that would be very useful for summer camp purposes, but that takes away the scout doing part of the work to own the process.

Of course they are copyrighted to the BSA! everything is copyrighted to the BSA in scouting isn't it?

Before any of our scouts get too far into their life rank I print a copy of their advancement progress from internet advancement, as that is the information that council and natiol sees.  If there are any mistakes I can correct th right then.  When a scout is ready to fill out his Eagle Application I again print out the advancement progress reportgive it to the scout.  I tell him to be sure that he uses thes in internet advancement on his application.  Those are the dates that council will be looking at when the approve the application, not the date on the blue cards.  We have had no issues with Eagle applications at council since I started this procedure.

Our scouts are told that it is their responsibility to keep track of their blue cards as proof that they were earned if ag should happen with the paperwork.

After I submit the merit badge date in internet advancement I scan the blue cards and keep them in that scout's file on my cloud storage device at home.  It may sound excessive but one of our scouts lost his home 10 days before his project.  He lost everything including his signed proposal.  It could have been rebuilt but having that copy saved a ton of hassle.

Sighhh, now hubby says SM is "done" looking for information sent over from old troop to his. I am so disenchanted with scouting right now.  Son should be working on his Eagle project in February.  I know that's along time and we should have this straightened out by then.  But the attitude and the follow-up, lack of, hurts.

So YOU contact the prior troop and get the info and hand deliver it to the scoutmaster, and again ask if there is anything you or X committee member can do to help him with all the piles of paperwork so he can focus on the scouts.

And if he doesn't help at that point with it all laid out easy for him,, then go find a different troop. 

sighhhh with tears, no troops left to meet on Sundays in area.  Need Sundays because of Sports.  Prior troop gave all information already to new troop.  Just want son to get his Eagle project done.  I would LOVE to help this fella out, but I am just the mom.  Son knows only that the 4 BC's are missing at this point.

I have an email in to council to try and find out which MB's were filed and which are not.  Maybe it isn't as bad as I am thinking it is.  I am one to get things done now, not three wee ks from now.  Lady I need to speak with at council office is off today, but will be in tomorrow.

Sighhh, now hubby says SM is "done" looking for information sent over from old troop to his. I am so disenchanted with scouting right now.  Son should be working on his Eagle project in February.  I know that's along time and we should have this straightened out by then.  But the attitude and the follow-up, lack of, hurts.

So then it is his responsibility to START all over again and get it done.  Obviously "For the boys" is not one of his leadership skills.  If a scout screws up we hold them accountable.  Well, a little lead by example for this SM would be a good place to start with him.

If your son is a Life Scout, there is no need to complete all of the Merit Badges before the project. In fact, I recommend most of our Life Scouts to get started on the Eagle Project ASAP (and I'm the Life to Eagle Coordinator for my troop).    I've noticed that when the Eagle Project is complete, a lot of boys can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and will put their merit badge work on high gear.

Edited by perdidochas
  • Upvote 1

sighhhh with tears, no troops left to meet on Sundays in area.  Need Sundays because of Sports.  Prior troop gave all information already to new troop.  Just want son to get his Eagle project done.  I would LOVE to help this fella out, but I am just the mom.  Son knows only that the 4 BC's are missing at this point.

I have an email in to council to try and find out which MB's were filed and which are not.  Maybe it isn't as bad as I am thinking it is.  I am one to get things done now, not three wee ks from now.  Lady I need to speak with at council office is off today, but will be in tomorrow.

I thought that your son had his copy of the BC's?  if so, he should be set. If I were you, I'd bring him to the Council with those cards, and ask if they can record them in the advancement database for you.  The signed scout portion of the Blue Card is all he needs for proof of completion.  

My thoughts.

1) YOUR SON (emphasis) should contact the old troop and get a copy of the records, even if they turned it in to the new troop. His rank, his responsibility.

2) YOUR SON needs to bug the heck out of the SM to the point of providing COPIES (emphasis again) of his signed portion of the blue card. Squeaky wheel get the oil so to speak.

3) YOUR SON needs to contact the council office and get a copy of his records ASAP (yep emphasis).  I've seen too many times where paperwork that was turned in to a council and council either had the wrong dates or didn't put it into the records.  Grant you I've dealt with this a lot on the Cub Scout level, but dealt with one case where the Eagle Candidate was denied the EBOR by the Council because in reviewing their records, he was listed as a First Class Scout.

4) Your son can start work on his project as soon as he gets Life. I too recommend getting the project completed as soon as you earn Life because I've known too many people wait to the last minute and either do projects that meet the requirements, but know they could have done a better job if they didn't wait to the last minute, or not get Eagle as a result of the project. In one case the Life Scout had 56 MBs. In another case, the Scout waited so long to do the project, he appealed all they way up to national for an extension to do the project. It was denied.

@, just curious...but do you think the scoutmaster is dragging his feet because your son is 14 and ready for Eagle? I bring this up only because I have seen a few people in the past not be responsive to younger Life scouts because they don't see the urgency or because they feel that if they process the Eagle paperwork too fast they will lose the scout. Others simply object to young Eagles and dragging their feet is their way of slowing down the scout. None of these are proper ways for adults to act toward scouts.

Just wondering if this might be a reason for this scoutmaster's action. But yeah, if you're in Texas drop on by. ;)