Eagle COH Ideas and Scripts

We have two organizations near by that will bring a live Eagle and do a presentation as part of a Court of Honor.

Great idea. We have a raptor center in Wylie. Maybe they will bring an Eagle if the price is right. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

In my youth, it was the tradition of my troop that the Scout planned his own court of honor.  After all, a scout's career will be very different than that of his fellows - OA, venturing, camp staff ... the types of adventures that defined THEIR eagle journey.

The Scout worked with the SPL for the troop to run flags; they worked with their parents to work out a budget and the type of refreshments they would do.

The scout would generally select a few speakers (Scoutmasters, School Teachers, OA/Crew advisors, Scout peers) to describe their journey from the eyes of others.

Maybe a slide show during the presentation, usually a display table / picture album before the ceremony and during the reception.

My Scoutmaster, in addition to his own speach, and reading the congratualtory letters received, made some unexpected presentations, and lined up a suprise speaker for some quick words.  Leon Pinetta in my case, when he was still only a local congressman.

Ending the ceremony with the Scout's own words about their journey, what they learned, what it means to them to make this achievement.

The Scout is the one that really knows what was important to him, and with each ceremony being very personal, it doesn't get old if I troop has more than a few in short order.  Although traditionally men do not have a big role in wedding planning, and this isn't usually quite that elaborate, the spirit of organizing the ceremony and reception was very much the same - as is the skills learned by the boy (still boy led learning).

Most people don't like to organize their own accolades, and it definately puts them well outside their comfort level.  However, they walk away from this knowing they could even organize a conference, speach or similar event if they needed or wanted to.

And finally, Congratulations for you both.

Edited by gumbymaster

I've done or seen a bunch of OA ECOHs. I liked them. At one of them, the Eagle even performed a dance at. I've seen everything from a big shindig, to a coh after a troop coh. I also know of one eagle being mailed everything (he was active duty USAF).

My troop had a set script.While the SM and CC played a role, the Eagle usually had a choice in who did what, i.e. who his honor guard is, who had what speakingparts, who is lighting the cansles, etc. I had friends and mentors in the various roles.

I'ld talk to your son and see what he wants to do.

GOOD LUCK!