Travel Sports Coaches - rant

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to coach select soccer. The fact is most players will play through high school and not even make their college team. Most teams are not even as elite as they think they are. But you see school

Going on a tangent ... but I believe it's related because BSA is wrong to position scouts such that it competes with sports.    BSA needs to market itself in a different way because BSA just can't c

This topic comes up weekly with me--especially in the fall and spring. Sports is the number one priority. For the all of the dedication of time and money, you'd think every kid was a sure thing future

I agree with that. I call it "balance", Barry calls it puzzle pieces, its all the same idea. The problem is with those coaches who demand to be the entire puzzle, and those parents who go along with that.

Yes, and sometimes the picture the parents see on the puzzle is themselves.

Barry

• Upvote 1

Well said. When I was teaching Scoutmaster Fundamentals, I told the participants that they are servants of the parents. Imagine that the scout is a puzzle that the parents are building to make the person they possible can. His teacher is one puzzle piece, the piano teacher is another and the Sunday school teacher is another and yes, the coach. Parents hand pick these people they believe the guidance, experience and social interaction is building the perfect man. So when we leaders get anode with a scouts busy schedule that is getting in the way of our scouting world, remember it is honor to be chosen by the parents to be their part of their team. We are just one puzzle piece. Nothing more.

I was also a soccer coach the entire time I was a scout leader.

Barry

I really like the analogy, can I steal (I mean adopt) it for my JSN's?

Some people here have said that recreational team sports are only for kids.  I strongly disagree.  A lot of adults like me continued to play team sports in the recreational adult leagues.  My game is 16 inch softball.  

I have been told that park districts and YMCA's actually have more adults participating in team sports than children.  I can believe it.  Today's adults seem to be much more physically active than my parents were at my age.

This may be one of the reasons why youth sports are winning out over scouting.  Mom and dad are playing team sports.  Maybe grandma and grandpa are playing, too.  

Edited by David CO

David, I think the difference is that your adult-league softball coach is probably not telling you that you need to be at practice five afternoons/evenings a week and that if you miss Wednesday's practice to attend a troop meeting, you are going to be benched for Saturday's game against Joe's Muffler Shop. If he did, you would probably laugh at him. Unlike a boy in the fifth or sixth grade, nobody's putting pressure on you to be the star of the softball team so you can be the star in high school or the AAU team and then get a college scholarship and/or make the pros. You aren't trying to make the pros or get a scholarship. You are playing for fun and recreation. Many kids are being told by their parents that they are playing for their future.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Actually, yes.  If I sign up for a Wednesday night league, my team mates do expect me show up on Wednesday nights.  They are busy people, too.  They have to adjust their schedules.  They would not be happy with me I wasted their time by not showing up.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1

After multiple knee surgeries my athletic career was over before I turned 30.  I did the 110 miles of Philmont wearing a knee brace.  I am scheduled for an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in December for more.

Not everyone has that opportunity in life.  My knee brace has never kept me from sitting round the campfire with my scouts though.  :)

• Upvote 1

Stosh, I'm sorry to hear that you have a bad knee.

My favorite old scouting movie is "Room For One More" with Cary Grant, about a handicapped foster child who couldn't play sports, but excelled as a Boy Scout.  I can still get a little choked up during the scene when he explains that he feels like he had an advantage over the other scouts because, unlike them, he got to choose his parents.

I played men's softball for many years for my parish in an interdenominational church league.  We would have let you use a pinch runner.

As a adult after m first operation I did have a couple of good years and played in the church league, but they eventually made me quit.  I was "too competitive" and the other teams said I always cheated.  

I would coach the team to hit it just over the heads of the infielders but not out to the outfielders.  One bounce always got you a base.   The other team began to "catch on" and the outfielders would start moving up,  Once the bases were loaded, pop one over the heads of everyone.  Doesn't need to clear the fence, just the outfielders.  Then they caught on to bases loaded, they fall back, but you keep dropping short and the runs pile up.  They they try and anticipate.  Start back and run up as the pitch is delivered.  That way the batter needed to see what the infielders did while the pitch is coming in.  Got to be quite funny at times to see the infielders falling back into the outfield and the outfielders running in only to have the batter slug away.   :)  We didn't lose many games.  

Maybe if @@Krampus was on the other team it would have been more difficult.  :)

Edited by Stosh

I played intramural softball and football (flag) for many years during my military career.   Including one last season of football at the age of 49, during my last deployment.   A bit slower than I was at 29, but I could still block, play center, some positions on defense, etc.   It really shocked the younger folks, but once they figured out that I still take a hit as well as receive one, it sure built bonds and dialogue that normally would not have happened otherwise.   Plus, I really enjoyed the competition and camaraderie. 

I agree that sports can be part of a person's lifestyle, well into their senior years.   But I make a distinction between the casual city league and the typical must-win travel team.   In one league, Johnny rides his bike to practice a couple times a week, or mom drops him off, and he's home soon thereafter for a late dinner and homework.

In the standard travel league, the entire family schedule is planned around the team...a huge expense in terms of time, energy, and money.   I'm not sure it's worth the sacrifice for many kids.