Travel Sports Coaches - rant

We lost 3 Webelos II boys because their travel soccer coach told the parents if the boys miss practices because of other activities they don't play on the weekend. If the boys miss a day of games because of a campout they miss the next weekend of games too.

It's a coaching group and they told the kids & parent 'now is the time to get serious if they want to be an elite player, soccer should be the main activity focus'. 2 of those same boys also are not participating in after school band at school because of the new focus.

How are kids supposed to become well rounded individuals when adults are bullying 5th graders into making choices like that. Since the parents pay loads of cash for this opportunity to play with this team they want to be sure their kid isn't benched - I get that, sort of.

Scouts is a bargain! And if you can't make it to a meeting we don't "bench" you from a campout.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to coach select soccer. The fact is most players will play through high school and not even make their college team. Most teams are not even as elite as they think they are. But you see school

Going on a tangent ... but I believe it's related because BSA is wrong to position scouts such that it competes with sports.    BSA needs to market itself in a different way because BSA just can't c

This topic comes up weekly with me--especially in the fall and spring. Sports is the number one priority. For the all of the dedication of time and money, you'd think every kid was a sure thing future

I used to coach select soccer. The fact is most players will play through high school and not even make their college team. Most teams are not even as elite as they think they are. But you see school teams and organizations doing the same thing; demanding attendance. I guess it comes down to the parents. Personally we had our kids pick 3-4 activities that would allow time for each other's things. I guess my kids are boring. They aren't the best at anything they do but they get good grades, volunteer a lot and have learned some great skills through scouts or volunteering.

• Upvote 3

I know on the HS level, sports counted as a PE class, and band was a music class. It affected your grades.

But a club sport?

My oldest had something similar happen.His martial arts class started demanding he compete in compitions, attend workshops, etc. And that was way too much for a 7 year old.

Whatever happened to playing games for fun?

Sure I played on a Little League team, but I spent more hours with my buddies doing sandlot baseball and had more fun.

Soccer?  that was something we only read about in books, and in all sincerity, I believe the popularity of soccer comes from the fact that shoes, socks, shorts and shirt are the only expenses a parent puts up with other than gas to get them to practice.  Gloves, bats, pads, helmets, sticks, skates, all add up to big financial commitments.

And the motivation behind it all?  I didn't sign up for sports because my parents wanted me to, or some coach tried to get me on board, but only because it sounded like fun.  I guess that's changed a bit over the years.

We had one boy into karate.  He made black belt and moved up to the next level and their practice fell on scout night.  The new troop just moved the meeting to a different day.  Out of the two boys still active in the troop at the present time.  He has quit karate and is one of the two remaining.

No offense, Stosh, but soccer for select teams can run $2,000 and up where I live. It is big money. All the sports are now very expensive. Multiple sets of uniforms, gear, bags, jackets, etc. Then there are tournaments, travel, practice fees, etc.

I was just having breakfast with my daughter and this topic came up. She said this whole conversation reminded her of that quote from the Incredibles. I had to hunt to find it. She helped.

Edited by Krampus

Well, I guess I've never really gotten into the loop for such things.  My daughters were on swim team, suit and a towel, and cross country, running shoes and shorts/shirt.  The biggest expense was the traveling to the events.

As a kid I remember forking over big bucks of my own money for a baseball glove only to find it out was the wrong one.  (Had an outfield glove, played first base.)  Had to borrow a glove anyway....  My bat I got for my birthday after the first season.

BUT just remember how expensive those BSA uniform pants are and you will understand why kids aren't in scouting nowadays.  :)

Love the video clip!  It's so true it hurts.

I have no objection to a coach expecting a player to show up for a seasonal sport, which is usually a 12 to 15 week commitment.

Year round sports clubs, like they sometimes have in skating and gymnastics, are a different matter, and a completely different discussion.  

Even in a seasonal sports programs, I have seen coaches unreasonably demand that players attend off-season sports camps.  This too, I feel, is a different discussion.

But for a regular seasonal sport, like little league baseball, YMCA basketball, or middle school football, with a short season and limited time commitment, I see nothing wrong with them expecting the boys to show up.

• Upvote 1

Stosh consider yourself lucky. My daughter is in dance. Between shoes and costumes I am in deep. I could fund your troop for a year on what she costs me.  :blink:

My daughter was in dance for one year.  They had to have a new outfit for every song.  That ain't gonna last long around my pocket book.. :(

Take a look at the costs of equestrian sports and ownership. Astronomical. Mine were on a swim team and I was totally into that. But we also had (for a short time) the martial arts thing and for a while in HS, the band thing. We dumped martial arts and suffered through band. Somehow we managed to fit scouting into the schedule.

On the other hand, I have a friend who coached Elite Soccer and it required total dedication and was really expensive. That team visited Russia, England, Australia and Costa Rica, playing other elite teams in every location. My friend was completely invested in soccer and required the same from team members. Somehow I wonder if they had time for any fun.

This topic comes up weekly with me--especially in the fall and spring. Sports is the number one priority. For the all of the dedication of time and money, you'd think every kid was a sure thing future Olympian or pro.

My son does baseball and CCD, in addition to Scouts. He, of course, is not alone. Around here, sports comes before anything--including school and church. I was pleased to see at least two other kids, along with my son, left today's baseball (8 and 9 year olds) early to make it to CCD. All were dusty, dirty messes, but they made it.

It's the value we put on things and how we rank them as priorities that amazes me. I really have no idea what my son will get out of baseball, but I know for certain Scouts will have a profoundly positive impact on him for life.

• Upvote 2