Thoughts on Hammock Camping

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I should 'fess up here.   I am the moderator who hit the "approve" button for HoboHammock's first post, under the new system that is designed to weed out spammers before their posts are eve

Hmm, is there a rule that if you are in the business of selling hammocks, your business has to have two words in the title and the other one also has to start with an H? I count three in this thread

Interspecies hammock camping:   https://www.facebook.com/TELEGRAPH.CO.UK/videos/vb.143666524748/10153860707449749/?type=2&theater   and she didn't go to REI....

1- Have you tried hammock camping? If you have, did you enjoy it? If you have not, why not? Yes and Yes

2- What brand of hammock do you camp in? Single or Double? Do you think there's a significant difference? Clark (4 season model), Single, The real difference in hammocks for me is less to do with single or double but how it performs in different kinds of weather and the weight.

3- Do you prefer hammock camping or tent camping? Why?

Both have their benefits, if I have a lot of stuff, I prefer tents. (Though I’ve used a tent at summer camp to store stuff and slept in my hammock.) The hammock gives me my best sleep, even in the cold winters of the North East, and is my go to for backpacking

Edited by oldisnewagain1
  • 2 months later...

I always have a hammock in my pack. It is a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater sans net because it ripped. I don't typically sleep much when camping with Cubs so even if we are in a cabin I hang a hammock outside for some restful downtime. Feel free to send me a sample or two for testing. :)

• 1 month later...

Whether it was Black Friday or Cyber Monday I don't recall which one it was but REI had an offer for a complete ENO system for 120$.   That included

Straps

Rain Fly

Hammock

Bug Net

Carry Case

Anyone that has looked into hammocks knows how much ea item is and knows just how much I saved.  I was NOT going to buy such a system until I got it dirt cheap, in this case I WON!

Now before I took the Hammock route I bought a hammock at Wal-Mart that essentially looked just like an Eno (minus all the accessories) just to see if I would enjoy it.  Its an easy system if you are up and down throughout the night like I am using the bathroom ALL THE TIME!!!! as apposed to crawling out of my Alps Mystic 1.5.

Wait and look for the Deals

I saved over 120$