Thoughts on Hammock Camping

I've never tried it, but I have wondered about it since seeing something about Hennessy Hammocks a few years back.  

I have hoped to have an opportunity to try one out, but so far have never found a display in a store or anywhere to try.  They're just too expensive to order just to try.... 

As a side sleeper, i'm not so sure..... but I have talked with several folks that claim to be side sleepers and they love it.  I took a course at our U of Scouting last year on the idea, hoping to get a try.  He was an Eno user, as were some of the students...... but I didn't get to try it.

One point of discussion was using a bipod setup and ground stakes when trees were not available....

I'm a side sleeper in a bed.  No problem in a hammock with back sleeping. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I should 'fess up here.   I am the moderator who hit the "approve" button for HoboHammock's first post, under the new system that is designed to weed out spammers before their posts are eve

Hmm, is there a rule that if you are in the business of selling hammocks, your business has to have two words in the title and the other one also has to start with an H? I count three in this thread

Interspecies hammock camping:   https://www.facebook.com/TELEGRAPH.CO.UK/videos/vb.143666524748/10153860707449749/?type=2&theater   and she didn't go to REI....

Mosquito hammock from REI: $40  (Not online - might be local.)

Hammock tarp - $80

Ropes and biners to hang - straps for tree protection.

Sleep with a CPAP at home.  Don't need it in a hammock.

Needs:

A clever pack cover that keeps your gear dry in a storm but still provides some access when in the hammock.

A free standing system similar to Handy Hammock, but cheaper!

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/  

Weighs 1.5kg. Costs 105 pounds.

(

I think hammock camping is worthy of discussion here and I'm curious what others have to say.

I did a search because I suspected this was a 'timeless' topic and sure enough:

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/14998-jungle-hammock-review-after-a-week-of-use/?hl=hammock

and

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/14651-use-a-pillow-with-a-hammock/?hl=hammock

and

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/14698-evolution-of-the-hammock/?hl=hammock

and

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/25403-tent-vs-hammock/?hl=hammock

You might want to consider restarting some of those old discussions as well.

You might want to consider restarting some of those old discussions as well.

Well, just out of a general sense of orderliness, you might want to consider restarting ONE of those old discussions. :) We don't really need up to five different threads on hammocks going on at the same time.

My explorer scouts love to hammock, mostly. Some have made their own string/rope ones, and those ones always seem to be the ones sleeping on the floor come the morning, I guess the net isn't very even, so while there's no rock lumps, there's dips, hollows, and tight bits all over. This last summer camp we must have had around 15 out of 20 in hammocks. Quite often they double deck them, i.e. two hammocks one about another, then the tarp over the top. I've suggested that in windy and wet conditions this may not be ideal. They know better apparently ;-) They have triple decked them before, and I've had a small hissy fit about what if the top one falls out, as they're about 6/7ft off the ground. Apparently they won't, so that's ok. 

Oh, and I've used them a few times, not brave enough to go the whole hog and use them for a whole weeks camp, but have used them for a variety of weekend camps. I'm a sideways sleeper, and I don't have a problem, I sort of wedge my knees in and it's fine. I did see someone else's set up, and their hammock you got in through a slit underneath, so may be flatter than my one and better for side sleepers. It's weird, it always feels like I don't sleep much, like I went to bed late and you're lying in the hammock wondering exactly when it is you're going to sleep, but I'm always quite refreshed in the morning. I do like the being more in with nature feeling it gives you, you wake up and you're in the trees, it's more open then a tent, obviously.

Probably the best weekend was staying at a friends summer house in Sweden, it was summer, and I would wake about 5am with the bees buzzing across the wild woodland flowers around me, I could reach down and grab a few bilberries to eat off the bushes under the hammock. Happy just lying in the hammock seeing the sun slanting through the trees. The mosquitoes were sods though, so I did have a net for that trip. 

We've bought some from DD hammocks, a UK company, breaking with the H alliteration for hammock company names.  ;)

Ian

I have been camping in a hammock for quite a number of years now. I use it all 4 seasons. The only places where a hammock is not the right tool for me is on river canoe trips where we might be camping on gravel bars. However in these cases, i can just sleep on the ground under the tarp. The tarp is the real shelter, the hammock takes the place of a cot. Oh, my hammocks are made by Claytor, so no double -h alliteration. Most don't, it is funny that the few that do were mentioned all at once.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third, there's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There, that's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.

Homer: Oh, the hammock district!

I have been camping in a hammock for quite a number of years now. I use it all 4 seasons. The only places where a hammock is not the right tool for me is on river canoe trips where we might be camping on gravel bars. However in these cases, i can just sleep on the ground under the tarp. The tarp is the real shelter, the hammock takes the place of a cot. Oh, my hammocks are made by Claytor, so no double -h alliteration. Most don't, it is funny that the few that do were mentioned all at once.

I'd think a hammock would be more comfortable than a gravel bar.  No?

Mosquito hammock from REI: $40  (Not online - might be local.)

Hammock tarp - $80

Ropes and biners to hang - straps for tree protection.

Sleep with a CPAP at home.  Don't need it in a hammock.

Needs:

A clever pack cover that keeps your gear dry in a storm but still provides some access when in the hammock.

A free standing system similar to Handy Hammock, but cheaper!

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/  

Weighs 1.5kg. Costs 105 pounds.

(

That Handyhammock thing looks a whole lot better than the homemade rigs I've seen.

I'd love to try tarp camping, or these open hammocks under a tarp.... but there's just way to many bugs here in FL for my liking, and the thought of waking up cuddling a snake or some other reptile.... no thanks.... so I keep leaning back to full tents.

I think that's' why the hennesy hammocks are more appealing to me.... the integral bug netting.

The problem is that there are no trees on gravel bars. 

Maybe, but I'd think there might be some on the shore and I've seen pictures of some pretty ingenious mounting setups with rocks, oars, could use the canoes, etc.

Of course I say this as far from an expert.  My knowledge is pretty much limited to the Friday afternoon I wasted last week searching the internet on this topic when I first saw the thread.  I definitely want to give this a try.