"The work is done by whoever shows up".

As has been said,  people come and go here, as in all of life.   How in the world did my agency go on serving the citizens after I retired???

I hope BD stayed around long enough to see the Ode to Scouter here on his behalf.

Godspeed,  Basement dweller.....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did my first EBOR as a District Rep for the first time in a long time last night.  I always get more out of them than the Scout does, and this one was no disappointment.  What an amazing young man.  S

I have always learned far more from those I have disagreements with then I ever learned from like minded individuals. It is in the attempt to understand their side of an argument, that I come to bett

Sometimes the chorus grows quieter because some members are driven off by the attack and harsh tone from other members. I very much believe this was cause of loosing some many member in the last coupl

I have always learned far more from those I have disagreements with then I ever learned from like minded individuals.

It is in the attempt to understand their side of an argument, that I come to better understand my own thoughts.  And in the end, sometimes, if there really is a right or wrong answer, and I wasn't the one who was right, I learn to change my position.

Groupthink is a pox on growth.  I would be bored to death in a room of myselves (even if I am an interesting guy :D ).

When we lose a voice, our chorus grows quieter.

In the end, we all share a similar goal of providing the best program we can for the youth under our charge - even if we disagree how that should be done.

Sometimes the chorus grows quieter because some members are driven off by the attack and harsh tone from other members. I very much believe this was cause of loosing some many member in the last couple years. I personally don't believe a member should need thick skin to participate. Many folks here are not only brand new to the forum, they are brand new to scouting. When an inexperienced leader ask for help with a question that sets them up to be attacked, then its gone too far. I have seen that occur a lot on this forum. I get the feeling that the mods are watching that a lot closer and they have my support. I want the new Bear Den leader to feel safe asking ANY question in this forum. 

Barry

• Upvote 2

To channel the ghost of BD: Really???????????????????????? Your giving up???????????

May your avatar rest in peace.

There are some interesting personalities here. A lot of good tempered by some real quirks. I think the quirks come about because what we do, motivating people, is difficult. I remember when I first came to this forum and I just had to ignore a lot of snide comments. I honestly think it's better now. Joebob mentions the good ol' boy attitude that permeates his council and I've seen it before in mine. Maybe being a scouter is like being a soccer fan, you pray for good luck and nine times of ten you're disappointed, but when it works it's bliss. Call it scouter crack. Like the kid last night that told me I helped him figure out how to get a really stubborn scout to pull his weight. The older scout has been difficult for 7 years but he got Eagle and we had some good stories. I just wanted to shout GOOAAAAALLLLLLLL!

Did my first EBOR as a District Rep for the first time in a long time last night.  I always get more out of them than the Scout does, and this one was no disappointment.  What an amazing young man.  Smart, articulate, a lot of horse sense for a young man of 18.  Proud that I had some small part in the program that produces that, but I also realize it takes a village...strong parents, strong teachers, strong peers, and a strong faith.  He's only been a scout for 4 years, never a Cub Scout, but was enticed by a friend to go skiing with the troop and never looked back.  Honor graduate from MY high school, 43 years later.  Now a freshman in college.

THAT's why I keep doing this.  Once in awile I need reassurance that the world will be ok after I'm gone.

• Upvote 3

<<

true, but you'd hope that you'd not be run off from the campfire discussion with other scouters before you end your scouting "career"

>>

Oh,  no one is running me off.  I'm looking for graceful ways to separate myself from activities I've done in the past.  Unfortunately,  the pack doesn't have the depth of leadership needed to replace me,  so more gets dumped on the Cub Master,  who can only do so much.

It's sad to see. 

Basement dweller, I have not posted much on here. I have always gotten sage advise when I have posted.  Thank you for your dedication to your boys and showing them the way of scouting.  My son is almost an Eagle and I am sorry to say, that he has not really been able to experience the scouting experieince I had hoped for him.  As you have stated yourself, there is climate change in the BSA and it is different from even just a few years ago.

Glad that your boys are able to have the journey that you are providing.  Be a peace with what you do.