New member here. Was a scout back a few years but now I'm in an old unit as ASM.

Interesting web site, here. I've been looking around and am amazed at all the different views and ideas.

I enjoy a light breeze, blowing snow, and flowing water, either being carried by it or sitting nearby to just watch. I like good hikes where it's hard enough so the boys aren't yacking the whole time and when we stop they sit quietly to enjoy the rest.

Favorite places: Southern Appalachians, Southern Cascades, Ural Mountains, Yellowstone, a few others here and there.

Don't know what else anyone would like to know.

If anyone has a favorite way to start a fire by friction (and I don't mean flint and steel), I'd be interested in what that favorite method is. But I guess that's something that should go in some other forum.

Wow, I just re-read the wording that describes how new members are 'accepted' and saw this: "This is mandatory for all new members to help us stop spamming and keep the forum clean of dirt!"

....or....'old' members (a.k.a. good ole boys) need not worry.

That is more than just a little insulting to be 'scanned' by someone to find out how close to 'dirt' I am. It's the kind of welcome that smacks of 'sniffing out' undesirables like certain religions or ethnic groups. It's a pretty shabby way to 'welcome' someone. That  bitter taste I have right now wasn't something I expected.

Edited by cyclops

New member here. Was a scout back a few years but now I'm in an old unit as ASM.

Welcome to the forums.

Interesting web site, here. I've been looking around and am amazed at all the different views and ideas.

That we have....

I enjoy a light breeze, blowing snow, and flowing water, either being carried by it or sitting nearby to just watch. I like good hikes where it's hard enough so the boys aren't yacking the whole time and when we stop they sit quietly to enjoy the rest.

Favorite places: Southern Appalachians, Southern Cascades, Ural Mountains, Yellowstone, a few others here and there.

Don't know what else anyone would like to know.

Do you drink coffee?  Can you make campfire egg coffee?

If anyone has a favorite way to start a fire by friction (and I don't mean flint and steel), I'd be interested in what that favorite method is. But I guess that's something that should go in some other forum.

The fastest way I have been able to start a fire by friction is rubbing the Mrs. the wrong way.

Wow, I just re-read the wording that describes how new members are 'accepted' and saw this: "This is mandatory for all new members to help us stop spamming and keep the forum clean of dirt!"

A Scout is Clean.... :)

....or....'old' members (a.k.a. good ole boys) need not worry.

Don't worry about getting in, with some of us, staying in has become an art form.

That is more than just a little insulting to be 'scanned' by someone to find out how close to 'dirt' I am.

If you're worried about a little dirt, how did you make it through Scouting thus far?  I thought dirt was part of the uniform.

It's the kind of welcome that smacks of 'sniffing out' undesirables like certain religions or ethnic groups. It's a pretty shabby way to 'welcome' someone. That  bitter taste I have right now wasn't something I expected.

If you're that sensitive about getting your feelings hurt, I would suggest you stay out of the I & P section, 

P.S.  I like your style, jump right in with the controversial stuff and don't hold anything back!  You're gonna get along great on this forum.

Sorry for sounding prickly. I don't mind dirt, the real stuff. I don't much care for being referred to, or seeing other people referred to as such, it's not 'friendly' at all.

Don't drink coffee. Don't drink alcohol. Consider smores to be an abomination (those individual components should be eaten separately). No drugs (not even for headaches), pain occurs for a reason...it's only pain. No profanity. I don't allow violence in entertainment (which pretty much eliminates video games and television these days). Adverse to loud sounds (the natural state of the planet is near silence). And I'm not a Mormon either...just one of the most boring people you'll ever meet. Married with children (that was a good TV show too). Slightly OCD, slightly control freak, I sometimes retreat in to a Zen state of mind as I observe the boys.

I've made fire using the bow method, and using thumb lines (or whatever they're called) and a hand drill. Haven't gone to the trouble of using the weighted drill yet and merely rubbing a stick back and forth just seems a waste of energy.

Stosh, every day I thank goodness that my wife had a lapse in judgment when we were at the altar, and then obstinately stuck with her bad decision anyway.

Edited by cyclops

YOU DON"T DRINK COFFEE????  I can see right off the bat we're not going to get a long.  :)

WELCOME, and most importantly, RELAX, this forum with all it's warts and scars is still one of the best Roundtables ever.

Cyclops,

Welcome to the forum!

Here in Central Indiana, there is a scouting organization called Firecrafter. It is similiar to the Order of the Arrow.

Part of the requirements for the third camp rank is to make Fire by Friction.

The you tube video shows a member starting a fire in the traditional way that the boys do it around here.

Probably the same way that you have done by the sounds of it.

At a Firecrafter meeting once, a scouter put on a demo of using bamboo. Same concept, but no bow is needed.

We all thought it was cool. I have yet to try it.

Again, welcome to the campfire!

Steve