What if the Boy Scouts didn't go coed?

The mole hill is nothing more than that which determines the models young minds wish to emulate.  Biological and environmental factors all play into the development of young people.  What role model is BOY Scouts of America providing their membership of BOYS?  Since the onset of the feminist movement of the 1960's that role has become more and more obscure for our youth.  Over the years I have seen more and more young boy questioning their roles due to such confusion.

In the Vatican Scouts thread the comment was made that the Catholic program was nothing more than father/son camping, as if that were a bad thing and only BSA has the proper approach with co-ed leadership with gender blending behavior.  I don't know if I had to do it again I would want my son having to deal with those political agendas during his developmental years.  Maybe he and I would just do more camping together.......

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see that coed has nearly as much to do with survival of the BSA as adventure, fun, and the outdoors do. I'm excited about starting a venturing crew not because it has girls in it, but because

IF the BSA went back to an all male organization, there would be a huge hole left.    I can only speak for my Troop as I don't have data on others - the # of positions that females fill on the commi

I don't think scouting went into decline because of coeds.  The BSA began its grim descent when it introduced the Improved Scouting Program in '72, which gutted the traditional approach.   Women and g

Some days they make it so easy ....

...  What role model is BOY Scouts of America providing their membership of BOYS? ....

Well, I suspect there are a few dudes (due to divorce or orientation) out there looking for a good female role model for their boys! ;)
  • 2 weeks later...

If it works fine for just about every other scout organization in the world, including the one founded by Robert Baden Powell himself, and our closest neighbors in Canada, it pretty much makes any arguments that it would not work in the USA kinda silly to me.  

Most of the questions I see people put up have already be answered or figured out by other scout organizations.  BSA could learn from UK Scouts and Canada Scouts, as well as almost all other scout organizations in the worldwide scouting movement how to make coed work.

Edited by dhoover
  • Upvote 1

If it works fine for just about every other scout organization in the world, including the one founded by Robert Baden Powell himself, and our closest neighbors in Canada, it pretty much makes any arguments that it would not work in the USA kinda silly to me. 

I think it's a great idea to go coed. Your reasoning is excellent.

But that wasn't an answer to the OP question.  We have a topic asking what if the BSA went co-ed, but this isn't the one.

There are a ton of organizations out there that are co-ed.  Maybe there should be one that isn't so as to give a choice to our young men.  Otherwise one ends up with Henry Ford's perfectly practical solution to the color of automobiles: the customer can have any color they want as long as it's black.  Our young men can have any male leadership development program they want as long as it's co-ed.

Maybe I'm losing it in my old age, but that really sounds stupid to me even when I say it out loud to myself.