Returning to Scouting

Hello, I'm Steve, from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I've been out of Scouting for 10+ years, but have recently been asked to help form a unit at a local community center.

I'm originally from Otetiana Council, Rochester(Webster), NY, now Seneca Waterways Council.

I was very active in Scouting as a youth and then a young adult leader and camp staffer.  I earned my Arrow of Light, I am an Eagle Scout, and Vigil Honor member of OA. I worked for 10 summers at Massawepie Scout Camps. I attended many regional and national events and trainings, including the 1993 National Jamboree.

We'll be starting a Pack first, but probably within the next year we will be starting a Troop. I have very little experience as a Den Leader, but plenty as an ASM, so I am looking forward to starting a troop. My main interest in coming to the forum is to get as much information and advice as I can for a new Scoutmaster and on starting a Troop from the ground up.

Looking forward to sharing with everyone.

Steve W

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Welcome to the forums. You can learn a lot here. I'm not new to scouting but I haven't posted in the forums until recently. You can get some really good advice here but you need to weigh all of it against your own thoughts. I've benefitted greatly from the forum on Cub Scouting, Advancement, and the top one on general program matters.

But please don't waste your mind or your time on the Issues and Politics forum. It has nothing to offer to you or to scouting.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Welcome to the forum.  Do you drink coffee?  #1 requirement of a good SM.

I enjoy coffee but don't drink it every morning. I'm more than willing to pick up a new habit.

Welcome to the forums Steve!

I went to Masawepie for summer camp (as a Scout) in 1975 with my troop. But if I interpret your post correctly, that was long before you were on staff there. :)

Awesome! I was born in 1975...but I do remember the feeling when I realized my campers were born the same year I started on staff...

But please don't waste your mind or your time on the Issues and Politics forum. It has nothing to offer to you or to scouting.

Too late...I wandered in there against warnings and was surprised by what I saw. Wondered if I was in the right forum. But...it's good to know people's true feelings on certain issues.

Too late...I wandered in there against warnings and was surprised by what I saw. Wondered if I was in the right forum. But...it's good to know people's true feelings on certain issues.

My condolences. The real measure of your character will be never to return to it now that you are aware of the vile effluent that it harbors. I hope you can resist.

• Upvote 1