Alternative to Fundraising.

To me fundraising falls into two categories: for the unit and the boys in the unit, and then there is fundraising for the council (perhaps with a percentage for the unit). Both categories consume time that could be devoted to, you know, like, scouting. But at least the first category entirely benefits the unit.

Anyway, trying to stick with the title of this topic, the alternative to fundraising, to me, is to pay the full cost of whatever activity we do; outings, high adventure, awards, camporees, summer camp...it doesn't matter...and if we can't afford it, we don't do it. It's that simple.

This approach has some risks. For one, a family might not be able to afford an activity...and because of that I'm somewhat sympathetic to unit fundraising. Not enthusiastic, just somewhat sympathetic.

As for things beyond the unit, after what I observed in that list of salaries that someone posted a while back, I am probably never going to be enthused about fundraising at that level. I wouldn't attempt to stop some person with more money than sense from donating to the national organization but I would probably discourage engaging the boys in the unit to waste time for that level of fundraising...as opposed to going on another outing of some kind.

As for summer camp, etc., I am always in favor of setting the fees for those things in a way that reflects the actual costs of providing them. No supplements, no subsidies, no 'welfare'. I suspect that when families begin to pay the real cost of camp, that is when they will demand excellence from 'camp' or else the unit might find that excellence in 'camping' on their own, which to me is an excellent and usually superior option.

I guess that's most of what I think about an alternative to fundraising.

I knew a Troop that set up shop in a shopping mall and sold "Flag Folding" . For a price, they would fold "your" American flag. (and then, behind a screen, unfold it). They said they made some money at it...

But I have to say, my favorite fund raiser was my own Troop of my yoooth: On a given Saturday morning, we would gather at the

church parking lot about 6am. Soon, one of the Troop dads would arrive in his station wagon FULL of freshly minted Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, maybe 300 dozen. We would divvy them up, Scouts and moms and dads, and go out to knock on neighborhood doors and

sell'em . People started to expect this ("where were you last month?"). We'd sell three, four dozen to some folks, they said they wrapped them in plastic and froze them. My dad and I and my buddy Paul would easily sell 30 dozen by 11am. We had regular routes.

Ah, those were the daze...

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Fundraising frequently involves parents -- if only to drive Junior to the gathering.  Nowadays both parents may work; it's easier to just write a check methinks

And that myopic view of the world does nothing to help get their buddies to the event who have parents that both work and still can't afford it.  Scouting is NOT an individual activity, it involves working with and leading other people.  Scouts that are in the program only for themselves end up Paper Eagles.

Yet, if we go to the other extreme, we have helicopter parenting.  Should it be a rule of Scouting that either events are closer to home or that the troop provides the transportation?.

As I think back to learning the various ranks -- many times we were taught the basics in a group, but learning and getting signed off were individual activities.  No-one else could learn it for you, pass it for you, or do it for you in a camporee competition. 

There are other fund-raising activities besides selling stuff

Yet, if we go to the other extreme, we have helicopter parenting.  Should it be a rule of Scouting that either events are closer to home or that the troop provides the transportation?.

As I think back to learning the various ranks -- many times we were taught the basics in a group, but learning and getting signed off were individual activities.  No-one else could learn it for you, pass it for you, or do it for you in a camporee competition. 

There are other fund-raising activities besides selling stuff

Yep, I paid for my uniform, my equipment, my activities by shoveling walks, mowing lawns, raking leaves, etc.  My parents only paid for my registration fee and Boys Life.  If the troop was selling stuff I still went door-to-door when I didn't need funds because the money I was raising doing that went all to the troop and my buddies and I benefited by supporting the program as a whole.  We didn't have individual accounts back then.

• 10 months later...

Our pack is very fortunate that we get to sell drinks at the county fair.  It is incredibly easy since it is very hot and the customers flock to you.  So basically, we are asking each family to have someone spend 4 hours there to sell the drinks.  It costs them nothing but a little time, and it is like pulling teeth to get people to volunteer.   Yes, it's sweaty and loud, but easy and actually fun.  I would be the happiest cub scout leader if everyone would volunteer (the committee and den leaders volunteer, but it is super hard to get others to volunteer......but we are working on it!)