Eagle Project Beneficiaries - Backing Out

Curious as to whether anyone may have had any experiences with an Eagle Project beneficiary backing out of supporting a project, after signing the proposal agreement. If so, how was the situation handled.

Yes.  The local YMCA agreed to have a Scout build a bus shelter for the Y's activities bus.  In order to pull a building permit for the shelter, the Y had to provide proof of insurance.  They knew that going in.  But between they agree to the project and when it began, some new administrator type came in and decided they didn't want to risk their premiums increasing.  Right.  A major, metropolitan YMCA group with tens of millions of dollars in assets is going to have their insurance increased or dropped over a 8x8 shelter.   Bottom line:  they didn't keep their commitment.

Unfortunately, and despite a lot of effort to help the Scout out and redirect the project, he never made Eagle.

Heard about 2 cases.

In one case the benefiting agency changed their mind after signing, but before any fundraising and work was done. Agency changed their mind due to liability issues. Scout was delayed about a month and able to get Eagle.

2nd case was more problematic. I do not know all of the details except the Scout screwed up so badly that the agency stopped him on day one of the 2 day project, and had to hire a contractor to fix the problem he made, as well as do his project. Agency now no longer allows ANY Eagle projects to be done for them any more, and they were the beneficiary of about 5 or 6 over the past 7-10 years prior to this.

Project was supposed to be finished days before turning 18. Appeal for an extension went to council, and possibly national, because once momma mentioned lawyers and a lawsuit, district committee no longer wanted to handle the situation ( not that they could do anything about it).

He got an extension, made a flagpole instead of the original project at a local school or park, and got his Eagle. Entire situation irked a lot of folks in and out of Scouting. Outside of Scouting we lost a community partner we were helping. Also they had enough of the Scout, accepted his unused supplies, and paid the unbudgeted expenses themselves which delayed other projects they were doing. My understanding was that it was a major fiasco and caused hardship for the agency.  Inside of Scouting, it ticked off leaders who were also on the board of the agency, ticked of some Scouts and leaders in other units who were planning on doing projects for the agency, and ticked off the advancement committee when momma threatened a lawsuit, despite their attempts to explain that they could not grant the extension and explain the process to getting one.

I admit I too was irked because the Scout didn't want to accept responsibility for his mistake, instead trying to make it seem as if he was the victim in all this.

Edited by Eagle94-A1

Yes.  Multiple times.  It happens.  But, I've never seen the beneficiary hire a contractor to fix the damage.

The last I saw was when the beneficiary signed-off on a project.  Then changed attitude and wanted it done with different materials that the scout was not comfortable using.  I could not blame him.  

To remedy the situation, local adult leaders came up with a list of other projects that could be done.  The scout contacted one of the beneficiaries and worked the project.  The only reason the adult leaders made suggestions was because the scout was within two months of turning 18.  

I've never seen a beneficiary back out after signing the candidate's workbook. We have had a couple where things were moving along toward completion of the proposal, including discussions with the beneficiary, and the contact for the beneficiary suddenly stopped returning returning the Scout's calls and emails, and other efforts at contact were unsuccessful. In each case the Scout was starting to run out of time and had to select another project.

We had one Scout meet with an individual within the beneficiary.  They had come to an agreement as to what needed to be done.  Scout goes off, gets the plan approved by district and starts along the plan. 

2 months later he's trying to get in touch with aforementioned individual to schedule the when.  Finds out the person is no longer working for the beneficiary and the beneficiary had no idea about the project.

It worked out okay as the head of the beneficiary allowed the Scout to continue with the project.  Time was lost but nothing else.

Yes, we had a scout have everything ready to go to build a bouldering wall at a school, everything signed off and ready, including their lawyer and insurance guys, dates set, hadn't actually purchased any supplies.  Someone at the school in charge of facilities either hadn't been consulted or had second thoughts -- we could never really get a straight story --- and convinced everyone to deep six the project.  Made for a scramble, but he identified another project and ended up working up until a few days before 18 to get it done.

It's their property and there's nothing really binding about the agreements they enter into.  It would be good grounds for getting an extension but it's pretty deflating.

Thanks all. This is good information. 

The beneficiary agency who initially agreed to support the project, and was open to it, is now reluctant. They've cited timing issues, which I can understand, but they also now seem to not want to be bothered.

Scout is a few months shy of 17. He's looking at other project ideas and beneficiaries.

The experience of the scout who worked to build the bus shelter and who did not make Eagle is especially disheartening.

Seems like another good reason not to wait until the final months at age 17.

Why I recommend that as soon as they become Life, they start working on a project,  One of the first things I completed as a 13 year old Life Scout was plan my project. Completed it at 14, and had time to have a bunch of fun without worries until 18.

• Upvote 1

Why I recommend that as soon as they become Life, they start working on a project,  One of the first things I completed as a 13 year old Life Scout was plan my project. Completed it at 14, and had time to have a bunch of fun without worries until 18.

I think our troop has eagle advisors that work with boys 16 and above to help them along the way to eagle. The boys are counselled on managing their time to the next rank and when to begin projects. We still have a few boys not make it but it is usually because they did not put in the time or show interest. Maybe that will work for other troops?

I always have fall back projects that don't involve fundraising, materials or a lot of hassle, just a sufficient amount of organizational work to pull off and if the boy is in full panic mode, could pull one of these ideas together and finish in <2 months.  Be Prepared.  :)