Free Give-aways and Fundraisers

I have read some councils are now giving away free rocket kits if one joins scouting. Some units give a free handbook and/or neckerchief and/or Boys' Life for joining and have done so for years. More and more freebies. Maybe a free subscription to X-box Live is next.

Funny how on the opposite side, scouts and their families are balking at any fundraisers. Our PLC told recently told a shocked Troop Committee to forget about popcorn and any "purchased" food, etc for COH. We will see how far that goes. Parents have been pushing for a stated yearly. all inclusive "troop membership fee" with weekly and monthly payment options.

I don't see a problem with promotional giveaways like a rocket or something similar when you register.  These types of promotions are tried and true marketing devices, any particular one may or may not be effective, but there's good research behind their efficacy as a marketing tool.  The real sales pitch is what happens after the scout registers, if the program is good and the kid is interested they'll stick around.  Frankly, if something can help get them through the door I have confidence I can take it from there.

As to the "free" neckers etc.  We provide a troop necker, epaulets, and handbook to our crossovers, but it's not really free, the dues you pay for the first six months pretty much cover the cost. 

Our troop also provides free necker, handbook, epaulets, patches, slide and Class B shirt.  Our Class B shirts are in dri-fit and have been really popular with the Scouts!

In terms of other give-aways, our troop does a rocket launch in the early Spring and all rockets and materials (not kits, the real things, incl. motors!) are free to any Webelos who attend.  It's always a blast (haha!) and a good recruiting event without every being stated as such.

Free?

There is no such thing.

We looked into a lunch box as a promotion tool for School Sign up Night.

The idea being that we could fill the box with information and useful stuff.

The cost was something close to about five bucks a kit.

The hope was that a local philanthropist would pick up the tab.

Sadly the old chap passed on before he could give his OK. - So it didn't happen.

When I was Cubmaster we worked out what the cost per Scout would be and the parents were informed.

They could participate in Fund raising events or write a check or mix it up.

We didn't care how the cost was met. The main thing was having the funding so that the Scouts got a first class program.

Eamonn. 

At crossover we give new scouts a handbook, necker and slide, and epilauts.  Class B shirts and caps are required but must be purchased after crossover.  Our dues are high (according to some) but include patches, all camping and most food fees ($5 per scout for food on campouts, troop supliments up to an additional $8 per scout).  For Eagles we provide the kit, necker and slide or bolo and a cake.  We have had parents say they would rather pay higher dues and have no fundraising.  We do popcorn but honestly not many boys participate.  We need to supliment the dues this year with a fudraiser, a bottle drive aparently, but no one has stepped up to run it, so we will see how that goes.  I pushed for a fundraiser to help directly offset dues but the committee wasn't interested.

We give new scouts their loops, troop numbers and a neckerchief and slide. Had hats too. Total cost to the unit is around $22 which is funded through fund raising each year. We budget for around 10-15 new scouts. Each scout is asked to sell a target amount to cover the total budget, new scout gear included.