I heard you want to start a venture crew

That was an amazing discussion with four girls. I don't know how I can possibly say no. At one point I asked them what kind of events they want to do. They looked at each other and one of them finally blurted out "klondike, I want to go to klondike." They had been told by the old crew advisers they couldn't go. A little more discussion and I asked whether the adults thought all girls couldn't handle it or just some of the girls. Pause. "Probably some of both." They're hungry to do scouting in the outdoors. They are sick of photography month and living history month. One girl said "I just want to do the work for a merit badge and then get the badge and I can't get the badge because I'm a girl." She taught the MB at summer camp. I told her I'd buy her the patch if she did the work. They said they'd like to go camping every month. They haven't been on a campout in a year because the adults won't let them. The adults keep changing the girls' plans. Their current crew is so adult led it's truly sad. And it's mostly the moms that are the problem. These girls are ready to quit scouts so I said I'd help them.

I gave them some goals. First, get all of the needed adults in place by Halloween and have a calendar of events. Once they have that then they can push the button, do the paperwork, and get it started. After that the focus is equally on training for cold weather camping (klondike is the goal) and recruitment. One girl asked if they could have a Halloween party with candy for recruitment to celebrate starting and I said "why not? it's your crew." Big smile.

I have the scouts looking for adults, and in particular women that like the outdoors, but does anyone have ideas of where to find more? Word of mouth? Camping club at the local university? REI?

Edited by MattR
  • Upvote 1

@@MattR, that's the problem with real scouters. You all are such suckers for motivated youth. ;)

Yeah, I've been through going around asking for "women with strong backs." Your best recruiters will be those four young ladies. But you do want to give them solid leads if you can. Start with troop moms or older sisters. (I was recruited by a troop mom.) these are people who've probably seen how you operate and trust you. Also, if they need equipment, your ASMs will most gladly loan it. Contact your institutional head and charter organization representative, they might have someone who will fit the bill. Contact your council venturing committee. They might be able to recommend a a former venturer who moved into the area. Also, they might offer the resources you need to fast-track paperwork.

Which area are you in by the way? How far would you be willing to travel for training?

• Upvote 1

The new administration at the troop I served is currently looking at restarting a  Venturing crew, too.  They're in an odd place in that over the next couple years they will have 5-6 scouts turning 18 prior to their senior year in high school.  In this situation, Venturing isn't a reaction to a failed older scout program, but to a very successful one.  We've got a bunch of 18y.o.s who want to stick with the program.

Problem is, there is NO enthusiasm for a real crew, meaning girls, separate meetings, separate leaders and a committee.  Everyone -- Scouts and adults -- would be perfectly happy running a venture patrol, letting the 18y.o.s tag participate as they like and calling it good.  I've suggested registering the 18y.o.s as college reserves and moving on. 

@@MattR, that's the problem with real scouters. You all are such suckers for motivated youth. ;)

Which area are you in by the way? How far would you be willing to travel for training?

Ah, yep. I'm the one with the big S stamped into his forehead.

I'm in Colorado. I have to do the basic training just to figure out the program. I saw a Kodiak Training thing and I think these kids would be all over that. I sent out a couple of feelers for women with strong backs. That's the crux of this climb. Once that's in place we'll start talking training. My intent is we learn this together.

We've got a bunch of 18y.o.s who want to stick with the program.

Problem is, there is NO enthusiasm for a real crew, meaning girls, separate meetings, separate leaders and a committee. 

You're in a much different place than me. This has nothing to do with the boy scouts. If they're interested that's fine, but the same rules will apply. They need to help out, participate, and plan on adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The crew adviser and one of the girls had a meeting, that was prompted by the girl saying she was not going to recharter. The girl said only the one adviser was allowed to be there. She talked about how too many parents are sticking their noses where they don't belong. The adviser was shook up about this. He didn't deny it, but honestly felt bad about it and would like to make it right. The girl, and all her friends, asked me to come to another meeting and they asked for my help in fixing this mess. So they don't want to start a new crew, and this is a relief to me. Now comes the delicate part where I need to talk to the adviser and tell them what I told the scouts. All I did with the scouts was explain to them how scout led is supposed to work and we went through examples. We talked about growth, problem solving, reviewing how things went, developing leaders and helping people out, adult/scout boundaries, and how to come up with a calendar. They ate it up. The first week in November they're having a planning campout and October is to get ready for it. Other than training the scouts and adults how it's supposed to work my other job will be hit man for adults that don't get it.

So far it's fun.

• Upvote 3