President Obama Running Wild with Bear Grylls in Alaska

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not exactly a denier, but I am skeptical about it. There is no question that climate change is happening and has happened thoughout earth's history and there is no question that human activity has con

How challenging can it be with 30 secret service agents within arm's length?  This is nothing more than another narcissistic publicity stunt.

Remember the local uproar in Florida when Cape Canaveral was renamed Cape Kennedy in 1963?   In NH, the state legislature attempted to rename Mt. Clay which is in the Presidential range of the White

• 3 months later...

I thought it was an entertaining interview. Disappointed that there was no mention of scouting. Smores was a nice touch. I was surprised that the Secret Service allowed Bear to have that knife. Does the President carry anything - no smartphone, no canteen, no matches, ...wallet?

• Upvote 1

I watched about 30 minutes of it. I thought it was interesting. The president came across as pretty much a regular guy, or at least as regular as its possible to be when there is obviously a large group of assistants and Secret Service agents just out of camera range. (The president gave it away a couple of times, like when he asked someone for the password to use the camera on their phone, which he was borrowing. And I found this article in which Grylls mentions the snipers you didn't see and the helicopters you didn't hear: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/us/politics/president-obama-joining-bear-grylls-tests-survival-skills-in-alaska.html?_r=0)

As for what the president carries around with him, he said that he is not permitted to have a smartphone for "security reasons." I found something on the Internet that said the White House does not consider the phones to be secure enough for the president to use. (In other words, someone with the right technology could listen to what he is saying.) I also found an article saying that some presidents have carried cash, some haven't - it's a matter of personal choice since they always have someone with them who can provide what they need.

Back to the show, I thought Bear Grylls seemed a little starstruck, but that's ok. I was kind of surprised by the part about the fish, but I guess when you have no fishing equipment and you're on a tight production schedule, a fish that's already been half-eaten by a bear is the best you can do. (I guess I should also mention that I have never seen Grylls' show before, so maybe this happens all the time.)

shoot, I don't think my Tivo recorded it.  I didn't see this thread bump until just now....

not that I really want to see this president, but I do enjoy the show.  Ah whatever, I'm glad I missed it.  Probably would have just gotten my irish up....

shoot, I don't think my Tivo recorded it.  I didn't see this thread bump until just now....

not that I really want to see this president, but I do enjoy the show.  Ah whatever, I'm glad I missed it.  Probably would have just gotten my irish up....

Can watch here

http://www.nbc.com/running-wild-with-bear-grylls/episodes

Available until Jan 12