Online Training

Hi, I'm new to the Scouter forum and a new Cubmaster.  I was just reading the Sept/Oct issue of Scouting magazine and there's a great article titled "School of Scouting."  The problem is, when I log in to my.scouting.org none of the training for the new program that is detailed in this article is in there.  It's all the old stuff and still instructs leaders to teach "the Law of the Pack" and other stuff from the old program.

Anyone have any idea when this training will be updated?  I thought it was supposed to be out in June.  I'm trying to decide what to tell the new den leaders as to what training they should take.

In my humble opinion, this online training will be just as timely and up-to-date as what you probably would get from a face-to-face experience. Just take it and check it off on the list. If you really want to learn how to do things, talk to the people who are doing them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@@CactusKen

The magazine is a great resource for new volunteers and new families. Online training is a great first step to delivering a good program. Suggest all of your leaders start with online training. If they have time to do in person that's great too. If not online will get them going in the right directions!

Best of luck and thanks for volunteering!

• Upvote 1

I'm curious, has anyone been able to complete the Scouting Ideals course?  I've tried going through it five times, and it always tells me that I haven't completed it, although I have.  It seems like the last slide doesn't register as complete even though there is nothing left to see/do.

Also, I've noticed that with the modules currently, there, you can't complete any of the tracks (Den Leader, Cubmaster, Committee Member).  However, there is a lot of good information there, and even though I'm a Roundtable Commissioner and I've been to a ton of training and completed Position Specific under the old program, I was still able to learn one or two things I hadn't heard before.  I like how the various courses count toward multiple tracks, so once you've done one, you are already partly trained in the others.  It should be easy for a Den Leader to move to Committee or Cubmaster with only a few additional courses.