@ is correct - I live in a suburb of Dallas.

A lot of groups here use FB for advertising/marketing.  I've set one up now for the Troop. 

The biggest challenge I foresee is keeping the families from trying to use it for personal communications.  Example:  Mom1 posting "can someone pickup Johnny?"

I think I've made it plain to the parents/Troop that it's for spreading the word about our Troop not internal communications.  We shall see.

And we're using a Facebook Page.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smoke signals?

Here is the BSA social media guidelines, http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Marketing/Resources/SocialMedia.aspx   That being said, my district has both a page and group.  The page is for pushing a

Start feeling sorry then.   We've had many folks moving to our area find us on FB as well as our website. We pick up about 5 scouts a year that way. With local Cubs, their parents check in on our FB

Our unit has both.  the facebook account is basically for advertising upcoming events.  The website has details for activities and resources for people like camping lists, maps and such.

I'm also our district communications chair and we have both as well.  I figure anyway we can get info out to people the best.  The current generation wants to be notified via instagram or phone texts.  We haven't figured out how to do that yet.

The current generation wants to be notified via instagram or phone texts.  We haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Try "Remind". It is a free service. Our PLC came up with the idea and the adults picked up on it. They use it in schools when teachers wants to send out reminders, etc. Try it. It works well.

Interesting comparison between this thread and the one about 'how we failed'. Here we're talking about communications and praising FB, etc. Yet the skills we try to focus on in the program are the equivalent of semaphore or Morse Code.

So to satisfy the question of the other thread, perhaps we should try to imagine what goes through the mind of a boy who is waving a flag while his phone ringtone is telling him to check the next tweet. And then we wonder why scouting's niche is getting smaller and smaller.

Interesting comparison between this thread and the one about 'how we failed'. Here we're talking about communications and praising FB, etc. Yet the skills we try to focus on in the program are the equivalent of semaphore or Morse Code.

So to satisfy the question of the other thread, perhaps we should try to imagine what goes through the mind of a boy who is waving a flag while his phone ringtone is telling him to check the next tweet. And then we wonder why scouting's niche is getting smaller and smaller.

Two totally different topics. You can maintain the quality, direction and tradition of a program while introducing new tools with which to manage the program.

You think this discussion popped up in the 50s or 60s on how to use the phone? A chainsaw? Dehydrated meals? Other technological innovations?

Apples and oranges.

Let's see, I'm going to need some rope to make this tripod lashing, like a lot of it. And I guess I'll have to figure out how big it needs to be, whatever. How do I start this again? Something called a clove hitch, or whatever....might as well get started...wait, there's an app for this I think,,,just need to find it....

But first let me take a selfie!

Let's see, I'm going to need some rope to make this tripod lashing, like a lot of it. And I guess I'll have to figure out how big it needs to be, whatever. How do I start this again? Something called a clove hitch, or whatever....might as well get started...wait, there's an app for this I think,,,just need to find it....

But first let me take a selfie!

Yeah, that cleared up your point.  :rolleyes:

The use of new communication tools (phone, two-way radios, email, instant messaging, text messaging) has nothing to do with the traditional delivery of the scout outdoor program. The adaptation of these tools does not mean that the people delivering scouting in the traditional manner are Luddites for not embracing changes to the program itself. They are two totally different concepts.

Edited by Bad Wolf

The use of new communication tools (phone, two-way radios, email, instant messaging, text messaging) has nothing to do with the traditional delivery of the scout outdoor program. The adaptation of these tools does not mean that the people delivering scouting in the traditional manner are Luddites for not embracing changes to the program itself. They are two totally different concepts.

Yeah, that cleared up your point.  :rolleyes:

So riddle me this.... why is bugling, which no one really knows what it's supposed to do is still a POR?   :)

Somewhere, even in that alternate universe you're evidently in, a bugler is actually doing what he's supposed to do in his POR. Why not? He's sounding the start of the day, sounding the changes of actions, and then sounding the end of the day. He's the foundation for making sure everyone is coordinated in time. His POR is really important.

Edited by ya lazima vumbi

@ya lazima vumbi sorry you missed a pretty clear argument. Don't know how to make it any clearer for you. Communication methods and changes in the scouting program are not the same thing.

• 9 months later...

Are there any new thoughts/ideas about using Facebook Group as a Troop communication protocol?  Our Troop has a group, and its currently used for four purposes:  reminders about upcoming events, gathering/confirming sign-ups for events/campouts, shared photos from troop events/campouts, and the random posting of useful-to-useless scouting/camping related articles.

There is a debate over how its used (it is a closed group).  Some people want to limit membership to current parents only because of the event/camping sign-ups.  Others want to keep it more open, so grandma/other family can see the shared camp pictures.  Youth with Facebook accounts are currently allowed, and there is a question about if that should be permitted.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Are there any new thoughts/ideas about using Facebook Group as a Troop communication protocol?  Our Troop has a group, and its currently used for four purposes:  reminders about upcoming events, gathering/confirming sign-ups for events/campouts, shared photos from troop events/campouts, and the random posting of useful-to-useless scouting/camping related articles.

There is a debate over how its used (it is a closed group).  Some people want to limit membership to current parents only because of the event/camping sign-ups.  Others want to keep it more open, so grandma/other family can see the shared camp pictures.  Youth with Facebook accounts are currently allowed, and there is a question about if that should be permitted.

Thoughts?

Same here, are curious what the policy is on a group that mixes adults and youth. Our group is closed.

Same here, are curious what the policy is on a group that mixes adults and youth. Our group is closed.

Make sure your parents sign the "talent release" portion of the A/B/C Health Form, and don't ever use the boys' last names.  Other than that, there's no issue.

"Luddite" here that has been into computers since I started with Fortran programming, punch cards and chain printers back in the '60's..... I for one would NOT use social media for communication.  If one wishes to communicate to scouts and parents use a website and the WebMaster and SM are the only ones that can change it.  Put a link on it for email communication back from the parents/scouts and you're covered.    Make sure the email link is not anyone's personal email, but a generic account that WebMaster and SM can monitor.  WebMaster is responsible for communication with the scouts, SM is responsible for communication with adults.

It covers the bases, ain't purdy, but it gets the job done and is such that the worse thing that could happen is the generic email account will fill with "stuff".  One can set up the email account to accept only emails from registered scouts and parents and all the "stuff" goes away.