Official announcement regarding LDS boy scouting

Throughout most of the history of BSA, there were state laws against same-sex relations.  It wasn't just against BSA policy, it was against the law.

Perhaps it is no coincidence that the BSA bans were initiated soon after the courts started striking down those state laws.  Perhaps BSA had not previously felt there was a need to formalize a ban since it was already against the law.

Which occurred after the APA removed homosexuality from the DSM in the mid 70s.
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard that LDS is sticking with BSA because they got an official exemption from having to do popcorn sales and FOS promotions.   Just kidding....

Oh please. The members of this forum often trade in information they see and hear, and what Stosh and I have posted is no different. My LDS contact (the guy who hosts our district and is fairly high u

<< Speaking for myself, I don't care if they go or stay as it does not affect my unit. But part of me would like to see them stand their ground and show BSA they made a very bad decision. There

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/faculty_sites/rainbow/html/facts_molestation.html

My main point is that the recent changes in the BSA were driven from within.  The BSA has resisted any outside pressure now for over a generation.  I don't believe the majority of councils ever wanted an exclusive membership.

As we have seen, what the councils want is not what the membership wants.

Councils in my experience pretty much echo the opinions of the community around them..  There major push is for donations and membership.. If they have problems with either due to a policy, they will side with  a policy change, if they have support of the community due to a policy they will support the policy.. Wishy Washy... yes.. But it is what it is..

Councils in my experience pretty much echo the opinions of the community around them.. 

Total opposite experience. They are run by paid staff who do what they think those who they report to want. The ones I have interacted with see us (volunteers/members) as the sheep they lead.

• Upvote 2

I did not say they paid attention to volunteers of BSA.. I said they paid attention to the public opinion in their area.. Who will donate? (or not and why), Who will start a new charter (or not and why), Who has boys of age to recruit.. (If not interested, why)..   If they are getting enough then the "No's" don't figure as much, if  they are not the "No's" become reason to want change..  Here in the East, the "No's" defiantly helped convince councils it was time to get behind and back change..