So what are your prospects for recruiting more boys?

Is there a nearby Cub Pack you can cultivate and perhaps get crossovers?

Are your two boys willing to find and invite boys they know to come to a quality Boy Scout activity?

Will near by schools co-operate by letting you visit the school and invite boys to an activity?

Are there other adults that can help you with the program and activities?

Nine years ago I began an effort to rescue a Cub Pack that was down to a single boy.  That has led to a quality program for boys,  but I haven't really found enough effective adult leaders so that the program can carry on without me.

And unfortunately,  after devising reasonably effective methods for recruiting new Cub Scouts,  those methods failed me this past spring.  We need to be effective with Fall recruiting or have a huge hole in the program.

Yes, you can FIGHT!  Unfortunately,  you may have to fight forever.

Fighting is more worthwhile if it leads to a stable unit and effective leadership that can carry on with Fighting for everything,  all the time.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like your scout just wanted a break from responsibility. You have never agreed when I’ve said this before Stosh, but the nature of boys before puberty is to hang in groups and play games. Lea

I would suggest not starting a new unit then.  One doesn't get the choice on having the numbers for a while.  There's a lot to be said about coasting along on other people's program building and build

Are you having fun?

Well, we have twice as many boys as we did two years ago, so overall we're doing great!  :)  

We also have tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, troop flag, and have had 2 summer camps in, and a ton of other activities for the boys.   We just need to work on adopting a fight attitude among the boys so that they don't bail before they get a chance to get a win in.

It's a bit like the Stock Market and we're in it for the long haul.

We did procure a Cub pack for our CO.  :)  So now we have an in-house feeder pack and will be able to work directly with the Cubs and their program to develop a seamless transition into the troop.  We haven't worked out the details as yet, but we will both be meeting at the CO on the same night.  

As an adult in the program, I'm really excited about the potential of what we have here.  

<<

We did procure a Cub pack for our CO.   :)  So now we have an in-house feeder pack and will be able to work directly with the Cubs and their program to develop a seamless transition into the troop.  We haven't worked out the details as yet, but we will both be meeting at the CO on the same night.  

As an adult in the program, I'm really excited about the potential of what we have here.  >>

Sounds like you have the resources that make a FIGHT worthwhile.  Look for ways to help your Cub Pack be successful.

Good luck!

Edited by SeattlePioneer

I was in a dysfunctional pack when my son was a tiger.  I at first though it was lack of support form the parents.  I was complaining and thinking of leaving the pack.  I started to watch the leader training and a few videos and then read the scout oath and cam to the conclusion that I should try to help instead of just complaining I want a good program for my son so I stepped up became a den leader and had a great time. I started to work with the CC and tried to make thing better giving her tips on how to do stuff started planning stuff and the CC would just move right alone and do what she wanted to do. The CC would also pick and choose what rules she waned to follow she never submitted the Assistant Cub Master for the background check because he had a domestic violence  charge on his record.  Now three years latter I see his picture on the local police most wanted he is wanted for 4 counts of sexual assault against a minor.   I quickly realized were the problem was and the only way to fix it was to get her out of that position since her husband was the cub master and they both were members of the chartered organization.  there was nothing I could do I was new to scouting and had no clue what do. I left the pack for one down the street and have been having fun ever since.  

Basically for me if I do not like something that is going on I try to help and fix it (fight). If I find out I am not able to fix it I leave (flight)

I was in a dysfunctional pack when my son was a tiger.  I at first though it was lack of support form the parents.  I was complaining and thinking of leaving the pack.  I started to watch the leader training and a few videos and then read the scout oath and cam to the conclusion that I should try to help instead of just complaining I want a good program for my son so I stepped up became a den leader and had a great time. I started to work with the CC and tried to make thing better giving her tips on how to do stuff started planning stuff and the CC would just move right alone and do what she wanted to do. The CC would also pick and choose what rules she waned to follow she never submitted the Assistant Cub Master for the background check because he had a domestic violence  charge on his record.  Now three years latter I see his picture on the local police most wanted he is wanted for 4 counts of sexual assault against a minor.   I quickly realized were the problem was and the only way to fix it was to get her out of that position since her husband was the cub master and they both were members of the chartered organization.  there was nothing I could do I was new to scouting and had no clue what do. I left the pack for one down the street and have been having fun ever since.  

Basically for me if I do not like something that is going on I try to help and fix it (fight). If I find out I am not able to fix it I leave (flight)

Hopefully you reported the problem to the CO, no?

Hopefully you reported the problem to the CO, no?

I went to district the pack is failing very low numbers and I think the CO really does not care.  I did report the AS not having a background check and being wanted for a sex offence to our district executive and he has had enough and basically told us we could start recruiting out of there school so I am just waiting to see what happens

I went to district the pack is failing very low numbers and I think the CO really does not care.  I did report the AS not having a background check and being wanted for a sex offence to our district executive and he has had enough and basically told us we could start recruiting out of there school so I am just waiting to see what happens

Good. I hope the district/council does something. That's not a situation they can let go.