when I went to cub collage they told me that YPT needed to be done annually also but DE told me no !! they were saying that because if your YPT expires around recharter depending on when they get to your paper work it could be kicked back.  As for yearly being a burden on leadership man it is and video and little test you can take it in your underwear if you want.  I have always wanted BSA to allow the pack to hold YPT classes were you showed the video gave the test and mailed in information back to BSA that way you just knocked everybody out at once and did not have to chase people down. Just have it during a leadership meeting every year and be done with it !

In my District/Council we are able to do it this way

Edited by Daped01
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think all leaders should take the face to face version of YPT in their first year of scouting (not just the video followed by questions, but an actual class taught by an instructor).  I look back at

I recently heard that the council in my area has voted to require ANNUAL youth protection training,  rather than taking the training every other year.     Anyone else aware of this as yet another c

Yes, I think it's required there for any council camp over 72 hours. Not sure if it's state wide or just the Dallas area (cousin lives there).     If the unit has a good training coordinator they

yep, the unit key three can enter the date training was completed for everyone except themselves

So I assume you would get another one of the key 3 to enter you.

No proof required.  Scouts Honor.

I think all leaders should take the face to face version of YPT in their first year of scouting (not just the video followed by questions, but an actual class taught by an instructor).  I look back at it, and the war stories I heard were much more effective than the fairly mild web version of the course.

I have never heard of a fully instructor-delivered YPT course. In my experience it was always the video introduced by a facilitator who then stopped the video for discussion at the prescribed times, handed out the handouts, and then took questions and led the discussion at the end. That's what I refer to as "live" training. I took the facilitator training about 15 years ago and facilitated the live training about 20 times - mostly at district "training days" where new leaders were getting the basic training for their program and position-specific, and they also threw in YPT and sometimes Risk Zone. I also did it on the CO level (troop, pack and crew) when we got enough people together who needed it and a couple of times at the council service center as part of their regular schedule.

Nobody has asked me to do it since YPT became mandatory and council started encouraging people to do it online. As I said before, I do not think the online course is anywhere near as good as the live (with video) course. I agree that at least for the initial training, the live (with video) course should be required. I don't see it happening because I don't think they are going to change the rule (adopted a few years ago) that YPT must be taken before registration, and requiring a live course would create bottlenecks in getting new people registered. The compromise, as I suggested earlier, would be to revise the online course so it basically replicates the live/video course, complete with handouts. I agree that the in-person discussions are valuable, unfortunately I don't think enough people are going to do it when they are just registering for the first time. I think you would lose a lot of new leaders that way.

I have never heard of a fully instructor-delivered YPT course.

Picture an all day RT atmosphere with sock puppets and 1980s videos about stranger danger in a hot room with 50 other people who don't want to be there. That's face to face YPT. ;)

Just updated mine, and seems to me that the intro has been improved since the last time I took it.  

It clearly notes that all participants, registered or not, should "be familiar" with the basic YP policies.  We try to get parents to at least take the non member on-line program, even if they choose not to actually register.

Were I to be in charge...

I would have some sort of short training required of every volunteer every year. Focus on the things like two-deep leadership, no one on one contact, all the basic provisions, available in person or online.

Have a youth protection management training be required, with more in depth detail, more background and theory, more on what to do if an incident occurs. This training could also be a train the trainer for the simpler training. Require this of the primary unit leader and all YPT trainers. Maybe require one person per outing to have it. Require it of camp staff, council employees, etc. Face to face only, very detailed syllabus. Probably on a multi-year basis.

I am told annually by Council that my YPT has expired and reminded that I need to take it every two years.  

Invariably, they have the wrong date for when I took it last.

Invariably they want me to "print" a copy of the "certificate" and "email" it to them.

BSA, of course, is the ultimate record keeper as the certificate copy is at its site.

...and BSA wants your troop data? ROFL.

You'd think a system based on BSA ID would be linked to your membership and training records and would be available to national, district and council for validation.

It might not be such a bad idea to put on a pot off coffee, drag ot some cookies and all do YPT together and then hold a discussion on how all of this relates to the way things are done in the troop.  It could be a good ice-breaker for new parents looking to register and it makes a nice meet 'n' greet for all the adults.  The spoonful of sugar approach.

Did this the first time face to face. It wasn't all day but it was way too long and I can't figure out how the district found the most ignorant person in the area to 'train' us. But they did. Most everyone in the room just suffered through and got 'annointed'. There is something special about 'face-to-face', and it isn't 'good' special.

Did this the first time face to face. It wasn't all day but it was way too long and I can't figure out how the district found the most ignorant person in the area to 'train' us. But they did. Most everyone in the room just suffered through and got 'annointed'. There is something special about 'face-to-face', and it isn't 'good' special.

I too have experienced unqualified trainers, but not all trainers are incompetent.  Tomorrow I will take Catholic YPT, and the trainer has won his high school's Distinguished Teacher award eleven times.  I've seen him work.  He's good.

If you encounter a bad trainer, have a calm talk about him or her with your district or council training chair.  If not for you, do it for the next batch of victims.

• Upvote 1

I have never heard of a fully instructor-delivered YPT course. In my experience it was always the video introduced by a facilitator who then stopped the video for discussion at the prescribed times, handed out the handouts, and then took questions and led the discussion at the end. That's what I refer to as "live" training. I took the facilitator training about 15 years ago and facilitated the live training about 20 times - mostly at district "training days" where new leaders were getting the basic training for their program and position-specific, and they also threw in YPT and sometimes Risk Zone. I also did it on the CO level (troop, pack and crew) when we got enough people together who needed it and a couple of times at the council service center as part of their regular schedule.

Nobody has asked me to do it since YPT became mandatory and council started encouraging people to do it online. As I said before, I do not think the online course is anywhere near as good as the live (with video) course. I agree that at least for the initial training, the live (with video) course should be required. I don't see it happening because I don't think they are going to change the rule (adopted a few years ago) that YPT must be taken before registration, and requiring a live course would create bottlenecks in getting new people registered. The compromise, as I suggested earlier, would be to revise the online course so it basically replicates the live/video course, complete with handouts. I agree that the in-person discussions are valuable, unfortunately I don't think enough people are going to do it when they are just registering for the first time. I think you would lose a lot of new leaders that way.

Well, when I was getting my Tiger Cub Den leader training, they had it set up so that the morning was YPT and Safe Swim Defense, and a couple of hours after lunch for Den leader training.  The YPT was instructor delivered, with a powerpoint, but not a video.  (My Tiger cubs are now sophomores in high school)  The YPT was the powerpoint and each powerpoint was illustrated by the instructor with a war story. 

My council started this last year. YPT can not lapse during the Charter year, so effectively you need to take it every year. Within our troop, we've required any parent that wants to attend an outing to take it as well. 

I think we may need to institute that for parents and drivers on outings.  I just think it's safer for all.