Strong personalities in conflict

I am caution about adult Eagles. I have found they are usually no better or worse than any other active adult. Most of our best volunteers were never Eagles.

I guess I am just happy for any leaders that want to volunteer.  If someone is an Eagle then they know the program and (hopefully) understand what the process is.  Not saying all Eagles are great scout leaders, just saying that if someone who happened to be an Eagle and whose son joined my troop, I would certainly not make it difficult for them to join or make them feel unwelcome!

Going back to tEaglewiththree's  original post:

Again, welcome to the virtual cracker barrel....    You will find good cheer and teeth gnashing as you prefer...

The idea that you are not welcome in "their " Troop may well be true. But that does not mean it is any less "your" Troop, due to your son's entre there in.

You have two choices, as I see it.  One, stand back and let your son make his own way in the Troop. Watch and see what happens. Make it known , politely, to the Troop Leadership (the SPL and the SM) and your Scoutson that you are available for whatever is needed in support of Scouting:  driving, training (what is your expertise?), chaperoning (take the YPT!) , or just applause from the sidelines. And be on the sidelines....   Two, Make application to be a ASM or maybe a Committee Member, Take the appropriate training ("they" can't stop you from taking training! You MIGHT even enjoy it!) and then see what they make of that.  They MUST either accept you or not and TELL you why.  Then you can have a say in what happens or at least be more visible from the sidelines.  You will have some presence and have a better reason to note that "well, maybe we should do THIS rather than THAT. ". And, your action might give other previously reticent  ("I'm not welcome or able to participate")  Scout parents the impetus to involve themselves, too.   

And, there is , after all, a THIRD choice.   If Scoutson is having a good time and you and he are satisfied with the Troop's activities etc., then YOU could move on and utitlize your Scout experience and enthusiasm as a District person. Become a Commissioner.  From there, you can do a lot to encourage and help Scout folks.  Join the Training Committee.  Help with Cub Scout Day Camp. Help with the RoundTable.  Encourage a new unit (that was my duty as a "Deputy District Commissioner". ( I think the title of "Deputy" has been retired)).   Are you OA?  They might could use a Chapter Advisor, or Ordeal Cook, or Ceremony Advisor....

My point is, I guess, to not just accept "their"  judgement that you are not welcome and therefore not appropriate in any fashion (?) to be a Scout parent/leader/helper.   Smile and wave as you go by.....

I always had good luck with Eagles because they know scout skills and have a general idea of the boys side of the program. They are much more patient with the boys because they know there is more to scouting than leading and advancement.

Barry

I always had good luck with Eagles because they know scout skills and have a general idea of the boys side of the program. They are much more patient with the boys because they know there is more to scouting than leading and advancement.

Barry

My experience has been the opposite. They can't stay out of the boys' way and need to be kicked in the butt to volunteer for the tough jobs.