Scout Accident Insurance

We have 4 active claims right now in our council.  Kid got hurt at a pack meeting.  Running around, climbing on tables, finally hurt himself.  Parent was not more than 10' away and hadn't reined him in, just let him run wild.  Suing the council for negligence on discipline at the meeting.  Rates will be going up I'm sure with parents like this.

Don't remind me. I had someone say I should sue the guy who dislocated my shoulder. I asked why, he did everything as we were taught in our class (Aquatics Supervision Safe Swim) last year.

On a positive note, I turned in the incident report, and they sent me the paperwork automatically.

I just reread my post, and made me realize that I sound like one of those folks who is sue happy. Hoping if I expand it sounds more accurate. Someone at work told me I should sue the person who dislocated my shoulder. I asked "why," and they said ' for dislocating your shoulder." I that's when I told the, they followed everything by the book and the rescue.

Why would anyone sue someone who got them out of a bad situation?

I just reread my post, and made me realize that I sound like one of those folks who is sue happy. Hoping if I expand it sounds more accurate. Someone at work told me I should sue the person who dislocated my shoulder. I asked "why," and they said ' for dislocating your shoulder." I that's when I told the, they followed everything by the book and the rescue.

Why would anyone sue someone who got them out of a bad situation?

It's all part of the entitlement attitude of more more people in our culture.  Your situation is no different than winning the lottery.  That's how we roll.

We live in a competitive culture.  Everyone is looking for a win.  If one takes responsibility for oneself, there's always the possibility that one would have to admit defeat if ever they did something wrong.   For most people, that ain't ever gonna happen.

If one takes responsibility for oneself, there's always the possibility that one would have to admit defeat if ever they did something wrong.   For most people, that ain't ever gonna happen.

True that. I admit I'm a little embarrassed that I needed help. I know I would have been OK, using all my training and expereince to slowly get to shore. But seeing the 2nd lifeguard made life so much easier.

Rabbit barn at the County Fair (wife is sorry I chose to come in later rather than earlier today, but choices in life.  House needs cleaning too).   Signs everywhere:  "Do Not Stick Fingers In Cages. Rabbits May Bite!"  And in espaniol...  I approach a woman using  right index finger to stroke bunny thru wire, she responds "I have rabbits, I am a rabbit person. I know rabbits".  and stalks off. 

Boy, perhaps 6 years old, RUNS into barn, CLIMBS on cage and rabbit reacts by nipping his fingers.   We retrieve boy, apply first aid to fingers.  Where's your mommy?  "She's over there" and he gestures out the door.  We call the office, animal control lady comes down,  and assesses the situation.  Mommy shows up,  "oh, Johnny what happened?  How could you people be so NEGLEGENT in ALLOWING my boy to be INJURED??!!  (her insistence  showing). She threatens to sue.  Animal control lady says.  " you are certainly free to act as you see fit, but your boy is not hurt, and I am about to report you to the police for child abandonment.  May I see your identification for my report?"     Mom and boy walk off and are not seen again.....

• Upvote 2

Rabbit barn at the County Fair (wife is sorry I chose to come in later rather than earlier today, but choices in life.  House needs cleaning too).   Signs everywhere:  "Do Not Stick Fingers In Cages. Rabbits May Bite!"  And in espaniol...  I approach a woman using  right index finger to stroke bunny thru wire, she responds "I have rabbits, I am a rabbit person. I know rabbits".  and stalks off. 

Boy, perhaps 6 years old, RUNS into barn, CLIMBS on cage and rabbit reacts by nipping his fingers.   We retrieve boy, apply first aid to fingers.  Where's your mommy?  "She's over there" and he gestures out the door.  We call the office, animal control lady comes down,  and assesses the situation.  Mommy shows up,  "oh, Johnny what happened?  How could you people be so NEGLEGENT in ALLOWING my boy to be INJURED??!!  (her insistence  showing). She threatens to sue.  Animal control lady says.  " you are certainly free to act as you see fit, but your boy is not hurt, and I am about to report you to the police for child abandonment.  May I see your identification for my report?"     Mom and boy walk off and are not seen again.....

Love it !!!!

I may have missed it, but PLEASE say the mom was the "rabbit person". ;)