• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And Spartans isn't a cultural appropriation?

Herr Schlecht Wolfe:  Ein, zwei, drei,  g'suffa!  Mein Lederhosen  ,noch einmal,  so klein nicht ist..  Ein andere, bitte....   (Erlauben sie mal... Keine Umlaut....)

Or the wholesale appropriating of football jerseys by people who were never assigned a number. (Says the kid whose old-school folks only went to games in suit-and-tie or active-duty uniform. And would

Herr Schlecht Wolfe: 

Ein, zwei, drei,  g'suffa!  Mein Lederhosen  ,noch einmal,  so klein nicht ist..  Ein andere, bitte....

(Erlauben sie mal... Keine Umlaut....)

Es gab keine Umlaute da zu benutzen. ;)

Technically if you're using Bavarian (g'suffa) it would be "Eis, Zwoa, Drei". But few self-respecting Bavarians would be caught dead on the Wies'n. :)

NOAC is so big it requires a MAJOR university.

In the Middle West, that would be:

The University of  Missouri

The University of Nebraska

The University of Oklahoma

The University of Arkansas, MAYBE

NOAC is way to big for any scout reservation, even HRB, with it's 2000 bed capacity.

So from the exploitation of those of Greek decent to those exploiting tigers, the corn-husking industry or people who exploited the westward expansion. ;)

I hear the University of North Texas has 36,000 students and a big campus. Their msacot is a green eagle and they are called "Mean Green". Even the left wing tree huggers would have a tough time finding something to picket there. They even have Mable Peabody's downtown. ;)

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Because NOAC is not about Camping, it is not about Outdoor Activities. It is about Classes and Fancy Shows....

Is That really Breaking News...Has NOAC ever been at a Camp?

If The Summitt can't handle NOAC I don't see how it can handle National Jambo and World Jambo..I hear this years World Jambo hosted over 30,000 Scouters

• Upvote 1

Why does NOAC need a university?

What @@jpstodwftexas said (except the part about Summit, which can handle thousands of campers but a limited number of lodgers). Plus ...

I think part of the idea is to get boys acquainted with college campuses. It'd be nice if your average welding school could house that many!

And, it's sort of why O/A has positioned itself to disallow female youth who are card-carrying members of the BSA ... because the adults at the top wanted it so.

I'm also willing to bet that the vast majority of those Scouts and Scouters out there who think it's cool to wear a clan tartan kilt are really certified by the family to do so.

I AM certified to wear my family's tartan.  I had to prove my genealogy to the correct people in Scotland, but I did get myself certified.  How many women out there claiming to be DAR?  Veterans?  How far do we go before someone raises a red flag?  Maybe one ought not start looking for the line in the sand and just respect the traditions of others. 

While my family qualifies from two separate paths for DAR, and even with the HQ only a few miles away, I actually know very little about representing that link.

As for the Tartans, my problem (ok, my Son's, my side didn't qualify), is that the Tartan he's linked to is just so  ugly.

Edited by gumbymaster

While my family qualifies from two separate paths for DAR, and even with the HQ only a few miles away, I actually know very little about representing that link.

As for the Tartans, my problem (ok, my Son's, my side didn't qualify), is that the Tartan he's linked to is just so  ugly.

Mine too, but you can't pick your family.  :(

I have Scottish ancestry but not of any clan affiliation.  My family comes from Aberdeenshire which does have a tartan of it's own so I could wear the Aberdeen tartan (which is quite a handsome tartan).  The Aberdeen tartan was created sometime between 1746-1782, during the period when tartans were not allowed by order of the King.   It is an example of a district tartan, representing a specific place.  The original tartans, which weren't created until the 1600's, also tended to be tied to a place but not necessarily because it was honoring the place but because the weavers were using threads of colors that were available to them in their locale.  Folks dyed threads using the plants available to them (for instance, goldenrod) and if you lived in an area that didn't have that plant, you probably weren't going to have that color thread on hand (unless you were able to trade for it).

Interesting note about clan tartans - we tend to think of clan tartans reaching way back to the 1600's and 1700's and being associated with specific clans way back then - but that's not quite how tartans came to be identified with certain clans.  Tartans may have been informally associated with certain clans before the 1800's but that was mostly due to regionalism (again, weavers working with what they had) and not because of any kind of rule - the Clan McGregor's might have all worn the same style tartan because their weavers used the same pattern and colors for the cloth they used but there might be McGregors wearing other tartans because they traveled and traded for them.  It wasn't until the late 1700's and early 1800's, as tartan societies and makers started to gather patterns in books that the clan tartans started to be exclusively associated with clans - in some cases, when tartan book companies called on clans for their tartan patterns, the elders didn't even know if they had a clan tartan (because they didn't know what a clan tartan was) and  would choose the one most commonly used by their clan.

I do, however, and on occasion, wear a tartan but not the Aberdeen tartan.  I wear an "Original State of Maine" tartan kilt (which is not the official Maine tartan though it was created in the 1960's with the intention of being so - the legislature has never created an official tartan).  The kilt was hand woven for me by the copyright holder of the tartan who also happened to be my landlady for a time when I was a student in Maine.  I figure that's permission enough for me to wear it.