I married into a family with plenty of Scottish origins, but all genealogy work has not found a bit in my background.

As for the Native American aspect of the OA - I think that some lodges do a great job of working with the local tribes, but I have seen plenty of Hollywood Indians at OA events as well. The feathered headdress of the Plains Indians is a combination of the religious garb of the Pope plus the medals and hash marks on a decorated Marine. Each feather has meaning, and to many tribes someone else wearing that garb is fairly insulting, regardless of our intent.

I don't care about the attitude of the offenderati on the campus, but I do listen to my friends in the Cherokee and Navajo nations when they talk about these subjects. It is something to consider, and would be a great discussion at the Lodge level.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And Spartans isn't a cultural appropriation?

Herr Schlecht Wolfe:  Ein, zwei, drei,  g'suffa!  Mein Lederhosen  ,noch einmal,  so klein nicht ist..  Ein andere, bitte....   (Erlauben sie mal... Keine Umlaut....)

Or the wholesale appropriating of football jerseys by people who were never assigned a number. (Says the kid whose old-school folks only went to games in suit-and-tie or active-duty uniform. And would

Our lodge doesn't have a clue. Our unit spoke with the local nation and got them to help us (actively) dress out our ceremonial team in dress consistent with the role intended. Our songs, music and dance are all consistent with actual dances from our local nation.

The lodge looks like a bad B western set when they do their ceremony. It is embarrassing.

Edited by Bad Wolf

Our lodge doesn't have a clue. Our unit spoke with the local nation and got them to help us (actively) dress out our ceremonial team in dress consistent with the role intended. Our songs, music and dance are all consistent with actual dances from our local nation.

Please, please, PLEASE KEEP AT IT (caps for begging ;)  )  I tried for years to get my current chapter to go local, It was slowly getting there, then stopped when I had to concentrate on Cubs.  However, our lodge has picked up on it.  Some chapters still go "Hollywood" but more and more are going local, including mine.

That is awesome that your unit did that Bad Wolf. That is type of stuff that makes Scouting work, and gives great memories.

Please, please, PLEASE KEEP AT IT (caps for begging ;)  )  I tried for years to get my current chapter to go local, It was slowly getting there, then stopped when I had to concentrate on Cubs.  However, our lodge has picked up on it.  Some chapters still go "Hollywood" but more and more are going local, including mine.

Our unit is not looked upon well by the adults in the lodge....mostly the guys who have been around forever and don't want to lose power.

Our kids have three ceremony teams now, do webelos cross overs and we do our own tap outs. Our kids love it and we've even pulled kids from the next district who can't get on the lodge team. At first kids wanted to quit their units and join us, but we said stay in your unit and join us anyway.

• Upvote 1

Our troop has a native American leader. Problem is he is from Arizona and only knows those tribes which are different than the tribes here in Kansas.

I'm not sure how that is a problem. The goal is to find what's noble among the tribes in your area and use that as a way of finding nobility among the people around you.

I can see a leader from one tribe providing insight on how Arrowmen from his area comported themselves, and using that experience to inform on how the Arrowmen he now knows should grow and learn.

Our troop has a native American leader. Problem is he is from Arizona and only knows those tribes which are different than the tribes here in Kansas.

I'm from CA but I learned MT real fast. ;) I am sure he can too.