• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And Spartans isn't a cultural appropriation?

Herr Schlecht Wolfe:  Ein, zwei, drei,  g'suffa!  Mein Lederhosen  ,noch einmal,  so klein nicht ist..  Ein andere, bitte....   (Erlauben sie mal... Keine Umlaut....)

Or the wholesale appropriating of football jerseys by people who were never assigned a number. (Says the kid whose old-school folks only went to games in suit-and-tie or active-duty uniform. And would

Seems there is always something to jab the Scouts about....

http://campusreform.org/?ID=6722

Unfortunately I'm not surprised. As others have noted, the culture on many university campuses is getting ridiculous. I ran across an interesting article the other day that calls this movement Vindictive Protectiveness instead of political correctness (as they have different motivations). I think I like that term.

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus.

OMG....obviously the guy who protested wanted his "15 minutes of fame".

As a Ceremonies / Drum & Dance Advisor for my local Chapter, I must agree however, that when the OA is emulating American Indian dress and, to some degree, tradtions, when done wrong or bad, it does not paint the OA in a very good way.

On the other hand, it's simply a known fact and acknowledged even by some American Indian groups that in some cases, the regalia used in the OA (again, when properly researched and done right) is actually more historically correct and "authentic" that what is worn today by many American Indians in a given area.

I noticed in that article that nobody from a local tribe said anything. I'd listen to what they have to say a lot more than students. I suspect MikeS is right. It could be a great way to teach people about another culture.

I looked up the Indigenous Graduate Student Collective and found this quote:

One of the founding members, Nikki Silva hopes to conduct research with American Indian communities however in her words she doesn’t “have a lot of background in American Indian issues and is interested in learning more about the specific and unique issues facing Native peoples. I hope my research in anthropology and archeology can give back to Native communities today.â€

OMG....obviously the guy who protested wanted his "15 minutes of fame".

As a Ceremonies / Drum & Dance Advisor for my local Chapter, I must agree however, that when the OA is emulating American Indian dress and, to some degree, tradtions, when done wrong or bad, it does not paint the OA in a very good way.

On the other hand, it's simply a known fact and acknowledged even by some American Indian groups that in some cases, the regalia used in the OA (again, when properly researched and done right) is actually more historically correct and "authentic" that what is worn today by many American Indians in a given area.

WOW. I know even some in the OA do not know of the long history the OA has had with some nations in helping to preserve culture, language, arts, etc. Some folks involved mat not be involved in the OA anymore, but if you ask them how they got their start, they will tell you the OA.

As for OA regalia being more historically "authentic" than today's NA regalia, most good ceremony teams focus on one specific period, and do their research. native culture is not dead or stagnant, but alive and vibrant. It is ever changing, and best reflected in the Powwow styles.

As for Ms. Silva,  maybe I should introduce her to some of my archaeology, anthropology, and ethno-historian friends who developed their interest in Native  American culture from...

.... doing ceremonies and dance while youth in the OA.

And Spartans isn't a cultural appropriation?

...or Ole Miss

I noticed in that article that nobody from a local tribe said anything. 

Not unless the namesRice, Meissner and Edlemann are Cherokee and part of that lost tribe. ;)

It's not like the BSA hasn't had internal arguments about these very same issues for years so really, no reason for any of us to go off the deep end here.  I clicked on the links in the article and saw that the protest was four people holding up signs at the Spartan statue on campus and respectfully engaging and listening to other points of view while those giving the other points of view were respectfully engaging and listening to the protestors.  All in all, what I saw was a perfect example to the Scouts of free speech and respect for others - it looked to me as if both sides were following the Scout Law and were acknowledging that they could find common ground.

The protesters have a point - there has been cultural appropriation by the OA - it's no secret that the OA actually acknowledges this.  The OA also has a point - we've worked hard and closely with Native American tribes and groups to reverse the "Hollywood" imagery that was common right on in to the 70's and 80's to become more culturally appropriate, and one way we're doing that is to more closely emulate the tribes indigenous to our areas.  Souix feather headresses are becoming a bit less common than they were.

The protesters have a point - there has been cultural appropriation by the OA - it's no secret that the OA actually acknowledges this. 

This happens every weekend with teams making billions on such appropriations. Other than the obvious contentious "appropriations" you don't see too many people complaining about stereotyping Cowboys or Raiders or Rangers or Giants.

If the OA was performing their ceremonies like some bad B western Indians then I could see the indignation. I just don't see the fuss here.

This happens every weekend with teams making billions on such appropriations. Other than the obvious contentious "appropriations" you don't see too many people complaining about stereotyping Cowboys or Raiders or Rangers or Giants....

Or the wholesale appropriating of football jerseys by people who were never assigned a number. (Says the kid whose old-school folks only went to games in suit-and-tie or active-duty uniform. And would have us run laps and pound sand if we darkened the door with a jersey we didn't make the cut to wear.)

• Upvote 1

I'm also willing to bet that the vast majority of those Scouts and Scouters out there who think it's cool to wear a clan tartan kilt are really certified by the family to do so.  I would be willing to bet the tartan was selected not because it was the family tartan, but because it was a cool color.  But, hey, who cares anyway.  If I want to wear a tartan, or use some cool family crest, or wear an Irish knit sweater that goes with my dress pants, it's nobody's business but me.

Wrong, family wears family tartans and knits not yahoos at Walmart.

I AM certified to wear my family's tartan.  I had to prove my genealogy to the correct people in Scotland, but I did get myself certified.  How many women out there claiming to be DAR?  Veterans?  How far do we go before someone raises a red flag?  Maybe one ought not start looking for the line in the sand and just respect the traditions of others. 

I wonder if German Anericans will put an end to people wearing silly hats and leather pants this Oktober. How racist is that? I'll be throngs of Germans will protest THAT exploitation.

Herr Schlecht Wolfe: 

Ein, zwei, drei,  g'suffa!  Mein Lederhosen  ,noch einmal,  so klein nicht ist..  Ein andere, bitte....

(Erlauben sie mal... Keine Umlaut....)

Edited by SSScout
  • Upvote 2

Then there's the NFL's Vikings depicting an inaccurate depiction of some Norwegian wearing a helmet with horns.  That was never the case.  Another inappropriate caricature of an NFL football team.  :)  Go Pack!

Well, if I'm reading the letter-to-the-editor that inspired the protest correctly, the end game is not one of understanding. The writer simply does not want that "racist" Order of the Arrow on the Michigan State campus. Fair enough. There are many other places that would accommodate NOAC.

One possibility would be somewhere in the Kansas City area. HOAC would welcome NOAC with much friendship and warmth...ain't I right @@John-in-KC?