My.scouting.org Update

Yesterday there was an update to my.scouting.org under My Dashboard, then My Training.  There are now YPT, Training Center, Requirements, and Completions tabs.

YPT - This shows your YPT status for Youth Protection Training, Venturing Youth Protection Training and Exploring Youth Protection Training, and allow you to take all three.

Training Center - this is essentially what was on E-Leaning tab of myscouting.org.  You can view your training status for all online available courses.

Requirement - This shows all of your registered positions and all related training for those positions.  It shows your status for each of these courses, and if available, you can take them from there.

Completions -  Shows the status of all of your complete courses and you can print training certificates.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would turn over the management of my unit's data to one of my teenage scouts before I would give it to BSA.

Gee, as stupidly Captain Obvious my answer was, it turned out to be correct.  But then we're dealing with the BSA here when it comes to computer technology here.

I am far far from a techie, but the other day I was helping my son with an Excel project.  I told him "Before you do anything, make a full copy of your current sheet, so that no matter what you can al

My big fear with my.scouting.org or scoutbook.com is everything seems to be a future promise.  Everything evolves so extremely painfully slow that I view it more as hot air and empty promises.  IMHO, I think my kids will finish their scouting careers before much of it is delivered.  I fear the delivered platform will be way out-of-date before it is delivered.  

Edited by fred johnson

My big fear with my.scouting.org or scoutbook.com is everything seems to be a future promise.  Everything evolves so extremely painfully slow that I view it more as hot air and empty promises.  IMHO, I think my kids will finish their scouting careers before much of it is delivered.  I fear the delivered platform will be way out-of-date before it is delivered.  

That's a fair assessment. Look at the roll out of my.scoutiing.org. All it is is an interface update to existing data on the back end. That's it. Somehow in developing, testing and deploying that they lost thousands of records. How? BSA will not say. My contact tells me they tested with production data (a big no no in IT) and someone deleted the records when done. Mine was one of them. I now have NONE of my 12 years of training in my my.scouting or myscouting accounts anymore. *POOF* Bye bye.

My.scouting.org is so clunky and so 2002-2006 technology. I fear you assessment above is more than spot on.

My contact tells me they tested with production data (a big no no in IT) and someone deleted the records when done. 

I am far far from a techie, but the other day I was helping my son with an Excel project.  I told him "Before you do anything, make a full copy of your current sheet, so that no matter what you can always go back to where you started without losing anything permanently."

How hard is that as an idea, the first time you don't do it you realize you should never do it again.

• Upvote 1

How hard is that as an idea, the first time you don't do it you realize you should never do it again.

It is a widely accepted practice in IT NEVER to use production (real) data when you test anything.

For the Game Design MB we go over how to stage data, back it up and use it properly. Why a company as large as BSA would not know to do that is beyond me.

It is a widely accepted practice in IT NEVER to use production (real) data when you test anything.

For the Game Design MB we go over how to stage data, back it up and use it properly. Why a company as large as BSA would not know to do that is beyond me.

Clearly you have not fully embraced the zeitgeist of the perpetual beta!  Besides, dev/qa servers cost money and time and effort.

Clearly you have not fully embraced the zeitgeist of the perpetual beta!  Besides, dev/qa servers cost money and time and effort.

In the cloud, it's pennies. It's all ball bearings nowadays. C'mon guys. It's not like we're talking Fetzer valves and Quaker State. ;)

Can someone here please explain, as if to someone with no knowledge of databases, what the difference is between myscouting.org and my.scouting.org?

There's an extra .  (period) in the my.scouting.org.  :) I've been in the computer business for over 30 years and I still don't know what the difference is.  Just something out there that someone is going to make a lot of money off of.

Can someone here please explain, as if to someone with no knowledge of databases, what the difference is between myscouting.org and my.scouting.org?

There's an extra .  (period) in the my.scouting.org.   :) I've been in the computer business for over 30 years and I still don't know what the difference is.  Just something out there that someone is going to make a lot of money off of.

They are the same thing. Myscouting.org was the old interface. my.scouting.org is the new interface. Same tools. Same data. Same functionalities with a few more added.

Why BSA would change the interface AND change the whole location of the of service (going from myscouting to my.scouting) is pretty silly. It causes the exact branding nightmare that @@NJCubScouter is pointing out.

Imagine what they will do with ScoutBook. ;)