My.scouting.org Update

DO NOT USE TH NEW CODES WITH THE ORIGINAL DATES!!!!!

I wastold todo that by aDE and while it provided a quick fix at tthe time, 3. or 4years late it. caused major problems.

Let me lookfor thetraaingcode lnk

Well most scouters who have old training aren't gonna still be around in 3-4 MORE years. ;) and maybe the BSA will get it all figured out by then.

Also in the system you don't add codes, you can only choose from a drop down list of class titles with codes. And only a few old codes are listed, like S101 Boy Scout Leader Basic Training Pre 2001.  Most old course codes have been dropped from the system as far as I can tell.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would turn over the management of my unit's data to one of my teenage scouts before I would give it to BSA.

Gee, as stupidly Captain Obvious my answer was, it turned out to be correct.  But then we're dealing with the BSA here when it comes to computer technology here.

I am far far from a techie, but the other day I was helping my son with an Excel project.  I told him "Before you do anything, make a full copy of your current sheet, so that no matter what you can al

Well most scouters who have old training aren't gonna still be around in 3-4 MORE years. ;) and maybe the BSA will get it all figured out by then.

Also in the system you don't add codes, you can only choose from a drop down list of class titles with codes. And only a few old codes are listed, like S101 Boy Scout Leader Basic Training Pre 2001.  Most old course codes have been dropped from the system as far as I can tell.

You'd be surprised. My training dates to the early 1990s, and one SM in my district has his from the1960s! I'm still around.

the link i provided had all of the training codes for myscouting.org . i assume, and you know what happens when when you assume ;) , that my.scouting.org would use the exact list.

Does anyone remember when the national training committee stated that the only way to be considered "trained" for the trained strip, traing awards,  and for JTE was to have the most current training? Then people complained and they decided that local training chairmen (read district and council training chairs), can decide to accept the older training or not. So I am assuming that the district training chairs can fill out training reports using the current codes and current date if they accept the older training.

FYI one thing I was advised to do whenever I teach a class:  add my name to the student list.

I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to copy the drop down menu list over here so you could view it.  ;)

It's not easy without editing the html and I'm not up to that tonight.

it's broken down by cub scouting, boy scouting, varsity/venturing, exploring/learning for life, and other.

there are only 18 courses listed under boy scouting, some others could apply that are in the other list maybe.

interesting that there is den chief training and NYLT listed to add for boy scouting,

but I've not been able to add any training for youth.

so for boy scouting it lists by name and by number, but this is by number cause that's a shorter list to type here. ;)

S101, SFS, C31, S97, S11, P33, D76, S78,SSD, SA, S24, WA01, S50 WS10, WSFS, WS81, N02 AND Y01

for cub scouting it lists 22 courses

c32, c42, c101 cf3, wcf3, c40, c31, cf1, wcf5, c33, cf4, c41, c60, c62, wa01, t00 cf6, ws81, cf2, c61, y01, wcf4

other  listing is 

commissioner trainings, national camp school trainings

CPR/AED, MBCtraining, woodbadge, SSD, SA, etc. 

If you can align what was taught in a prior class with a current curriculum then count it with the newer code.  But if it's been 20 years, well I don't know that I have a problem with getting someone to take training again.  Sometimes it helps to bring you up to date on all the new requirements and recommendations. 

Along the lines of training discussion,

We have two new ASMs who need SM Specifics.  There isn't a course nearby for a while, so I asked our unit commissioner and he suggested that we had woodbadge trained people who could teach SM specifics.  Well as far as I know woodbadge doesn't mean you can teach sm specifics.  lol

What does BSA say for trainers now, EDGE? Train the trainer course D70? What does it take to be an "official" trainer to teach such a class?  Normally you might expect the SM to teach it, but we are having some difficulties getting that to work out. 

With the exception of CS leader training, and that is only because of the new program, everthing taught today was taught back in the day. Actually I would say back in the day was better because there was more emphasis on the patrol method. Today's SM Specific and ITOLS was a single course with an added component, the model troop meeting.

When I did mine, it was an all day Saturday session, one weeknite troop meeting session, and a 3 day two nite camping session. It was not broken down like today. You had to attend all three sessions because you were put into a patrol for the entire time.

As for folks retaking training they already have, I'm against it. I do not like wasting people's time. Either they are doing it right, or you will be wasting your time trying to help.

In regards to WBers doing SM Specific, gotta remember that CS and Venturing leaders take the same course now. IMHO you really need someone with SM or ASM experience to teach it.

On a slightly different note, IF all the old training codes didn't transfer over, I' glad Idon't have to tell our former district commish he is ''untrained'' again. Not fun telling PTC Faculty they are untrained:-)

Forgot to add that Roundtable is where the updated info should be given out

Why RT? If BSA is moving in to the 21 Century with STEM, electronic MB books and other things, can't we get away from paper distribution of information and the incessant need to have meetings when an electronic communication, virtual RT or some other form of communication would be 1) more effective, and 2) less time consuming?

If folks REALLY want to have a RT -- presumably for social reasons -- let them have it, but don't hold those who don't want to go hostage by making it the only place to get certain information. If RTs are going to shake this reputation they need to stand on their own as a quality product. 

Certain certifications are needed to maintain accreditation in various fields.  One takes the basic course and is qualified, but then so many "continuing education" hours are needed to maintain it.  I can see doing X number of hours per year to maintain one's trained status and that could be handled very nicely at RT, UofS, summer camp, camporees, etc. when the people are already in attendance or have a reason for attending in the first place.  

Certain certifications are needed to maintain accreditation in various fields.  One takes the basic course and is qualified, but then so many "continuing education" hours are needed to maintain it.  I can see doing X number of hours per year to maintain one's trained status and that could be handled very nicely at RT, UofS, summer camp, camporees, etc. when the people are already in attendance or have a reason for attending in the first place.  

I could see if RTs offered WRFA or CPR/AED or climbing or RSO training. In my area these are done by units, not district or council, so the training offered is really nothing more than I can get online. To drive to RT and back is a waste. I'd go if they had better training.

No, I mean worth-the-trip kinds of training.  And not just a rehash of basics either.  Maybe something on dealing with some of the things we cover here on the forum.  Ya, know, the real stuff we have to deal with in our units.  For example, the active thread on whether or not a scout can go camping with another troop on a regular basis.  The topic comes up in a conversation with someone and it gets developed into a mini-seminar on how to go about it.  Maybe someone else in the class would be willing to do it so the inquirer won't have to run all over the place looking for some help for the boys in their troop that doesn't camp.

Small numbers, how to deal with that situation.

Too many scouts, how to deal with that situation.

ADD/ADHD, Autistic, Asperger scouts, how to deal with that situation.

Cooking and menus, maybe nothing more than bring recipes and do a little swapping. 

What's good with the water purification situation.

My.Scouting.org and it's problems.

ETC.

Surely there is something of value one can put together to help advance the learning curve of our leaders in the district.

^those are the things our roundtable used to do whenever they didn't have a planned program of 'this is what you are supposed to cover this month" shoved at the rt commissioners.

The old/trained/experienced leaders were regularly going and they'd have open time to talk and would make a list and cover everything thru the year that everyone needed about those kinds of special topics.

then they moved the roundtable location far away from most of the established units.  The idea at the district level is they thought they'd get the newer less established units to go to roundtable if the location was closer to them.  They still don't come, and the other guys all got tired of driving twice as far to talk to each other about stuff most of them already know.

I do like the idea that every year you have to do x hours or y amount of additional training, and provide a list to choose from. 

Make it simple so of course bsa probably wouldn't be able to figure it out would they? ;)

Right now we struggle to get everyone to take ypt, safe swim, safety afloat, climb on safety etc done online every 2 years.

But we also want leaders to have things like CPR, First Aid, wilderness first aid, paddlecraft safety, and more.

^those are the things our roundtable used to do whenever they didn't have a planned program of 'this is what you are supposed to cover this month" shoved at the rt commissioners.

The old/trained/experienced leaders were regularly going and they'd have open time to talk and would make a list and cover everything thru the year that everyone needed about those kinds of special topics.

then they moved the roundtable location far away from most of the established units.  The idea at the district level is they thought they'd get the newer less established units to go to roundtable if the location was closer to them.  They still don't come, and the other guys all got tired of driving twice as far to talk to each other about stuff most of them already know.

Doncha just love it when those who make the big bucks haven't a clue as to what's going on.  Maybe they ought to take a lesson on Servant Leadership and get out there and start making the program work instead of just meddling with it trying to make it worse.

• Upvote 1

I could see if RTs offered WRFA or CPR/AED or climbing or RSO training. In my area these are done by units, not district or council, so the training offered is really nothing more than I can get online. To drive to RT and back is a waste. I'd go if they had better training.

that would certainly make for a more "interesting" program for sure.... would encourage me to go more

but there's only so much of those to choose from.... and once you have it, no need to go back.

It took me a long time to find a BALOO class I could make.  they weren't offered very often

Have not taken OWL for the same reason

and it looks like IOLS will be hard to get too....

they mainly offer these is in the school season, and usually it seems this time of year when we are most busy with pack stuff.

Not that they could necessarily get all of one of these courses in on a roundtable, they could piece it out it segments maybe....

a bull session

3-5 minutes of announcements or whatever

then break out to something useful, like this.

It took me a long time to find a BALOO class I could make.  they weren't offered very often

Have not taken OWL for the same reason

and it looks like IOLS will be hard to get too....

they mainly offer these is in the school season, and usually it seems this time of year when we are most busy with pack stuff.

Not that they could necessarily get all of one of these courses in on a roundtable, they could piece it out it segments maybe....

a bull session

3-5 minutes of announcements or whatever

then break out to something useful, like this.

Odd, because our local CERT and S&R training teams teach during the week on a week-by-week basis just like RT. They push through about 20-40 people in each class 3-4 times a year....all with volunteers.

You'd think a volunteer driven organization like BSA could do at least a few session a year not in the middle of back to school, sports and several religious holidays....not to mention prime unit camping season.