My.scouting.org Update

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would turn over the management of my unit's data to one of my teenage scouts before I would give it to BSA.

Gee, as stupidly Captain Obvious my answer was, it turned out to be correct.  But then we're dealing with the BSA here when it comes to computer technology here.

I am far far from a techie, but the other day I was helping my son with an Excel project.  I told him "Before you do anything, make a full copy of your current sheet, so that no matter what you can al

Anyone know what to do if your account has completely disappeared?

I used to have an account (actually two) on myscouting, but last time I tried to log in it claimed that my username is not in the database and that there is no account associated with my email address. (I have emails still in my email account that proves that I once had such an account.)

Anyone know what to do if your account has completely disappeared?

I used to have an account (actually two) on myscouting, but last time I tried to log in it claimed that my username is not in the database and that there is no account associated with my email address. (I have emails still in my email account that proves that I once had such an account.)

I do. It happened to me. Welcome to the club. You are now one of a growing group of 5,000+ people who had your existing wiped out by BSA IT.

Call the contact number on the myscouting.org website. You will spend about 15 mins waiting. When you get someone they will take down your info and try to help. They will be unsuccessful. They will then kindly tell you that you are "one of a few" people who inadvertently had your account wiped out. You will need to create a new one. When you do you will use your BSA ID and they will swear your account is linked back to your original profile. This is where you reach in to your pocket and throw this...

bs-flag-sale.png

You need to do the following:

• Make sure they flag your account as having been lost and give them your old UID and BSA ID. This will "escalate" the issue to the engineering team which will keep it highly visible until they fix the problem. In the IT industry we call this an L3 issue and it usually gets higher attention then other issues.
  • Create a new account with your BSA ID. Confirm it works.
  • Log in to my.scouting.org (NOT myscouting.org) and verify that ALL of your training is on your dashboard. They were rolling out that feature when I called so much of my data did not show.
  • Your account will NOT work on myscouting.org's dashboard anymore. While you can still log in there you will not see your status or anything.

PM me if you have any issues. The BSA guy I got was nice enough, but did not fess up to the whole data loss issue nor the botched roll out of their application. A few guys I know in Dallas gave me the back story. Was not pretty. 

Make sure you don't get off the phone until your account on my.scouting.org shows all your training. Keep that trouble ticket open until your account is totally back.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

I had trouble logging in at first, but went through the forgot my username process and then forgot my password process and finally got logged in to find everything was pretty much okay.  I say that with a sense of trepidation because I don't think BSA IT is done messing with the new format and there's still a chance to lose stuff.

I also find that there's a few bugs in the software.  For example  my YPT was last taken 10-15-2014 and says it expires 10-15-2016.  Yet the title says   YPT Status: Expires 91d-2yrs  whatever that means.

I also find that there's a few bugs in the software.  For example  my YPT was last taken 10-15-2014 and says it expires 10-15-2016.  Yet the title says   YPT Status: Expires 91d-2yrs  whatever that means.

The latter bit, @@Stosh, means that your YPT expires in 2 years, 91 days.

Password is found in that same area.

I know, but it won't change.   It keeps telling me the old password isn't the right one.   Funny, as it was the same password that I logged in with not more than 5 minutes before.

And for the "secret questions", I fill them out, and the system says that they aren't accepted.   I'm not sure why, as if they would know if I first attended school in Timbuktu or Toronto or Toledo....

I'll just let it sit for another month, and then maybe those issues will be fixed too.

I know, but it won't change.   It keeps telling me the old password isn't the right one.   Funny, as it was the same password that I logged in with not more than 5 minutes before.

And for the "secret questions", I fill them out, and the system says that they aren't accepted.   I'm not sure why, as if they would know if I first attended school in Timbuktu or Toronto or Toledo....

I'll just let it sit for another month, and then maybe those issues will be fixed too.

I suspect there might be one of three issues going on here. First, my.scouting.org may not have the feature activated despite the menu option being there. That means that you can click and click all day long but it is not linked to update to anything.

OR

My.scouting.org may be a read-only copy of the BSA authentication system. That means that while you can log in to both sites, you can only change your PW at one of them: myscouting.org.

OR

The my.scouting.org site's user authentication system is a copy of the myscouting.org system BUT it only updates at night (or some other frequency).

To test this theory you can try this: Try to log in to myscouting.org and change your password there. If it is issue #2 you should be able to get in to both sites right away. If it is issue #1 or #3 it might take a few hours for my.scouting.org to replicate the changes made at myscouting.org.

If you are not an IT person this may not make much sense. Frankly, as an IT person this whole process does not make sense because no IT person worth their daily pay would do such a thing. ;)

PM me if you still have issues.

Edited by Bad Wolf

The latter bit, @@Stosh, means that your YPT expires in 2 years, 91 days.

Took me a while to puzzle it out, but 91d-2yrs actually means your YPT expires SOMETIME between 91 days and 2 years from now.  Theoretically something should be happening if your YPT expires in less than 90 days.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just went poking around in the training section for my unit.  Found a couple of problems.  Saw a report that said 80% of my leaders weren't fully trained, which I was sure was wrong so I dug a little deeper.  Turns out that, for Committee members, only E-Learning Committee Challenge is counted by the system as qualifying, so if you took it in person and/or prior to there being an online course, you are listed, at least for the my.my.my.oh.my system as not being fully trained.

The other weird thing I found was that there is only room for nine courses in the reporting fields, you can look someone up using my.scouting.org Training Validation and find 6 or 7 pages of training course competed, but in the .......  interface the magic number is always nine.

The first problem only bothers me because it makes a tool that could be useful --- a quick snapshot of where you stand with training --- and makes it useless.  The second problem bothers me more because I'm concerned that the full listing of training may become hidden away and inaccessible.

Anyone have any thoughts or insights on this.

Edited by T2Eagle

So I just went poking around in the training section for my unit.  Found a couple of problems.  Saw a report that said 80% of my leaders weren't fully trained, which I was sure was wrong so I dug a little deeper.  Turns out that, for Committee members, only E-Learning Committee Challenge is counted by the system as qualifying, so if you took it in person and/or prior to there being an online course, you are listed, at least for the my.my.my.oh.my system as not being fully trained.

Not just e-learining but that is what BSA considers "fully trained". So you can have a WB committee member who has a Silver Beaver and all sorts of other training, but if they have not done the Troop Committee Challenge, BSA does not consider them trained as a committee leader. To make this easy we require this training every January for new parents. Makes it easy later on.

The other weird thing I found was that there is only room for nine courses in the reporting fields, you can look someone up using my.scouting.org Training Validation and find 6 or 7 pages of training course competed, but in the .......  interface the magic number is always nine.

Easier just to have them send you their print out.

The first problem only bothers me because it makes a tool that could be useful --- a quick snapshot of where you stand with training --- and makes it useless.

That report is designed specifically for units and districts to report up "trained" leader stats as defined by BSA, as well as YPT adherence for registered adults. It could be a lot better but for what it was designed to do it accomplishes the task. I agree they could give this more functionality.

The second problem bothers me more because I'm concerned that the full listing of training may become hidden away and inaccessible.

Agreed. It should be an easy fix since it is just a report writing data to a page. Arguably they should be able to write as many fields as possible (all training or specific training) to the output file.

My problem with these reports is that I cannot get the training with older codes accepted.  They finally fixed me manually by putting in new codes.  But, in the more detailed list all my training shows just about, but since it was decades back, they do not cross reference like training.  Have two other members on my adult list with very old training, one as old as mine.  So far, have been unable to get it fixed.

On the other hand, at least I now can see more info than in the past, especially the YP, which is shown separately.

My problem with these reports is that I cannot get the training with older codes accepted.  They finally fixed me manually by putting in new codes.  But, in the more detailed list all my training shows just about, but since it was decades back, they do not cross reference like training.  Have two other members on my adult list with very old training, one as old as mine.  So far, have been unable to get it fixed.

On the other hand, at least I now can see more info than in the past, especially the YP, which is shown separately.

If it's within your unit you contact your unit key 3 [or training chair if a key 2 person has designated them as such in the myscouting system  they can add in the current code with the date of training to update your records.  Of course, understandably if it's a class that has been redesigned and may be really different now, it might be a good idea to take the current class.  So if they took a troop committee challenge in 1995 in a classroom setting maybe just ask them to take the current edition of the course online in 20 or so minutes. 

If it's within your unit you contact your unit key 3 [or training chair if a key 2 person has designated them as such in the myscouting system  they can add in the current code with the date of training to update your records.  Of course, understandably if it's a class that has been redesigned and may be really different now, it might be a good idea to take the current class.  So if they took a troop committee challenge in 1995 in a classroom setting maybe just ask them to take the current edition of the course online in 20 or so minutes.

DO NOT USE TH NEW CODES WITH THE ORIGINAL DATES!!!!!

I wastold todo that by aDE and while it provided a quick fix at tthe time, 3. or 4years late it. caused major problems.

Let me lookfor thetraaingcode lnk