Ever Had Your Scout Trailer Stolen?

Every now and then you read about Scout vans being stolen.

So here are some questions:

1. If your was stolen, what was in it, did you get it back, and/or did your insurance cover the loss?

2. We have had times where we have come to the van and their has been evidence that somebody had tried to steal it (ex. broken locks or chains). So I was wondering;

a. Does having your troop number and logo discourage or encourage theft?

b. Have you tried putting some sort of recovery or tracking device in your trailer?

We had our trailer stolen.

They cut the lock on a gate, probably used the safety chains to drag it away because they did not touch the hitch lock, and then cut the locks on the doors.

The only thing that was in the trailer was a foldable Lifetime picnic table, a 10 x 20 portable carport that we used for a canopy, and the spare tire.  

The insurance had a $1,200 deductible for the trailer and $3,000 deductible for the content.  We did not even come close to meeting it.  A dealer was going to sell us a new trailer at his cost, but ended up just giving us a new spear tire.  We have not replaced the table, but we did buy a new canopy

Around here, a trailer parked in the corner of a church parking lot is basically guaranteed to be a scout trailer, so we did not feel that having a troop logo on it made it a target.  However, we think that it was targeted because it is the only one with its own dedicated and fenced parking pad. 

The Trailer was reported at a construction site a week later.  I do believe having the logo made recovery faster, because that site had a dozen similar trailers seating there for nearly six months. 

We looked at tracking devices, but, they have recurring fees that we could not justify. So we just got a wheel boot.

A member of our church saw the troop trailer (not my troop) being pulled down the highway by someone without any scouts. She knew it was the troop trailer of her church because it was painted in bright orange with the troop number and church in BIG letters. She called the SM and verified it wasn't being used by the troop, then called the highway patrol and followed the trailer until the thief was pulled over.

Our troop has had three trailers stolen over the years. The hardest lesson was to learn that even though the church is the owner, they will not insure them. The trailer is now chained to a light pole in the middle of the parking lot exposed to the world. If it were up to me, I would also have the Quarter master remove a wheel and lock one of the studs. 

Barry

Do you mean has the Charter Organization ever had their Scout trailer stolen?  Sometimes, we forget who owns the troop and all the troop's equipment.

On a lighter note, a lady in our troop knew a company that would decal our newly purchased trailer for a very reasonable cost.  I found out why when I saw it at the next troop meeting with "Troup XX" prominently displayed on the side of the trailer. 

Edited by acco40

A member of our church saw the troop trailer (not my troop) being pulled down the highway by someone without any scouts. She knew it was the troop trailer of her church because it was painted in bright orange with the troop number and church in BIG letters. 

We had ours done that way too. BRIGHT blaze hunting orange with our unit numbers. Can't hide that thing if you wanted to.

If you don't have one no one can steal it.  :)

The once or twice a year that we may need one, we get one with the U-Hall marking on the side.  

Those that use their trailer for storage purposes are really begging for problems.