Having Wonderful Time, Wisht I'd Been There...

Not for $17,000. Better way to use my money.

Are you saying the individual fee for participants is $17,000? How on earth does it get so high?

We in the UK were charged about $4500, as a top tier country our Jamboree fees help those from poorer countries go. I'd guess USA is a top tier country too.

Yes, I have my doubts about the Jamboree too, a lot of effort for the few, when we should be providing for the many. On the other hand, it still looks amazing, and I wish I'd gone to the Japan one, and I hope the three we sent had a ball.

Ian

Are you saying the individual fee for participants is $17,000? How on earth does it get so high?

We in the UK were charged about $4500, as a top tier country our Jamboree fees help those from poorer countries go. I'd guess USA is a top tier country too.

Yes, I have my doubts about the Jamboree too, a lot of effort for the few, when we should be providing for the many. On the other hand, it still looks amazing, and I wish I'd gone to the Japan one, and I hope the three we sent had a ball.

Ian

Jambo is $2800. The local council "package" was that high for world jambo. Can't roll your own trip.

Jambo is $2800. The local council "package" was that high for world jambo. Can't roll your own trip.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but your local council were telling individual scouts they would have to pay seventeen *thousand* dollars to attend the Japan Jamboree? If that's the case...(a) how on earth did they justify that? and (b) no, that doesn't sound like a good value trip at that price at all. Cruel to make it that much for something that they'll only have one chance to go on as a participant.

Maybe when they schedule the World Jamboree in Bejing, your boys can get the discount passage on the slow boat to China from your council?

Diisclaimer: My apologies to all persons of Chinese descent who may have felt offended due to the arcane expression still in use by the older generation in our culture.

Edited by Stosh

I'd love to get you on a slow boat to China

All by myself, alone.

Get you and keep you in my arms evermore,

Leave all your lovelies weeping on the far away shore.

Song by Frank Loesser

His daughter, Susan Loesser, authored a biography of her father, A Most Remarkable Fella (1993), in which she writes:

""I'd like to get you on a slow boat to China" was a well-known phrase among poker players, referring to a person who lost steadily and handsomely. My father turned it into a romantic song, placing the title in the mainstream of catch-phrases in 1947. â€

The idea being that a "slow boat to China" was the longest trip one could imagine.  Loesser moved the phrase to a more romantic setting, yet it eventually entered general parlance to mean anything that takes an extremely long time.

So, Stosh, I don't think you have to worry about the PC police knocking on your door in the middle of the night.

Maybe when they schedule the World Jamboree in Bejing, your boys can get the discount passage on the slow boat to China from your council?

Diisclaimer: My apologies to all persons of Chinese descent who may have felt offended due to the arcane expression still in use by the older generation in our culture.

I've been on slow boat to China. If you avoid Beaumont you are in good shape though.

I'm confused on the costs. This is what the BSA website says about the World Scout Jamboree fees:

The cost to attend the 2015 World Scout Jamboree as part of the Boy Scouts of America's contingent is $5,750*, which includes the following: round-trip airfare from a commercial airport near the participant's home; the registration fee paid to the Scout Association of Japan; a two- to three-day tour of Japan; lodging; ground transportation; meals; troop equipment, including tents and cots; items provided to each participant including a duffel bag, day pack, neckerchiefs, and contingent patches; shipping of equipment to Japan; insurance; and other costs.

The jamboree contingent fee does not cover the cost of ticketing because of early or late departure from the jamboree site due to medical emergencies, family emergencies, and/or problems based on our Code of Conduct.

* This fee pertains to only BSA members within the United States of America and its territories.

Where do the $2,800 and $17,000 costs come from?

Edited by Rick_in_CA

Call me curmudgeon.  The videos looked like the Olympics without the contest...

Yes but that's kind of the point.

World Jamborees are not about traditional scout skills or back country camping. It's about interntaional friendship and meeting scouts from other cultures.

I've never been to a world one but did a European one in 2005. We had poles one side of us, Israel the other side of them, Italians the other side of us and Ireland the other side of them. Across the track were Swiss and Portugese units. It's a wonderful melting point of different cultures, languages and nationalities and that is nothing short of life changing.

No it's not your average camp out but it's something unforgettable.

I just find all the different uniforms to be amazing. Imagine the opportunities for path trading.

I wonder, did all the Scouts from that particular country fly out to Japan together as a group? I think HOA council sent 5.

I don't know how every country did it but the UK arranged its contingent into units of 36 scouts and 4 adults with each unit travelling on different scheduled flights. In some cases that meant being on the same flight as other units and in some cases on their own.

We had 5 from my group there, all now in various states of jet lag!

• Upvote 1