Official Adult Membership Standard

Seems pretty clear to me:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT: The Boy Scouts of America hereby adopts the following statement on sexuality and adult leaders: Matters of marriage, family, and sexuality raise profound social, moral, and theological questions. The Boy Scouts of America has always been deeply respectful of the religious and moral beliefs of its chartering organizations, including religious organizations. The Boy Scouts of America affirms that sexual relations between adults should be moral, honorable, committed, and respectful. Adult Scout leaders should reflect these values in their personal and public lives so as to be proper role models for youth. The Boy Scouts of America affirms the right of each chartering organization to reach its own religious and moral conclusions about the specific meaning and application of these values. The Boy Scouts of America further affirms the right of each chartering organization to select adult leaders who support those conclusions in word and deed and who will best inculcate the organization’s values through the Scouting program. The Boy Scouts of America rejects any interference with or condemnation of the diverse beliefs of chartering organizations on matters of marriage, family, and sexuality. The message of Scouting is one of toleration and respect for different religious and moral conclusions in this matter, acknowledging that reasonable minds may honorably differ. Any effort to exclude or penalize chartering organizations based on their beliefs or policies regarding marriage, family, or sexuality is contrary to the Boy Scouts of America’s commitment to religious freedom and respect for the beliefs and convictions of its chartered organizations.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT: No local council may refuse to process or approve a charter application or in any way limit the participation of a Scouting unit based upon the chartered organization’s exercise of its right to select adult leaders as provided in this resolution.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT: The Boy Scouts of America will defend and indemnify to the fullest extent allowed by law any bona fide religious chartered organization against any claim or action contending that the chartered organization’s good faith refusal to select a unit leader based upon the religious principles of the chartered organization is in violation of the law.

Interesting.

9. Will my religious organization have to allow gay leaders?
Religious chartered organizations may continue to use religious beliefs as criteria for selecting adult leaders, including matters of sexuality.

13. How does this change affect non-religious chartered organizations?
As they always have, chartered organizations will select their leaders and can require adult leaders to demonstrate behavior that exemplifies the highest level of good conduct and respect for others. Only religious chartered organizations may use religious beliefs as criteria for selecting adult leaders, including matters of sexuality.

So the claim is that only religious chartered organizations can use religious beliefs as criteria for selecting adult leaders. I don't see any language in the text of the resolution that would back that up. They also don't explicitly say that non-religious COs can't exclude gay leaders, just that they can't use religious beliefs to do so (which might end up being the same thing though).

With the exception of the indemnify clause, the text of the resolution clearly applies to all COs. What am I missing?

As usual, the BSA is clear as mud.

Quit focussing on the trees.  The real key to me is the very strong part that says:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT: The Boy Scouts of America hereby adopts the following statement on sexuality and adult leaders: Matters of marriage, family, and sexuality raise profound social, moral, and theological questions. The Boy Scouts of America has always been deeply respectful of the religious and moral beliefs of its chartering organizations, including religious organizations. The Boy Scouts of America affirms that sexual relations between adults should be moral, honorable, committed, and respectful. Adult Scout leaders should reflect these values in their personal and public lives so as to be proper role models for youth. The Boy Scouts of America affirms the right of each chartering organization to reach its own religious and moral conclusions about the specific meaning and application of these values. The Boy Scouts of America further affirms the right of each chartering organization to select adult leaders who support those conclusions in word and deed and who will best inculcate the organization’s values through the Scouting program. The Boy Scouts of America rejects any interference with or condemnation of the diverse beliefs of chartering organizations on matters of marriage, family, and sexuality. The message of Scouting is one of toleration and respect for different religious and moral conclusions in this matter, acknowledging that reasonable minds may honorably differ. Any effort to exclude or penalize chartering organizations based on their beliefs or policies regarding marriage, family, or sexuality is contrary to the Boy Scouts of America’s commitment to religious freedom and respect for the beliefs and convictions of its chartered organizations.

This is where the real decision is focussed.  And in truth, it could just as much be something not related to the Gay issue, like a leader bragging in front of the scouts and others about some kind of affair; or telling suggestive stories; or being drunk or high.  

Or having a wife and three concubines?

If a non-religious CO, or a religious one for that matter, wanted to allow a SM with a wife and three concubines to serve would the old rules have prevented it?

If a non-religious CO, or a religious one for that matter, wanted to allow a SM with a wife and three concubines to serve would the old rules have prevented it?

Nope, as long as the SM was of a different gender than the wife and all of the concubines.

If my memory serves me correctly, the 12 Sons (Tribes) of Israel were the result of 2 wives and 2 concubines.  The Bible, Torah, and Koran all support this position.  In terms of "religious freedom" the people of Utah had to abandon their religious practice of such things in order to become a state in the Union.  A classic example of politics overriding religious beliefs.  Marriage as defined as one man and one woman is not rooted in the Abraham tradition.

If my memory serves me correctly, the 12 Sons (Tribes) of Israel were the result of 2 wives and 2 concubines.  The Bible, Torah, and Koran all support this position.  In terms of "religious freedom" the people of Utah had to abandon their religious practice of such things in order to become a state in the Union.  A classic example of politics overriding religious beliefs.  Marriage as defined as one man and one woman is not rooted in the Abraham tradition.

That's until the history books get re-written, again. ;)

• Upvote 1

Personally I think the statement is well worded and finally reflects what scouting has always stated it was but was not following, that they are now nonsectarian in its attitude toward religious training.

And perhaps if your not a religion and can not deny people due to religious beliefs (ie. you have conducted yourself with respect for everyone around you, but since I know your a homosexual you can not be an BSA Adult leader).. But, if someone wants to be an adult leader (or is an adult leader) and they are "a leader bragging in front of the scouts and others about some kind of affair; or telling suggestive stories; or being drunk or high."  Then yes, you have a right not to accept their application, or revoke it..  Same as you always did for all these things, even though none of these items fell into the category or refusing homosexuals, not because of some negative behavior that they promote to the scout youth, but just because they are homosexuals..

Interesting.

So the claim is that only religious chartered organizations can use religious beliefs as criteria for selecting adult leaders. I don't see any language in the text of the resolution that would back that up. They also don't explicitly say that non-religious COs can't exclude gay leaders, just that they can't use religious beliefs to do so (which might end up being the same thing though).

With the exception of the indemnify clause, the text of the resolution clearly applies to all COs. What am I missing?

As usual, the BSA is clear as mud.

Pretty clear (from the linked document from the OP)

WHEREAS, the Boy Scouts of America recognizes the sincere religious beliefs and freedoms of religious chartered organizations and will not require any religious chartered organization to act in ways inconsistent with that organization’s mission, principles, or religious beliefs;

and later on

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT:

The Boy Scouts of America will defend and indemnify to the fullest extent allowed by law any bona fide religious chartered organization against any claim or action contending that the chartered organization’s good faith refusal to select a unit leader based upon the religious principles of the chartered organization is in violation of the law

Pretty clear (from the linked document from the OP)

The WHEREAS clauses layout the background for the resolution, but aren't part of the resolution. For the actual resolution, you start at the "NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:" line.

In the actual resolution, the only direct reference to religious COs is in the indemnify clause, like I said.

WHEREAS, the Boy Scouts of America recognizes the sincere religious beliefs and freedoms of religious chartered organizations and will not require any religious chartered organization to act in ways inconsistent with that organization’s mission, principles, or religious beliefs;

Unitarian-Universalists might disagree that the BSA does this. 

Unitarian-Universalists might disagree that the BSA does this.

Well, if you read it literally, it says the BSA "will not require..." In the future. Starting on July 27? (I realize that's probably not what they meant.)