• 2 weeks later...

I have been talking about walking stick medallions at every district meeting and other gatherings that I attend in my council.  I am consistently hit with "but do you have any idea how much costs to create a medalion or how long it would take to recoup the investment?"  I do not know the answers to those questions of course and Internet only research has not given me any help.  I have not contacted a vendor to see about the set-up because I am not in position to design or create a medallion.  Does anyone know the costs involved. Bad Wolf you created a coin?  I would imagine it is more expensive.

I have been talking about walking stick medallions at every district meeting and other gatherings that I attend in my council.  I am consistently hit with "but do you have any idea how much costs to create a medalion or how long it would take to recoup the investment?"  I do not know the answers to those questions of course and Internet only research has not given me any help.  I have not contacted a vendor to see about the set-up because I am not in position to design or create a medallion.  Does anyone know the costs involved. Bad Wolf you created a coin?  I would imagine it is more expensive.

We did this:

• Found a provider that could take our non-vector-based artwork. That's the key. That way you can create anything in powerpoint or photo shop and give to the company. Some charge for converting, others don't Obviously the less work they do the less it costs.
  • Do your own artwork. Make sure you get their specifications.
  • If they have a template or standard artwork it is cheaper to use theirs and customize the text.
  • Recoup of costs depends on your volume, your audience, your sale price, etc. We got them as gifts so we did not even try to recoup costs.
  • We have folks who do graphic design for a living so we could do our own artwork.
  • Custom design, high number of colors, etc., all equal higher costs. Keep it simple if you can.

Thanks, Bad Wolf.  I guess I will try to look deeper into this.  But it seems that everyone at Council is against the idea of advertising our relatively new camp property.  They are so strongly concerned about recouping costs quickly that they will not commit to making any merchandise.  While we are not any where near the level of Camp Rainey Mountian, that council knows they have a product and they are actively selling it.

Thanks, Bad Wolf.  I guess I will try to look deeper into this.  But it seems that everyone at Council is against the idea of advertising our relatively new camp property.  They are so strongly concerned about recouping costs quickly that they will not commit to making any merchandise.  While we are not any where near the level of Camp Rainey Mountian, that council knows they have a product and they are actively selling it.

That's too bad. Sounds like you council needs a better marketing person. I would think they would be interested in some type of marketing. Coins or medallions might be too high cost for them. T-shirts and hats are lower cost and easier to sell/promote, higher margins too. Everyone likes T's, the hiking stick medallion market is likely an over-40 old-fart thing. ;)

Quote from the place the BadWolf mentioned earlier came to $100 for initial cost to create the stamp the first time.  Then the first 50-99 medalions were $4 a piece.  After 100 they drop in price to $3 a piece.

That's too bad. Sounds like you council needs a better marketing person. I would think they would be interested in some type of marketing. Coins or medallions might be too high cost for them. T-shirts and hats are lower cost and easier to sell/promote, higher margins too. Everyone likes T's, the hiking stick medallion market is likely an over-40 old-fart thing. ;)

I guess I resemble the over-40 old fart thing!

• Upvote 1

Quote from the place the BadWolf mentioned earlier came to $100 for initial cost to create the stamp the first time.  Then the first 50-99 medalions were $4 a piece.  After 100 they drop in price to $3 a piece.

It is so sad that everything must be about making money for the council.  Even at $4.00 a piece with a retail price of $5.00 there is a marginal profit but free advertising among the old farts that Bad Wolf mention.  Aren't they mostly the ones guiding the Scouts in the selection of camp venues?

• Upvote 1

It is so sad that everything must be about making money for the council.  Even at $4.00 a piece with a retail price of $5.00 there is a marginal profit but free advertising among the old farts that Bad Wolf mention.  Aren't they mostly the ones guiding the Scouts in the selection of camp venues?

We are doing it.  We got samples and they look good.