Repeat Requirements

In planning out the years meetings coming up, and also reviewing requirements completed at day camp, I've noticed at least one instance of repeat requirements for Wolf. Call of the Wild adventure calls for a den skit or song of some sort to be performed at a campfire program. Then later in the book, Howling at the Moon adventure also calls for a skit to be performed. Does one skit count for both requirements? My husband and I, co-den leaders, disagree on this. He thinks that one skit should count for both, I think that technically that might meet the most basic sense of the requirement, it's not really in the spirit of the adventures. What say you?

I think it's a good idea to deprive the boys of doing a second fun skit.  As long as the boys are just there to get credit and a pin, having  fun is just a side benefit along the way.  I think you husband is totally 100% correct, every short cut one takes teaches the boys that get the prize first are the true winners.  On the other hand, if you think the program is meant to just have fun, you could probably do it your stupid way.

@@Lenae I sure hope you realize my answer is dripping with sarcasm. :)

I think it's a good idea to deprive the boys of doing a second fun skit.  As long as the boys are just there to get credit and a pin, having  fun is just a side benefit along the way.  I think you husband is totally 100% correct, every short cut one takes teaches the boys that get the prize first are the true winners.  On the other hand, if you think the program is meant to just have fun, you could probably do it your stupid way.

@@Lenae I sure hope you realize my answer is dripping with sarcasm. :)

I'm fluent in sarcasm, so I do understand the gist of your response, and I do agree with you.

I will note, however, that we have three (of seven) boys who loathe public speaking. It's worse than pulling teeth to get them to take part in a skit or song. They're otherwise well rounded, happy Cubs, ready to participate, so it's not something we feel a real concern about, but my husband's line of thinking is the fewer skits they are required to participate in, the better. To this point, we've tried hard to help them either think of something they're comfortable with doing in the skit, like a non speaking part, or make sure their speaking part is very small. When we do optional skits and songs, like for meetings, they aren't obligated to participate. This is simply where my husband is coming from.

I think we can just continue to offer smaller parts to the three boys who don't like doing skits, and still fulfill the requirements in the spirit that they were written.

• Upvote 1

This is between you and your den chief!

Also, think of ways the boys can participate in the skits with handling stage props, as ringers in the audience, puppeteers, etc ...

Maybe ask one of the introverted boys if they would like to help write a skit for the other boys to act.

No one starts out liking "public speaking".  But skits are a major part of the learning process into adulthood for scouts.  They go and do goofy skits and everyone gets a good laugh and the ice warms a bit.  As the boy develops these become more natural and eventually in Boy Scouts they can make presos, teach mini classes/seminars, talk to a group of boys, do silly skits and sing stupid songs along with all the rest of the boys.  It's part of the processes of working together as a team for the sake of the team.  The boys aren't doing stand-alone speaking, they are doing a skit with their pards.

To deny the boys the opportunity to do a couple of these with just one event and pencil whipping the rest deprives the boy an opportunity to grow and develop.  I surely hope that this doesn't become a negative for the boys so they become fearful of doing it at all.

Skits and songs are a major part of campfire activities which your boys may never be able to be a part of unless they practice.  I didn't and still don't really like the water.  But I kept coming back and doing more.  Eventually I got really close to earning my life-saving certificate.  I can swim really well, but I do not swim for fun, I swim so I can canoe, kayak, sail, etc.

Do I like to do stupid skits?  No, but for the sake of my boys, I get up there with the rest and do my part.  It's a lesson we all need to learn.

Your husband will be doing a grave disservice to the Cubs if he "double dips" on the requirements. Scouting is designed to allow Scouts to learn new life skills, and repetition is one way of learning. Especially for those uncomfortable doing stuff. It gets them involved, builds their confidence, and they grew from the experiences. One of the best things about being a leader is watching these kids grow. This is especially true when you've watched the kids since Tigers. One of my Scouts sicne he was a Tiger is asking me for a letter of recomendation for the junior national honor society. He's not the same little boy I first met many years ago.

When I talk to job shadowers applicants, it's funny that I can tell who has had some Scouting expereince, and who hasn't. Most of the kids have mom, dad, or even grandparents contact me for the info and scheduling. Even college students do that (inlcuding one who was trying to get into med school!)  9/10ths of the time, the ones who do the contacting and paperwork are usually Scouts or were in JROTC. They've had some responsibility and are executing it.

Also  various policy books over the years specifically stated that double dipping, UNLESS SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED AS ALLOWED(emphasis, more on that in a minute), is prohibited. And usually it's dealing with long term stuff that needs to be accumulated like nights camping can count towards the rank, Camping MB, OA, etc.

Doing skits doesn't fall into that category.

In planning out the years meetings coming up, and also reviewing requirements completed at day camp, I've noticed at least one instance of repeat requirements for Wolf. Call of the Wild adventure calls for a den skit or song of some sort to be performed at a campfire program. Then later in the book, Howling at the Moon adventure also calls for a skit to be performed. Does one skit count for both requirements? My husband and I, co-den leaders, disagree on this. He thinks that one skit should count for both, I think that technically that might meet the most basic sense of the requirement, it's not really in the spirit of the adventures. What say you?

Cubs love skits.  I think two are in order. 

I'm fluent in sarcasm, so I do understand the gist of your response, and I do agree with you.

I will note, however, that we have three (of seven) boys who loathe public speaking. It's worse than pulling teeth to get them to take part in a skit or song. They're otherwise well rounded, happy Cubs, ready to participate, so it's not something we feel a real concern about, but my husband's line of thinking is the fewer skits they are required to participate in, the better. To this point, we've tried hard to help them either think of something they're comfortable with doing in the skit, like a non speaking part, or make sure their speaking part is very small. When we do optional skits and songs, like for meetings, they aren't obligated to participate. This is simply where my husband is coming from.

I think we can just continue to offer smaller parts to the three boys who don't like doing skits, and still fulfill the requirements in the spirit that they were written.

Public speaking is something most of us hate (I read somewhere that public speaking is the biggest phobia in the U.S.).  The more we do it, the better we get.  Skits don't need to have much in terms of speaking.  I have one skit where only one boy needs to speak.

Leave No Trace Skit

Props--a clearcup of water, and a cup of dark drinkable liquid (coke, fanta, root beer, iced tea, koolaid, gatorade), and an empty clear cup

Before the skit begins, the end boy needs to hold a mouthful of the dark liquid in his mouth, until the end of the skit.

Boys go out in a line, then turn to face the audience.

First boy (with cup of water) says, Mr.?Mrs. ____ our ____leader taught us all about Leave No Trace and about keeping clean on campouts.

Then the boy takes a sip, pretends to totally fill up mouth with it. Then he pretends to be cleaning out his mouth with it (semi-gargle), then he turns and pretends to spit it into the next boy's ear. That boy blows up his cheeks as if filling up with water, gargles and then pretends to spit into next boy's ear. (do this 4 or 5 times). Then, have the last boy spit his dark liquid into the cup, and say "See."