Let's Talk Latrines. Best, Worse, Favorite?

The one's we frequented had flushies and showers in the main RV campground but pit toilets in the group campgrounds.

The best I have seen are in Texas. Their state parks are great. Flush toidies, showers, water and electric in 90% of their sites. The primitive sites are more like you say.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those "boom boxes" sound alot like the "pilot & bombardier" facilities at Philmont.

Sorry, I live LNT but there are ways to do you duty and make sure it does not harm the environment. I draw the line at packing out my duty. A good cat hole and biodegradable paper will do the trick.

No problem, I thought maybe you thought using wax paper was a poor idea.  

The type of human waste disposal system emplyed at a location is less about convenience for the visitors (and their desires) and almost entirely based upon volume of use. No facilities are appropriate in locations which get so few visitors. Front country locations might have pit toilets or outhouses. Areas with many visitors require more extensive systems to handle the volume.

Seasonality also plays a part.  In colder weather and winter overing in the northern climes requires the pipes and fixtures clear of water or they will burst due to freezing.  Pit toilets are year around minimum maintenance.  I did notice that Shenandoah NATIONAL park there were a lot of pull-off viewing areas that had pit toilets.  Higher altitudes, colder clime and frozen pipe hassles.  Not worth the expense.