A Catholic Church Says No

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a lot more to this story and some rather messy history. The additional links above give some hints about it, but there is more for those wanting to dig deeper.   Undoubtedly this individual

I have more problems with this kind of political agenda and posturing than I have with the gentleman's homosexuality.  People can be straight jerks and homosexual jerks.  But they do have one thing in

This is why this issue will never end.  This will be tied up for years leaving CO"s clueless as to what to do and will eventually find the wait a hassle they no longer wish to deal with.   The point

It will be interesting to see which path this man chooses. I'll take the words of the article that he "represents everything that a Boy Scout should be.... a leader that so many people look up to" at face value. In which case, I assume he will immediately seek out and find a unit that will welcome and appreciate his work. He could also register and serve on the district level in a variety of capacities, work on a camp staff, etc.

Simply put, he can respect the church's beliefs and move on to many opportunities that await him.

The other path he could choose would be that of a continual thorn in the side of the archdiocese.

I hope he chooses the better path.

Edited by WAKWIB

I'm guessing that he had already read and understood the new BSA policy, including local option, before he applied to be a Scout leader for a Catholic church-owned unit.  He also knew, since he had previously experienced it first-hand, the policy of this Catholic diocese.

He knew he was going to be rejected.  He is just trying to cause trouble.

This issue will be addressed by the court of public opinion prosecuted by those whose political agenda is motivated by political correctness.  The Catholic diocese is the bad guy in this sutation as the bigoted, narrow-minded one who BSA had to reluctantly, but only temporarily, try and sate with it's vaguely worded new world order for the program.

At least the article itself seemed to be a fair representation of the Church's side.

The Church's statements were, in context, well reasoned and did a much better job of explaining the purpose of the local option than anything I have seen from BSA national.

That said, it might have improved the response if the Church had explicitly reminded the prospective Leader that the decision applied only to the Church's unit, and that the prospective leader would likely be welcomed at other Scout units.

It would also be to the Church's advantage if they were consistent in their rulings (i.e. none of the other Leaders should be "living in sin" outside of (1st) Marriage, etc.).  I do not know if they are are aren't, but it would strengthen their case if any lawsuit did result.

The CO has always had the right to limit the membership and leadership as it sees fit.  That is nothing new.  It can limit membership in it's Scout units to folks that are adherents/members of its faith, only members of it's individual house of worship, only male,  separate male - female units of Venturers,  almost any way they see fit to match their vision of Scouting.   Look at our LDS friends, how they "adjust" the Scouting program to match their view of how they want to treat their youth.   Muslim sponsored units are similar in their arrangements of male- female.... Orthodox Jewish units,  there you are.    I don't see BSA insisting they change.  

As a Commish, I have seen COs insist in such things, notably a RCatholic church of my acquaintance ( It is a small Troop)   will politely refuse membership to folks not of their membership,  and I refer them to other units. 

"Nothing to see here, move along please..."

BSA will adjust and move on.  Some will join, some will form their own activity groups, some will never have the benefits (?) of Scouting, some will join other "clubs". So has it always been, so it will be.

I am a leader in my unit and district, there is a unit in our area that would not allow me to be a leader because I am not their religion.  So my son knew that he was not going to that unit and I consider it their loss.  In fact, that units policy has driven away almost all of their leaders and is about to fold.  So I think local option is working IMHO.

<<I see a discrimination lawsuit soon. That didn't take very long to have someone not allowed to join/rejoin.>>

The USSC decision giving the BSA exemption from antidiscrimination laws was based on the consistently enforced, uniform policy against homosexuals.  Since that policy is now out the window,  I expect that we will be seeing decisions from courts which now impose those antidiscrimination laws on BSA,  and make any sort of option illegal.

There is a lot more to this story and some rather messy history. The additional links above give some hints about it, but there is more for those wanting to dig deeper.

Undoubtedly this individual decided to make a media event out of his BSA membership status, yet again. He always makes sure to have some supportive parent ready to give a quote, too, rather better at playing the PR game than BSA, but rather predictable for those that remember his routine.

• Upvote 2

I have more problems with this kind of political agenda and posturing than I have with the gentleman's homosexuality.  People can be straight jerks and homosexual jerks.  But they do have one thing in common.

• Upvote 2