World Scarf Day, Nostalgia, And Old Friends

So August 1st is World Scarf day, any one with any past or present connection to Scouting is asked to wear their neckerchief to promote Scouting. I am assuming August 1st was chosen to commemorate BP's Brownsea Island experiment August 1-8, 1907.

Anyway for nosalgia, I posted the patch on my troop growing up necker on FB.

WOW the memories and renewing of old friendships all because of posting it..

post-42924-0-55664500-1438398393_thumb.jpg

So August 1st is World Scarf day, any one with any past or present connection to Scouting is asked to wear their neckerchief to promote Scouting. I am assuming August 1st was chosen to commemorate BP's Brownsea Island experiment August 1-8, 1907.

Anyway for nosalgia, I posted the patch on my troop growing up necker on FB.

WOW the memories and renewing of old friendships all because of posting it..

One of the things I love about this forum. I learn so much. I never heard of World Scout Scarf Day until I read this post! To bad I didn't see it until I was home for the evening I could have worn my scout necker to the outdoor concert I went too.

post-4918-0-82449400-1438504809_thumb.jpgBit of history......

It has it's roots in the 2007 World Jamboree when following the sunrise ceremony on 1 August (and yes, picked to mark the Brownsea Island camp) scouts were asked to hold their necker/scarf above their heads.

The 2011 jamboree in Sweden took the idea on and the idea of everyone round the world wearing theirs sprang from there.

As a bit of nostalgia one of my favourite scout photos attached, taken at the closing ceremony of the European Jamboree (Eurojam) in 2005. What 15000 scouts from 68 countries looks like!

• Upvote 1

It started on Twitter several years ago and migrated to Linkedin and now it's on Facebook for a few years.  They are also on Instagram.  It is every year.  I have been taking part for many years.  It is a lot of fun.  I actually conversed for a few years with the person who was coordinating it on Social Media for awhile.  Nice guy.

https://scouteradam.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/worldscarfday-is-august-1st-2/is a blog post I wrote years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/Scout.Scarf.Day

As to why the BSA does not advertise it....Have not a clue.  I know that the Montana Council has a Event listed on their FB page.

Edited by Hueymungus

Probably because since 1972, neckers have been optional for Boy Scouts, and national Supply is getting out of the necker business as soon as their stock is out. ( don't get me started on that as my son's troop is in the process of voting on their 3rd neckerchief in about 6 years b/c they used national's designs).

I admit I wore it to the pool for the pack's aquatics event, but forgot to put it back on for some orienteering work after coming home from the pool.

And great SCOTT, I have old freinds coming out of the woodwork on facebook becasue of the post.