Hello!

Newly registered member of the forum, just wanted to say hello. I was a member of the old forum, back about 10 years ago I guess, so sort of a returning member.

I keep doing this Scouting stuff now mostly for the youth, but also because (despite all logic) I actually enjoy it and have many friends I only see through Scouting, it is sort of a big substitute family for me.

Presently I only take on minor, supporting, behind the scenes roles in Scouting due to other obligations in life, but have been active for a quarter century now between youth and adult tenures. My experiences include being part of the Key 3s of an OA Lodge, a Boy Scout resident camp, and a District; in addition to former Troop level leadership.

I am an Eagle Scout, earned Arrow of Light as a Cub, and have received just about every award a Council and Lodge can throw at someone. I have summitted Mt. Baldy at Philmont and been to Jambos and NOACs. I also used to be a Beaver, a good old...

As for details of what I presently do in Scouting, where I hail from etc... I don't have any secrets, just prefer using an element of mystery to enhance the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Also new to the forums although I have 'lurked' for quite a while and gained a lot of good advice from time to time. Seems like sometimes a 'sifter' is needed though.

One more thing in case an administrator would like to sweep out the barn, I tried to register simply as vumbi but somehow I flubbed the process so I had to redo it under this name. Sorry for the clutter.

Edited by vumbi1

Welcome to the active forum, Lurker.   :)

You can register any name you wish and then change it in your profile.

Cool! I'll give it a try.

[a few minutes later] OK, tried to return it to what I had originally intended. Evidently the system thinks that name is taken. I'll just stick with this one.

Edited by vumbi1

A skunk under my tentmate's cot. This was at summer camp when I was a teenager. I can't remember why I woke up but I thought I heard something so I turned on my flashlight and...surprise! I think he had some snacks or something. I was frozen, hoping the guy didn't wake up and freak out or something.

So....I waited for a while, checking things every few seconds with the flashlight. The skunk didn't seem to care at all. Then it left.

I wondered if it had a regular 'circuit' or something. So I followed it for a while. Everyone in camp was asleep. The skunk was in its own world, checking garbage cans, tents. After about a half-hour I got tired again and went back to my tent and asleep.

My tentmate woke in the morning and asked me if I smelled skunk somewhere. I just said 'yep, a little'. I never told him.

Danger, a few times. Always alone. I take risks if I'm alone but I'm super careful if I'm with someone. The last thing I want is responsibility for someone else getting hurt.

Hottest temperature was 117 degrees F in California a few years ago. Coldest, h'mmm.... that would be Slovakia back in the final days of 1999. Caught in a blizzard that killed a bunch of people in Europe. That would be the most snow too. I have no idea how deep it was.

Edited by vumbi1
  • Upvote 1