Gates Quote From The 2014 National Annual Meeting

So the question remains, move forward?  Where?

My mantra throughout all the bad stuff has always been I'll do my best and ignore the rest. Whether it's myself doing a poor job or something else I have no control over, it doesn't matter. I'm having some fun and helping at least a little bit.

Now, I'm going backpacking with my troop. Have a nice weekend.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Mr. Gates addressed that in his speech in May 2015. He mentioned what he had said a year earlier but said the situation had changed. Of course, it would have been better if he had not made a d

Gates' words then, like his more recent claim that BSA will solidly defend the rights of religious COs, are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. He was elected (or perhaps, it was more like sel

If you don't mine, who is your CO?

I am SM of a troop here in CO that is chartered by the Knights of Columbus (Catholic).  We are also waiting to see what the Knights will do.

I just hope that we do not lose our charter before my youngest son has a chance to make Eagle.  He is Life and a year or so away.

Fellow Catholic here.

Fellow Catholic here.

Is your CO the parish or the Knights?

So far, I have not heard any rumblings.  2 years ago, we were told we would most likely be sent packing.  I joined the Knights so I could participate in the Vote to keep or drop the troop.  Since then, the Knights and the Troop have built a much better relationship so I am hoping that the Local rule will be enough.

Is your CO the parish or the Knights?

So far, I have not heard any rumblings.  2 years ago, we were told we would most likely be sent packing.  I joined the Knights so I could participate in the Vote to keep or drop the troop.  Since then, the Knights and the Troop have built a much better relationship so I am hoping that the Local rule will be enough.

Parish. We were told that, as long as the church can still control how the unit is run, we will be allowed to stay. Were further told the higher ups are meeting in August and will decide what to do for all parishes.

Unfortunately there is a ripple effect (or maybe a tsunami effect) that has to play itself out due to the initial action.  It's really not done as of yet.  The decision is the only thing that is done, now we will find out what it means and with the magnitude of the action it may take a couple of years to find out whether it was a good or bad thing for the BSA.  The ship may weather a lot of storms over the course of time, but eventually if not captained correctly it will go down.  With 70% of the units faith based this could have a major effect on the future of Scouting.  LDS plays a big role, as do the Methodists Baptists and a few Lutherans.  Scouting has had a pretty clear vision of what it is all about, but now I'm thinking a lot of people no longer know what that may be.

So the question remains, move forward?  Where?

I have to agree with @@Stosh here, there are effects from this that will take some time to shake out, so it isn't "over" yet. While I believe that local control is the only choice that honors the fundamental BSA values of respect for other faiths (yeah I know, those religious faiths don't deserve respect), it will still generate some large effects. Sometimes doing the right thing isn't easy.

The LDS pulling out would have a significant effect nationally. What the long term effect of the LDS leaving is hard to tell. But the short term would be a big negative as the LDS supplies a lot of direct support at the local level (at least half of our council's round tables are in LDS facilities, not to mention district and council recognition dinners and other like events).

I have to agree with @@Stosh here, there are effects from this that will take some time to shake out, so it isn't "over" yet. While I believe that local control is the only choice that honors the fundamental BSA values of respect for other faiths (yeah I know, those religious faiths don't deserve respect), it will still generate some large effects. Sometimes doing the right thing isn't easy.

The LDS pulling out would have a significant effect nationally. What the long term effect of the LDS leaving is hard to tell. But the short term would be a big negative as the LDS supplies a lot of direct support at the local level (at least half of our council's round tables are in LDS facilities, not to mention district and council recognition dinners and other like events).

Yes but there are two other threads on the same issue already....

The number of scouts we would lose if the LDS were to pull out is roughly the numbers of scouts we have lost in the last 6-7 years

So that would be the mathematical equivalent of losing twice that number in the time span of 6-7 years.  I would think BSA would be focusing in on INCREASING membership instead of taking the chance and doubling down on the losses. 

WAKWIB, what is your basis for saying that Randall Stephenson is "not content with 'local option'"? Is there a quote somewhere that you can link to?

Stephenson runs AT&T. Companies like his give into activists all the time whether they believe in their agenda or not because it is a PR nightmare if they don't jump on the bandwagon. If Stephenson became president, any "anti" gay decision would be carried over to his business where he has fiduciary responsibilities. He may be the CEO, but the board and stockholders would force him to make decisions that would spare them and their profit and not have their name in the media in a negative light. Activists are not happy with local option. He would be pressured to do away with it and he might do it to protect AT&T.

Side note, Stephenson's nephew was my son's best friend in grade school and jr high. My son recruited him to our troop, but that lasted less than 6 months. Stephenson also worked for my older brother at AT&T many years ago. He was a night shift computer operator and lived in a mobile home. My brother used to give him rides home after work.

Edited by SR540Beaver

Parish. We were told that, as long as the church can still control how the unit is run, we will be allowed to stay. Were further told the higher ups are meeting in August and will decide what to do for all parishes.

Also a fellow Catholic. What higher ups are those? The ones in your diocese? Just curious. I can't imagine that the bishops will make a national policy.

I've heard the same thing.  A meeting is being held in August.  I don't know anything more.

I've read recent statements by two bishops. Perhaps ironically, their respective dioceses are right next door to one another. Bishop Folda of Fargo, ND thanked the BSA and stated that Catholic-chartered troops would "continue to act in accordance with the Church's teaching and select volunteers based on character and conduct consistent with those teachings."

http://www.inforum.com/news/3809853-fargo-diocese-thanks-boy-scouts-stating-faith-based-organizations-can-pick-leaders

Bishop Kagan of Bismarck, ND, broke all ties, effective immediately:

http://bismarckdiocese.com/news/letter-from-bishop-decision-on-boy-scouts-of-america

These two dioceses together cover the entire State of North Dakota.