Does Your Council Staff Off-Summer Camp Activities?

I am seeing more "school vacation" staffed activities at council camps in New England. Ironically these 'school vacation" activities are mostly STEM oriented though there is OKPIK in winter. However, Council staffed weekend activities (archery, rifle, waterfront, BMX, ATV) are elusive around here. The reasons as you can guess - camp staff  away at (local) college, OA put all the gear away, conflicts with Camporee/OA/Training,..

Does your Council staff off-summer camp activities?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does your Council staff off-summer camp activities?

Camps are open, but there's no staff there other than the ranger. If we want a range, we staff it.

That's in the western plains.

yes, they do a couple cub family camp weekends fall and spring, and there's some sort of winter blast thing they do for scouts and Webelos between christmas and new years, but I've not been to that one....

My old Council ran two family camps (spring/fall) staffed by current and former Camp Staff.  They'd open up swimming, boating, and the shooting ranges and ran a campfire one of the nights.  Some years they even opened up the climbing tower if they had the qualified staff for it.  It also served as a casual staff reunion, which was nice.  They "paid" the staff with a free weekend of camp and food.  

Usually each month had some sort of District/Council event at camp.  Sometimes it was a camporee, other times it was a specialty program like a COPE weekend or training course.  Current Council has a number of weekend events.  In both Councils the weekend events are mostly staffed by the volunteer committees in charge of said events.  

If we're talking about paid staffing, most events can't afford to add that into the budget.  If we're looking at this from the angle of "Does the Council provide staffing for these kind of events?" I'd argue that volunteers serving on the Council (Insert event here) Committee are the Council-provided event staff.

• 2 weeks later...

We do not have programs with a lot of variety offered. Since we are in Florida, the camps are open year-round. If a unit wants to use the shooting sports facilities or climbing, then they request the Council's subcommittee to staff it. We only charge for the facilities not the staff.