Policy Statement From The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod On Scouting

Wisconsin Synod has it's own scout program (Pioneers) just like the Catholics (Scouts of St. George) , Assembly of God (Royal Rangers), general conservative protestant (Trail Life USA), etc.  

The pie will continue to split as time goes on.

I can see the tendency in all of these slices to push more religion and drop the outdoors or leadership. People with hammers look for nails, and when everyone is of the same religion that hammer is going to get bigger. Something else will have to give.

All the church youth groups I hear about from my scouts are run very differently than a troop. They are all about entertaining the kids while teaching them religion and the focus of boy scouts is more on kids making decisions, where religion is less important.

Who is going to be the keeper of the Green Bar Bill flame? I can guarantee you if the Union of Reform Judaism decided to make it's own scout program they would have no idea who GBB is. I suspect the same goes for all the other slices.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your unit is chartered by a Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod parish, life has just gotten more interesting.   http://blogs.lcms.org/2015/lcms-statement-on-boy-scouts-of-america-policy-change  

I have worked extensively with church youth groups for 40 years and Scouting 30+ years.  The church groups tend to really shy away from the outdoors types of activities and focus more on ministry acti

Not as big as the Judean Peoples Front!  [hey, where's my rim-shot emoticon???]

I have worked extensively with church youth groups for 40 years and Scouting 30+ years.  The church groups tend to really shy away from the outdoors types of activities and focus more on ministry activities, what Scouting would call service projects.  Their focus is two entirely different directions.  As far as leadership is concerned, that varies from one youth group to the next and will vary over time depending on the youth involved as well.  The females tend to be stronger in the area of leadership across the board, but there have been a few males that step up and figure it out.  There is generally no prescribed leadership training going on in these groups, most of it is spontaneous natural leadership development.

I have had 15 years experience in Venturing and find that they don't differ much from a lot of church youth groups.  It's just that they do more outdoor activities rather than service activities (ministry activities). 

• Upvote 1

@@BDPT00 better watch where you put your cursor when you type or you might get banned. :)

Hard to tell what is yours and what you are quoting.

Thanks, Bad Wolf.  Read you loud and clear.  I tried to quote a portion of the text, and couldn't get myself out of the quote box.  Hence the ' *** ' above.

I've replied to a personal message regarding the LDS thread, but your post offers an opportunity to apologize publicly.  I messed up, and I hope the damage is understood and repairable.  Very sorry.

Thanks, Bad Wolf.  Read you loud and clear.  I tried to quote a portion of the text, and couldn't get myself out of the quote box.  Hence the ' *** ' above.

I've replied to a personal message regarding the LDS thread, but your post offers an opportunity to apologize publicly.  I messed up, and I hope the damage is understood and repairable.  Very sorry.

I have that issue sometimes when it looks like you can't get out of the quote box. Try hitting return then using the up and then down arrows to get the cursor out. I have found that to work, odd as it may sound.

I don't think you are the one that owes an apology. You made a mistake and a mod jumped on you with threats. Not very mod- or scout-like IMHO. You should not be demonized for making an honest mistake. ;)

If that happens, click the little button on the upper left and switch out of formatted mode, then look for the

block. Put your cursor after it and start typing. Hit the upper left button again to switch back into formatted mode.
  • Upvote 1

Not as big as the Judean Peoples Front!  [hey, where's my rim-shot emoticon???]

At least one person got the reference. ;)

I sometimes feel like this place is turning in to that scene with the People's Front of Judea, the Judean People's Front, and the highly touted Judean Popular People's Front.

I sometimes feel like this place is turning in to that scene with the People's Front of Judea, the Judean People's Front, and the highly touted Judean Popular People's Front.

Splitters!

Not to mention the all-inclusive Judean People's Front and Back.

Oh I got it.  One of my favorite not scout appropriate movies.... 

I always seemed to remember that it just wasn't scout appropriate as the Scouts starting quoting huge chunks of it sitting around the campfire.   :eek:

About then, I'd usually remember that when I was a scout, we we're quoting huge chunks of George Carlin.

I always seemed to remember that it just wasn't scout appropriate as the Scouts starting quoting huge chunks of it sitting around the campfire.   :eek:

About then, I'd usually remember that when I was a scout, we we're quoting huge chunks of George Carlin.

I remember when I was a scout at summer camp, on skit nights we would usually see multiple Monty Python skits. The most popular of was the Lumberjack Song. I remember one year where there were three renditions by three different troops on the same night (with one ending with the scout in full drag). Not sure how scout appropriate it was, but everyone seemed to love it.

Troops weren't allowed to do the Lumberjack Song at my summer camp - not because it was inappropriate but because it was reserved as the go to skit for Staff (and that's both staffs, on both sides of the lake - we had an East and a West Camp - both with their own dining halls, waterfronts, trading posts, shooting sports ranges, etc.).  When I did a turn as a CIT at the camp, we actually had time blocked out during training week to practice the song.

Troops weren't allowed to do the Lumberjack Song at my summer camp - not because it was inappropriate but because it was reserved as the go to skit for Staff (and that's both staffs, on both sides of the lake - we had an East and a West Camp - both with their own dining halls, waterfronts, trading posts, shooting sports ranges, etc.).  When I did a turn as a CIT at the camp, we actually had time blocked out during training week to practice the song.

I am sure the new membership will not look kindly to that song.