• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are we clinging to BSA?  There used to be a value to having 'Eagle Scout' on your resume.  Not so much anymore. The mud flung at Scouting has stuck. Eagle may now be a negative: "Oh, you excelled

We are Catholic. We have God on retainer.

It's already been done, so I don't think it's a matter of "should"

Should Catholics form their own Scout organization?

As a Catholic Assistant Scoutmaster, the answer is no.  Every alternative Scouting organization I've seen basically pales to the current BSA. Could the current BSA be better? Sure, but every alternative I've seen has been either a close copy or has been weak.  There is no reason for a Catholic Scout Organization. 

• Upvote 1

I wasn't thinking of an "alternative program."  I was thinking of a Boy Scout organization sanctioned by WOSM.

The Catholic Church already owns campgrounds.  We have one about 15 miles from my house.

Edited by David CO

Use BSA camp grounds? Maybe once a year for summer camp, but that's about it. Most units I know use national and state parks, private or public land and other such areas. High adventure can easily be done (and cheaper) by doing your own thing. Summer camps are becoming MB factories and, as many have pointed out here, can be run by a unit with a higher degree of quality control. Cheaper too.

If BSA wants to hang their hat on that revenue stream it won't get very much money.

Use BSA camp grounds? Maybe once a year for summer camp, but that's about it. Most units I know use national and state parks, private or public land and other such areas. High adventure can easily be done (and cheaper) by doing your own thing.

This gets into 'program' but that's pretty much what we do. Plus it relaxes a lot of the restrictions that are placed on the 'official' places, like the arbitrary age limit for one.

Moreover, the alternative gives the PLC and  boys a lot more planning and leadership opportunities.

Some of the council camps I have known well are now becoming surrounded by gated communities and suburbs. The National Forests and Parks and private lands offer a lot of great options.

Sure, why not - then they can pay big dollars to the BSA, the GSA and to Lutheran Church camps to rent their facilities for camping trips.

Or, given the BSA's/GSA's current propensity for selling its camps to meet payroll, the Vatican Scouts might as well buy a few! :)

Or, given the BSA's/GSA's current propensity for selling its camps to meet payroll, the Vatican Scouts might as well buy a few! :)

Maybe we can sell Communion Wafers for a fund raiser? ;) 

Given yesterday's decision, I wonder if I can now camp with my daughters' GS troop without having to camp 1,000,000 yards away and treated like a second-class person. Maybe I should sue to get that policy changed. Could you imagine if we treated anyone like that in BSA?

I wasn't thinking of an "alternative program."  I was thinking of a Boy Scout organization sanctioned by WOSM.

The Catholic Church already owns campgrounds.  We have one about 15 miles from my house.

WOSM won't recognize "sectarian" scouting associations any more, and I doubt they would recognize one HQ'd in the Vatican anyway. Low population most of whom are elderly men.

Given yesterday's decision, I wonder if I can now camp with my daughters' GS troop without having to camp 1,000,000 yards away and treated like a second-class person. Maybe I should sue to get that policy changed. Could you imagine if we treated anyone like that in BSA?

so right!

Things are changing surprisingly quickly.  It wasn't long ago that most people thought that BSA would not accept a change of policy.

I don't know how WOSM will react.  I may be surprised.

Perhaps the Sovereign Military Order of Malta would be a better choice.  It has its own diplomatic status, currency, and postage stamps.  The Maltese cross would look great on a Scout uniform.   

I could have great fun leading "crusader Scouts."

The wafers would sell better than popcorn!

The GSA:   lol, if your GSA council is like the one my daughter was in, when I was a brownie co-leader, men were not very welcome.    I was tolerated, at best.   Yes, if the BSA had something like that going, there would be plenty of offended people who would reach out to the media, and the media would eagerly latch on and write up yet another story that made the BSA look bad.