It seems in most council they promote the contingents. And never promote working on staff, because they want to fill the contingents first. OR after the contingent nothing is mention about staff. I hear off and on that I never new I could be on staff. OR once you apply for the council tries to get you to be a leader for the contingent. Also there is never mention you can go for the Half price youth fair which come up is $295 and adult $595. They would rather charge you $$$$ price.

The Council's job is to provide leadership for the contingent and a means for boys to go to Jamboree. The Council's job is not to find staff workers for Jamboree. The contingent is job one for them. Making you aware of staff positions is second. It has nothing to do with making money. Most Councils expend money and time for Jamboree, they don't make money off of it. At our very first Jambo meeting, we were told how many positions there were for leadership and that they usually got far more applications than slots. They told us that if we didn't make the cut and still wanted to go, we could attend as staff members. I don't see a conspiracy here. They told us both ways we could attend. One is cheaper and almost surefire. The other will require a great deal of money, time and effort and you must be selected from a group of applicants. Most Councils have no problem filling the leadership positions fairly quickly and have an alternate waiting list. If you don't want to go that way, apply for staff.

Our Council will send two troops to the Jamboree. Each troop will have a Scoutmaster and three ASM's. Along with seventy-two Boy Scouts. The price tag for Scouts and Leaders attending the Jamboree from our council is $895.00. I do have the price of the Jamboree in my Jamboree file, but it's in the car and I'm too lazy to go to the garage. If my memory serves me right I think the cost is a little over $500.00. The expenses that the Council has are many. We use luxury coaches to bus the contingent to Fort AP Hill and home again. Not a cheap undertaking as the coach makes two trips when empty. We use a furniture moving van for all the troop and personal equipment. Which is loaded a week or so before the event. This too has to make a trip home and a trip back empty. There is the cost of the training weekend along with a fair amount of new equipment. We provide all those attendees with a Jamboree cap a couple of t-shirts,ten CSP's and a meal on the way there and one on the way back. These Scouts and Leaders are the reason why there is a Jamboree.

Of course a Jamboree Staff is needed. I can't imagine what the cost would be if these volunteers didn't pay their own way.

My Son who will be 17 at the time of the Jamboree decided that he wanted to be on staff. He will report three days early, has to pay for his own transportation and will not receive anything from the council. His application was OKed by the Scout Exec. But he is going to the Jamboree to work.He will of course have some free time but he is there to serve the needs of those that attend.

Our council has a history of sending a lot of people to staff the Jamboree. Guys who unload the food trucks in the middle of the night or work in the kitchens feeding the other staff members. One of the Vice Presidents of the Council is in charge of Action Center D. He is working his tail off recruiting people to staff all the areas in that action center. If you visit the web page there is almost as much information about staffing the Jamboree as there is about attending the Jamboree. I know in our council that in every district there is at least one Leader pushing to recruit as many staff members as he can get. Finding the Troop Leaders wasn't a hard job. We didn't need to push that.

Eamonn

In our council what ever the contingent gets such as patches or t-shirt the staff is also availbale to get the same. As it was put to me they to represents the council. Glad to see some councils do promote both ways