Mormons Will Re-Evaluate Relationship With Bsa

I have a friend in their IT division.. 

That's fascinating, do their hold the same dismal view of their IT as many of us on the outside hold?

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think all this discussion on Trail Life is pointless.  I'm fairly certain the LDS church is not going to want to be associated with another church's program for boys, especially one that requires a

Since no one else mentioned it, I am posting the link for the National Catholic Committee on Scouting Response. http://www.nccs-bsa.org/pdf/letters/NCCS%20Statement-150727.pdf   We Catholics seem to

From the OP link,   I can understand LDS being upset with this vote scheduled in July. Wasn't this originally planned for October?   I can understand LDS concern about the limited global reach of

Thank-you T2Eagle.. The Catholic priest that charters a pack and troop had verbally told me something to that effect about a year back, but I thought that I would hang back and see if what he indicated was what they truly followed through with now that the hypothetical is a reality..  I am glad to see that it was..  I am sure that individual Catholic churches whose leaders and/or congregation are strongly conservative may still choose to no longer charter a BSA youth group as an individual choice.. But, it will be individual and not the church as a whole, which is good as it respects and supports their less conservative congregations..

One interesting outcome of the decision.  Today my work opened up $1 for $1 matching for BSA and they will donate money for every hour of volunteer work that I put in.  Assuming this is the same for other tech companies, suddenly the financial loss of losing LDS could be eased.

I believe that after the dust settles the issue will go away.  All leaders need to be approved by the LDS church, since the church is so against homosexuality, clearly they would never appoint(approve) a leader who is gay,  How can they be a member of the church if that is the issue.  If they are gay and part of the church then scouting isn't the issue they are dealing with.  Just my opinion that isn't work 2 cents.

IF you truly value the basic tenets of Scouting and want to make it available, then you stay and work it and simply do your best to keep the stupidity and yellow press out of it if possible.

Skeptic, I agree with this.   However, the yellow press has been given engraved invitations by the BSA.    They aren't going away now.

Edited by desertrat77

I have a friend in their IT division. He said it was happenstance. They (PR Dept) did not know what Gates was going to say.

Funny, those wanting change could have done the same thing, right. So somehow those who oppose the change if they don't do as you suggest don't somehow value the basic tenets of scouting? That's a big double-standard don't you think?

At some point change affects your personal beliefs and you may need to vote with your feet, yet still uphold the basic tenets of scouting dearly.

Thanks Bad Wolf, most illuminating!   I'm a little surprised that the BSA PR department was unaware that their National President was going to make a historic speech, one that announced a potentially controversial decision   It wasn't an off-the-cuff deal, it looked well crafted when I read it.   In a normal organization, someone in PR would have coordinated on a draft and offered suggestions/edits.    Someone in PR should have been prepping press releases, getting ready for the requests for interviews, fielding comments from the public, pro and con.   Sorry for the rambling, just thinking aloud.    Well, I guess I should not be surprised.

Skeptic, I agree with this.   However, the yellow press has been given engraved invitations by the BSA.    They aren't going away now.

Sadly, this has the ring of truth. But with all the prognostications, all of us will just have to 'wait and see' what happens

Edited by packsaddle

That's fascinating, do their hold the same dismal view of their IT as many of us on the outside hold?

Yes. And they hate the fact that their IT decisions are made by technology Luddites. 

Thanks Bad Wolf, most illuminating!   I'm a little surprised that the BSA PR department was unaware that their National President was going to make a historic speech, one that announced a potentially controversial decision   

It should be no surprise their right hand has no idea what the left is doing. I know you are not really surprised. ;)

Does anyone elese find the irony in the suggestion that TLA relax their standards in order to provide an alternative to the LDS while bemoaning the change of standards in the BSA?

The Holy Trinity, in the end, is not that much of a compromise versus the gay issue. Apples and oranges.

Yes. And they hate the fact that their IT decisions are made by technology Luddites. 

It should be no surprise their right hand has no idea what the left is doing. I know you are not really surprised. ;)

Bad Wolf, I wish your friend and his colleagues all the best.   My constant carping aside, I now understand the agony they must deal with every day.   Was in similar situations myself in the military when it came to IT issues.   

You're right, I'm really not surprised...but what is the right word to describe the dawning realization PR was cut out of the coord process on such a historic speech?   Whatever word I'm searching for, I'm sure the PR dept was searching for it too when they realized that Mr. Gates proceeded with drafting a such a speech and delivering it without their input.    There might have been a few long moments of silence in the office as they digested what just happened.  

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

The Holy Trinity, in the end, is not that much of a compromise versus the gay issue. Apples and oranges.

Your kidding right? The whole point of Trail Life USA was to keep the organization religiously pure. That is why their stance on gays was similar to the new BSA one they were supposedly protesting:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/faith-based-group-starting-alternative-boy-scouts-will-allow-gay-v19378560

It wasn't really about gays, it was about religion.

Your kidding right? The whole point of Trail Life USA was to keep the organization religiously pure. That is why their stance on gays was similar to the new BSA one they were supposedly protesting:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/faith-based-group-starting-alternative-boy-scouts-will-allow-gay-v19378560

It wasn't really about gays, it was about religion.

For many that is not two issues.

• Upvote 1

I knew Trail Life was open to gay youth while it supposedly was that issue that caused them to form a new organization.. I did not know they beat BSA to the punch with accepting gay Adult Leaders.. WOW...   In light of that, yeah I would say it had to be religious purity and LDS just doesn't make the grade in their eyes..

Bad Wolf - maybe apples and oranges, but the homosexuals are in and  LDS (and other non-Christian adults) are out.. So if you want to leave BSA to move to Trails Life over the new leadership policy which accepts homosexual adults, why would you want to move to a group that accepts them also, but depending on your religion may not accept you as an adult leader?